1999 tean

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

felix
Club Player

1999 tean

just watched eagles vs saints round 22 1999 on this site, does anyone know what happened to Walton and Mc Claren and Begley, they all played well in this particular game but cant recall if they played the following years ?. Great tto see Thompson, Beveridge, Heatley, Peckett, sziller going ok and a young lenny still looking and playing the same as always.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: 1999 tean

felix wrote:just watched eagles vs saints round 22 1999 on this site, does anyone know what happened to Walton and Mc Claren and Begley, they all played well in this particular game but cant recall if they played the following years ?
mclaren went to north for a year or two. begley went to adelaide for a while. no idea what happened to walton, he just kinda stopped getting games i think.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:just watched eagles vs saints round 22 1999 on this site, does anyone know what happened to Walton and Mc Claren and Begley, they all played well in this particular game but cant recall if they played the following years ?. Great tto see Thompson, Beveridge, Heatley, Peckett, sziller going ok and a young lenny still looking and playing the same as always.
From memory:

Walton never made it.

McLaren ended up at North but his knee(s) was gone (bone on bone) and didn't last long at the Roos. I think we got Capuano in the deal.

Begley sought and got a trade to the Crows after one of his mates from Adelaide was killed in the Bali bombing.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

What site?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:What site?

this site
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69836&start=25

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
felix
Club Player

Cheers for the info , Walton was all over Glenn jakovich looked to have the goods but hardly remember him.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I thought this thread was going to be about Kimmy again... :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

felix wrote:Cheers for the info , Walton was all over Glenn jakovich looked to have the goods but hardly remember him.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that picking Walton instead of Adam Goodes wasn't our best moment at the draft table, especially after Goodes ripped up the U18's GF on the MCG, on GF day in 1997, right under our noses (kicking 6 goals and looking like he has all his AFL career in the process). :shock: :cry:

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
felix wrote:Cheers for the info , Walton was all over Glenn jakovich looked to have the goods but hardly remember him.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that picking Walton instead of Adam Goodes wasn't our best moment at the draft table, especially after Goodes ripped up the U18's GF on the MCG, on GF day in 1997, right under our noses (kicking 6 goals and looking like he has all his AFL career in the process). :shock: :cry:
We aren't the best drafters in the comp...by a long way...there always seems to be ample evidence to back that up... :evil:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
We aren't the best drafters in the comp...by a long way...there always seems to be ample evidence to back that up... :evil:
Goodes went at pick 43 so I think there'd be quite a few clubs out there that would like another chance to call out his name.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I didn't get why he lasted till 43 then and I certainly still don't. :?:
I sat there at the MCG that day in awe, watching him play and was just hoping like hell that we'd somehow pick him up in the draft and to say I was disappointed we didn't, especially since he was still available at our first pick, would be a big understatement. :cry:

Reasonable to say that that wasn't our recruiting teams best day at the office, with our other selections being Ben Thompson, Sam Cranage, and Brent Cowell. :lol:
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 11 Apr 2012 3:49am, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We were very focussed on nick stevens from the northern knights.....he'd have been ok also

In 1999 we were seriously looking at rob Murphy and brad green.... We took Beetham

In 2004 we interviewed Andrew swallow in Perth and decided not to take him as a 17yo

In 2009 we had an opportunity to look at Ben cousins with the final selection in the draft....no

Heath Grundy was another slider that should never have been overlooked...he ended up a rookie, for dumb reasons

Jack riewoldt did work experience at stk in 2005.. Hamish Ogilvie said he was one of the best prospects to come out of Tasmania.....

Jackson trengove and Tom Swift were sliders in 2008.. ....

Jackson Darling was the mistake of the draft, really should have gone top 5.

This year.....the following talls slid......
Todd Elton....pick 27
Shane Kersen .....34
Michael Talia........39
Jackson Paine.......50
Fletcher Roberts....1 pre season draft
Sam Frost.............1 rookie draft
Andrew Bosely.......52 rookie Draft....
Julien Bovosz........ Not drafted..........Nth Hobart
Jack Coleman........ Not Drafted........Sandringham

Austinnn
Club Player

Anyone know what happened to Cayden Beetham?

I may be wrong, but didn't his obligatory Footy record interview state that if he wasn't a footballer, his ideal profession would be rapper?

I think that was the moment I knew he'd never make it in either profession. I hope he's been some good to someone, he sure wasn't any good for us.

Still burns, all those terrible decisions, but for me he's the worst.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

And has anyone heard any genuine reason/reasons why Goodes was overlooked by every single club, some multiple times, like West Coast 5 times, Freo 4 times and Essendon, Geelong and North 3 times (imagine how strong Essendon could have been in 2000/2001, with a young Adam Goodes in their team!). Did everyone decide they didn't want someone who was tall, with great footy talent and incredible athletic ability, or was there some other reason he was overlooked?
BigMart wrote:We were very focussed on nick stevens from the northern knights.....he'd have been ok also
Yeah he was the other one that I was very keen on from memory. Was very surprised he lasted till 25.

I'm pretty happy with our drafting in the last couple of years, though, especially with some of our higher picks (like Stanley, Siposs, Ledger) and our rookie selections.

Austinnn
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:And has anyone heard any genuine reason/reasons why Goodes was overlooked by every single club, some multiple times, like West Coast 5 times, Freo 4 times and Essendon, Geelong and North 3 times (imagine how strong Essendon could have been in 2000/2001, with a young Adam Goodes in their team!). Did everyone decide they didn't want someone who was tall, with great footy talent and incredible athletic ability, or was there some other reason he was overlooked?
BigMart wrote:We were very focussed on nick stevens from the northern knights.....he'd have been ok also
Yeah he was the other one that I was very keen on from memory. Was very surprised he lasted till 25.

I'm pretty happy with our drafting in the last couple of years, though, especially with some of our higher picks (like Stanley, Siposs, Ledger) and our rookie selections.
Maybe if one of his parents was white... :wink:

...I know Matt Rendell didn't join us til after that, but I'm sure he wasn't the only bloke to he scared off by, ahem, a footballer's 'heritage'. I'd hate to think that was the reason, maybe he didn't show much of an outgoing personality as a kid. Like you, I'd love to know... and love to know what our recruiters saw in all those nobodies we snaffled up.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

The thing is that Goodes comes from Victoria, living in Horsham when he was drafted, after also living in Adelaide at times and another couple of places, so it's not like he's from way out in the outback or anything and was likely to find it hard to adjust to city life and so on.
And I'm pretty sure Rendell is all for drafting the indigenous talent, he just didn't want things to get to the stage where they weren't being drafted because of their background/heritage.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The query on Goodes revolved around the fact he was very outside for a tall. He played more like a wingman/HF than a 194cm, there was a feeling that although he dominated against 17yo's he would not translate that. He was not big enough to be a free wheeling Ruckman, or competative enough one on one to be a KPP....in short, he was seen as soft....or so they believed.

Fact is, he has played all three roles in the AFL with success...

Sometimes recruiters cannot see the forest for the trees...and look for reasons not To recruit a kid and not at reasons to recruit a kids

The philosophy for recruiting should be simple

Football ability first.....winning the ball is the hardest thing to teach
Attitude second........if players are similarly talented, pick the better attitude....and attitude can be addressed
Skill/decision third........can be improved in young players over two or three seasons, as long as fundamentals are there
Physical Fourth......body shape, fitness, strength can be changed over two or three pre seasons

Sam Mitchell is the poster boy for football recruiting.

mcadam05
Club Player

Walton did have a couple of bright moment''s in the darkness of Geelong ;)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Goodes was pretty average in his first few seasons at the swans .. In fact I clearly remember him being touted as a trade to freo at one stage ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
felix
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote:Walton did have a couple of bright moment''s in the darkness of Geelong ;)

That must have been Timmy Watsons finest hour , great last quarter , some brilliant Robert Harvey moves on this one.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Austinnn wrote:Anyone know what happened to Cayden Beetham?

I may be wrong, but didn't his obligatory Footy record interview state that if he wasn't a footballer, his ideal profession would be rapper?

I think that was the moment I knew he'd never make it in either profession. I hope he's been some good to someone, he sure wasn't any good for us.

Still burns, all those terrible decisions, but for me he's the worst.
Yes curious on this one too.

He just ...quit one day. Last i heard he was playing with old xavier?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
KingSaint
Club Player

Remember this game well...was played at the WACA on a wet night and we were sitting in cr@ppy metal stands at the eastern end. Thank god they don't play footy there anymore.

Anyhoo...I digress...Saints came over twice in 1999...first game at Subi was the one where the umpire marked the ball!!! Second was this game at the WACA where Guy Mckenna called for a head count as he thought the Saints had one extra player on the ground...of course the problem was that the saint were allover Westcoast that night...and Mckenna was on Harvey, who was giving him a bath...no wonder he thought there was a extra Saints player.

Two of the most unusual events you will ever see...and probably not see again...both involving the Saints over here.