Decisions, decisions!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Decisions, decisions!!

We had the chance to install the great man Harves but we went for Watters.
We also had the chance to relocate back to St kilda but we chose Seaford.
We also had the chance to play home games at the MCG but chose Docklands.
We also had the chance to build a huge supporter base in Tassie but chose to leave.

How many did we get right out of 4?

IMHFO....we got zero out of 4.

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Decisions, decisions!!

citywest wrote:We also had the chance to relocate back to St kilda but we chose Seaford.
Please advise us all on the finer details of this "chance"?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

P!ss off anus-helen...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
citywest

SaintPav wrote:P!ss off anus-helen...
Who the hell is this helen?

I was just asking for discussion. What's wrong with that?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
citywest wrote:We also had the chance to relocate back to St kilda but we chose Seaford.
Please advise us all on the finer details of this "chance"?
Plays for the Dawks, doesn't he?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

yeah, and I haven't seen a quarter-time orange wedge in over 20 years…

b.t.w
What's the difference between a gnome?

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

citywest wrote:We had the chance to install the great man Harves but we went for Watters.
We also had the chance to build a huge supporter base in Tassie but chose to leave.

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We never had the chance to appoint Harves as coach - he required experience which he is getting at C'wood.
We never had the chance to go back to St.Kilda - why would we be a Sub Tenant of the Cricket Club with no control.
We were never given the chance to play home games at MCG - AFL controlled that one.
We were never given the chance to build on the Tasmania trial by the Tassy Government - Hawthorn were.

How many did YOU get right out of 4?

A FAT ZERO.

citywest

GoSaintersGo wrote:
citywest wrote:We had the chance to install the great man Harves but we went for Watters.

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We never had the chance to appoint Harves as coach - he required experience which he is getting at C'wood.
We never had the chance to go back to St.Kilda - why would we be a Sub Tenant of the Cricket Club with no control.
We were never given the chance to play home games at MCG - AFL controlled that one.
We were never given the chance to build on the Tasmania trial by the Tassy Government - Hawthorn were.

A FAT ZERO.
Harvey applied for the job and we knocked him back.
We could have gone back to St kilda but fat Archie did not want to.
When Waverly closed we chose Docklands, Hawthorn chose the MCG. AFL had no say.
Butters and co decided to abandon Tassie.

You really should make sure you have the right information before you open your big mouth.

Austinnn
Club Player

Here's your discussion, troll...

FOE LISTED

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
GoSaintersGo wrote:

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A FAT ZERO.
Harvey applied for the job and we knocked him back.
We could have gone back to St kilda but fat Archie did not want to.
When Waverly closed we chose Docklands, Hawthorn chose the MCG. AFL had no say.
Butters and co decided to abandon Tassie.

You really should make sure you have the right information before you open your big mouth.
Garbage that we could have gone back to St Kilda: the same sort of NIMBY nonsense that drove us out of Moorabbin would surely have blown up tenfold had we tried to develop modern training facilities in St Kilda. Going to a more or less greenfields site in the burbs was always the way to go.

And it is complete rubbish to suggest that we would have been allowed to choose the G as our home when Waverley closed. The less glamorous clubs were always going to be press-ganged into Docklands. Anyway, I reckon it has turned out pretty well for us, on the whole. We haven't exactly got a massive supporter base and we have become extremely hard to beat at Docklands.

I think it's fair to say that we could have appointed Harvey as coach: but he wasn't found to be the best applicant. You have to trust the club with these things. If you don't like the way they're done, why don't you run for the board? (Of course, I doubt that the members really want unemployed 17 year olds to represent them on the board, but who knows for sure? You should run and see what happens.)

We certainly could have negotiated to stay in Tassie and get a better deal from the Tassie Govt, if we had wanted to (there are overwhelmingly more Sainters fans in Tassie than there are for any other club, and the Tassie Government would therefore have responded favourably if we had held out for a better deal). But GT rightly pointed out that the Tassie games were a distraction - we always seemed to struggle to win games at York Park - and I think our overall performance has been better as a result of our choosing to focus on Docklands as a home ground.

So I make it 2 good decisions, and 2 matters over which we didn't have any choice whatsoever.

FWIW

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're obviously a troll and not a true St Kilda person.

Your post is beneath contempt.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:P!ss off anus-helen...
:lol: :lol:

That's why the ignore button is good, I have this chookfeeder blocked

I love this club
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The Tassie Decision was a short sighted mistake.......actually a disgusting move

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The Tassie Decision was a short sighted mistake.......actually a disgusting move
They might have dumped it because we were struggling to win our games there.....far from disgusting if that is why...unless you're a loser

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So the ground is why we were losing.....ffs

Or the travel.....again ffs

To be a great team you have to win outside and interstate......remember the anywhere, anytime comment.....rubbish

Maybe if we didn't run after a loss or two back to our comfy indoor perfect conditions stadium and played the odd game in s*** conditions with wind and rain and a slippery ball....we could have coped a bit better in Septembers

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So the ground is why we were losing.....ffs

Or the travel.....again ffs

To be a great team you have to win outside and interstate......remember the anywhere, anytime comment.....rubbish

Maybe if we didn't run after a loss or two back to our comfy indoor perfect conditions stadium and played the odd game in s*** conditions with wind and rain and a slippery ball....we could have coped a bit better in Septembers
FFS has got f..k all to do with it..they decided there was no advantage playing in Tassie so they dumped it...FFS how hard is it to comprehend

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No advantage, on what front....... Hawthorn seem to think otherwise, and I think I know whose administration I'd back.

It was a pathetic, weak, short sighted poor decision....simple as that

We struggled to win there....so instead of addressing the issue as to why, the best solution was to just not play there....
Maybe try and embrace the joint, HTFU......as I said, adressing the very reasons as to why we struggled in Tas would have assisted us late in Sept......in 09/10

Hawthorn are laughing all the way to the bank, will probably win their second flag since we pulled out of Tassie and gave them the run of the place....ffs their major sponsor is tourism Tasmania now, and a lazy 10 000 members there

I am Tasmanian, and stk support in Tas is like bayside in Melbourne....rampant, to turn your back on supporters is disgusting...

We only had Baldock, Stewart, Breen, Howell, Lawrence hail from there....we owe a bit to Tassie....

But at least we bagged a couple of cheap wins at Etihad

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

May have cost us the 2004 flag playing in Tassie. Lost to Port Adelaide in Tassie and who got the home PF. You guessed it Port. Would have backed us if that game was in Melbourne. Have no idea who may have won the Tassie. We got killed but then our record at Etihad was pretty good.

And we didnt turn our back on supporters. Our home ground is Etihad. You could actually say we turned our back on Vic supporters going to Tassie in the first place.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Luck they don't play finals at Etihad.....or it may well have....

If we couldn't beat Port in Tassie in 2004.... We didn't deserve a home final....they did because they won.

I don't run excuses, if you are good enough you win.

And I didn't realize we were turning our back on the supporters in Melbourne....I thought we still played 15 home games in Melbourne....explain how that is turning ones back, are you that selfish that you could not afford the taswegiens a chance to see one or two games at the expense of you seeing 15 instead of 16...remember the Tas deal meant we played interstate one time less .. As I said we do owe them a little...they did deliver us two legends and probably our premiership, so bit of f***ing respect.....

Has playing in Tassie cost Hawthorn???

No, they just embraced it, benefitted from it and they deserve the success form it....
Better Administration

Good try though

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ahh sliding doors- Should I have gone on that date back in 1972? I wonder what he's doing now......

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Luck they don't play finals at Etihad.....or it may well have....

If we couldn't beat Port in Tassie in 2004.... We didn't deserve a home final....they did because they won.

I don't run excuses, if you are good enough you win.

And I didn't realize we were turning our back on the supporters in Melbourne....I thought we still played 15 home games in Melbourne....explain how that is turning ones back, are you that selfish that you could not afford the taswegiens a chance to see one or two games at the expense of you seeing 15 instead of 16...remember the Tas deal meant we played interstate one time less .. As I said we do owe them a little...they did deliver us two legends and probably our premiership, so bit of f***ing respect.....

Has playing in Tassie cost Hawthorn???

No, they just embraced it, benefitted from it and they deserve the success form it....
Better Administration

Good try though

So we should play there because they gave us legends. Interesting theory. Maybe we play in Ballarat. The point was it could have cost us a GF. Pot kettle black to arrogance. you are the king of it. Dont even quote other posters. At least i learnt something from this thread. You and Tim Lane have at least 2 things in common. Both come from tassie and the other is more obvious.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Take your bat and ball.....

BTW - those legends gave us thousands of supporters who love and grew up supporting the saints because they played at stk.... I am one of them.

And I think people from Ballarat can drive an hour or so to watch Melbourne games......

Question 1.... You don't feel we could give a little back to the HUGE Tassie following we have??

Question 2..... Has it hurt Hawthorn, who TURNED their backs on Melbourne supporters to play two games in Tassie

And I don't like Tim Lane much, but he knows more about sport than you have forgotten..... There is a reason he is a sports commentator and your a ???? Whatever you are.....

Really P66 I know you're just being disagreeable, but not sure have a clue here......that is what's obvious

Austinnn
Club Player

I actually agree that pulling out of Tassie was the wrong move, even though I agree with P66 in that it was a distraction. Possibly a bit too early for us by a couple of years, when we were still one of the clubs the rich Vic clubs were hoping would move interstate.

But, while we were there, how much did our membership increase by? (Spare us the 2 head jokes)

I think if we'd stuck to our guns we could've made it work, but what do I know? They obviously pulled out for a well-analysed reason. Let's hope the NZ deal doesn't suffer a similar fate.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we pulled out of Tassie, but are going to NZ....

Interesting...

Like some poor recruiting decisions, pulling out of Tassie (because our player preferred playing at the dome) will be a decision we rue, and watch others benefit from

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Take your bat and ball.....

BTW - those legends gave us thousands of supporters who love and grew up supporting the saints because they played at stk.... I am one of them.

And I think people from Ballarat can drive an hour or so to watch Melbourne games......

Question 1.... You don't feel we could give a little back to the HUGE Tassie following we have??

Question 2..... Has it hurt Hawthorn, who TURNED their backs on Melbourne supporters to play two games in Tassie

And I don't like Tim Lane much, but he knows more about sport than you have forgotten..... There is a reason he is a sports commentator and your a ???? Whatever you are.....

Really P66 I know you're just being disagreeable, but not sure have a clue here......that is what's obvious

Me disagreeable maybe but you make me sound like I agree on everything. Firstly we owed Tassie nothing for the following we had but we went there anyway. May have left to early. i have no idea. Who knows if it would have worked as I think 2 clubs were there. That isnt ideal. i certainly wouldnt want us to be the club playing 4 home games there. That is my opinion and others will disagree. Hawthorn play 4 in Tassie not 2 and it hasnt hurt them at all. Doubt is has anything to do with a premiership though.

What am I BM? You wouldnt have a clue. So you have no idea of my sporting knowledge.