Armo also up for Unsung hero

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Armo also up for Unsung hero

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/unsungh ... 6327690174
keep clicking till you get to David and then ensure he is the last player you click on

other wise first player gets more votes

he's coming about 4th now

ADN YOU CAN VOTE Again and again and again.... about 100 behind

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Re: Armo also up for Unsung hero

If he keeps playing the way he did on Sat, then we are in for a surprisingly better year than what most of us expected.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

good on him - gets a boot when not playng well so deserves plaudits when he delivers.

Keep it up Dave!!

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

he's moved up to 3rd over 300 votes

but someone from the tigers has been on the button- batchelors on 600+

Batchelor obviously has jack and friends on the task- up to 1,200
Dave's in second.
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 17 Apr 2012 12:31am, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

But I was told he wasn't much chop???

He has more talent than we have even seen yet, wait until he actually gets some self belief...... That his former coach failed to assist him with....

Stanley too

Lynch too

Walsh too

And a heap of other kids who never fired a shot, because they never even got one....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:But I was told he wasn't much chop???

He has more talent than we have even seen yet, wait until he actually gets some self belief...... That his former coach failed to assist him with....

Stanley too

Lynch too

Walsh too

And a heap of other kids who never fired a shot, because they never even got one....
Its interesting......will be fascinating over the course of this year to see how these guys progress under new coaches...

Im quietly coming round to the view that our timing and choice in Watters may have been just right.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

where is dwoodrow?
armo is going really well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Stanley too

Lynch too

Walsh too

Please if you are going to say things at least be honest. Stanley was given plenty of chances in 2010 and last year his form was poor in the seconds and was also injured. Lynch was given a few chances and didnt grasp them. Who knows if he is good enough anyway. Walsh should have played maybe 2 or 3 games at the most and it looks like the Sydney coach has the same opinion of him at the moment. We have heaps of kids who didnt fire a shot. That is true but it seems most of them that are gone werent good enough otherwise it seems 17 other clubs have made the same mistake as us because most werent redrafted.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Stanley too

Lynch too

Walsh too

Please if you are going to say things at least be honest. Stanley was given plenty of chances in 2010 and last year his form was poor in the seconds and was also injured. Lynch was given a few chances and didnt grasp them. Who knows if he is good enough anyway. Walsh should have played maybe 2 or 3 games at the most and it looks like the Sydney coach has the same opinion of him at the moment. We have heaps of kids who didnt fire a shot. That is true but it seems most of them that are gone werent good enough otherwise it seems 17 other clubs have made the same mistake as us because most werent redrafted.
Come on Plugger. You know that is not the case. Mini was drafted by the GC. Hyene was drafted by Carlton. Cahill is ripping it up somewhere
and it's only a matter of time before someone notices and he'll be drafted as well...sheesh..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
VODM
Club Player

Steptoe and Son, Dad and Dave, Starsky and Hutch, Plugger and BigMart.......

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

didn't Wil Johnson go to Hawks?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
dragit
Saintsational Legend

VODM wrote:Steptoe and Son, Dad and Dave, Starsky and Hutch, Plugger and BigMart.......
:D

VODM
Club Player

+1

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You believe what you want.... Ill go with what happened....

I was sure Roo was injured in 2010 and rhys was given an opportunity in his absence.... Why did he go backwards in 2011???

Why was the player academy introduced..... Because of our neglected development program , which was miles behind collingwood, Carlton, essendon, Geelong and hawthorn.
I saw Ross at Sandringham once, I think he was looking for the yacht club and stumbled on a game of footy, he thought he recognized a few of the players..... But couldn't quite remember their names?? Andrew smith, Tim Cahill and a couple of Tommy's ..... He didn't remember which was which

Let's face it p66 I don't think development of players was Rossy's strength.

Armo 3 votes.... Two weeks later in the VFL
Tom Lynch.... Never played two on the trot, ridiculous
Geary...... Has he played a final
Will Johnson.... He was shocking in his one opportunity, even though he was knocked out in 2 minutes.... Omitted

He really did put faith in some kids, and gave them plenty of opportunities....

Do you want to know why Geelong were able to win last year.....their coach had the balls to play, christianson, Duncan, menzel, vardy in key roles..... And didn't try and talk around c.ling and b.ottens ala Gehrig, gardiner
He is continually evolving the side.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You believe what you want.... Ill go with what happened....

I was sure Roo was injured in 2010 and rhys was given an opportunity in his absence.... Why did he go backwards in 2011???

Why was the player academy introduced..... Because of our neglected development program , which was miles behind collingwood, Carlton, essendon, Geelong and hawthorn.
I saw Ross at Sandringham once, I think he was looking for the yacht club and stumbled on a game of footy, he thought he recognized a few of the players..... But couldn't quite remember their names?? Andrew smith, Tim Cahill and a couple of Tommy's ..... He didn't remember which was which

Let's face it p66 I don't think development of players was Rossy's strength.

Armo 3 votes.... Two weeks later in the VFL
Tom Lynch.... Never played two on the trot, ridiculous
Geary...... Has he played a final
Will Johnson.... He was shocking in his one opportunity, even though he was knocked out in 2 minutes.... Omitted

He really did put faith in some kids, and gave them plenty of opportunities....

Do you want to know why Geelong were able to win last year.....their coach had the balls to play, christianson, Duncan, menzel, vardy in key roles..... And didn't try and talk around c.ling and b.ottens ala Gehrig, gardiner
He is continually evolving the side.....

Well every time I went to Sandy Ross was there so that story has holes in it. Of course Stanley played in 2010 but of course there is also an excuse why he played. The point is he played and didnt take his chance and he had many. Armo played 13 games in 2008 so he was given many chances in his second year. My guess is he was asked to work on certain aspects of his game in 2009 and that is why he didnt play much. We also won 19 in a row but of course that doesnt matter we should have dropped guys. Sides didnt really rest players in that time, you were dropped. Tom Lynch never did well enough when given a chance and that is fact. Geary has played many games so we mantion finals to prove he was given a chance. Johnson is obviously a good player. just forgot what AFL club picked him up. Can you tell me?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

2011 he dramatically changed the way he went about it, or don't you agree P66?

Why?

That's all I want to know, and only because I'm curious, not upset or anything.

Why did he change his stance of having to let bodies mature over a couple of years, by suddenly playing all those first year kids?

He obviously went for the Saints job with a plan to get recycled players and try to compliment the list he had so he could go for a flag, so he probably did so with their blessing. Why did he then draft a bunch of kids end of 2010 and not trade again?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Cos Pelchen made him do it.
So he took his bat and ball and f***ed off!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:2011 he dramatically changed the way he went about it, or don't you agree P66?

Why?

Why did he change his stance of having to let bodies mature over a couple of years, by suddenly playing all those first year kids?

He obviously went for the Saints job with a plan to get recycled players and try to compliment the list he had so he could go for a flag, so he probably did so with their blessing. Why did he then draft a bunch of kids end of 2010 and not trade again?

Yes he changed. Have no idea why. Maybe he realised those same players couldnt get the job done or maybe he was told to play young kids. Dont see why it matters as you seemed to think whatever he did was right at the time.

elizabethr
Club Player

Re: Armo also up for Unsung heroo

Voted for Armo and have read the comments here and elsewhere on this forum.
It is truly laughable to see the same old posters choking on their continuous criticisms of this player.
Also the poster aboves inability to say anything positive towards him or the current coach.
I for one am looking forward to seeing that stupid Lyon suffer more embarresment on Friday night!

nothing to say
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:2011 he dramatically changed the way he went about it, or don't you agree P66?

Why?

Yes he changed. Have no idea why. Maybe he realised those same players couldnt get the job done or maybe he was told to play young kids. Dont see why it matters as you seemed to think whatever he did was right at the time.
I just wanted the discussion to be factual.

He wasn't the coach for 2010, it was over 5 years, what he did in his last 12 months isn't how he should be judged....good or bad.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why?

He wasn't the coach for 2010, it was over 5 years, what he did in his last 12 months isn't how he should be judged....good or bad.

And it was fact that he played Armo for 13 games in his second year in 2008 so he was prepared to play young kids and in a good side. He played Stanley for about 8 games in 2010 so he was prepared to play young kids. There was a small matter of winning 19 in a row in 2009 and sides didnt really rest players like they do now. You were dropped if not in the side back then even though he did rest players in round 19 and some on here were complaining we would wreck our winning streak which meant nothing in the scheme of things. Steven was often injured with bad groins and apart from Armo most of our young guys were crap and that isnt his fault, that is the recruiting.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yes he changed. Have no idea why. Maybe he realised those same players couldnt get the job done or maybe he was told to play young kids. Dont see why it matters as you seemed to think whatever he did was right at the time.

And it was fact that he played Armo for 13 games in his second year in 2008 so he was prepared to play young kids and in a good side. He played Stanley for about 8 games in 2010 so he was prepared to play young kids. There was a small matter of winning 19 in a row in 2009 and sides didnt really rest players like they do now. You were dropped if not in the side back then even though he did rest players in round 19 and some on here were complaining we would wreck our winning streak which meant nothing in the scheme of things. Steven was often injured with bad groins and apart from Armo most of our young guys were crap and that isnt his fault, that is the recruiting.
I understand it was hard to get kids into the team in 2009 and to an extent 2010.

And I know Ross did play some kids in 2011, especially early before injuries set in.

My main issue is not with him not playing the kids but rather in the way it is reported that he treated the kids. Now I don’t know for sure and I’m the first one to say you shouldn’t believe everything you hear – particularly on sites such as this.

However there does seem to be a significant school of thought that Ross treated the established players far differently to the guys who regularly played for Sandy. It’s one thing to have to play VFL to develop your craft however you still need to feel you’re part of the team and part of the future of the club.

Is that being unfair on Ross? Did those things really happen? I’ve got no idea.

However occasionally you have to make a judgement and there is just enough noise floating around to make me believe there was indeed a problem in that area.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armo also up for Unsung heroo

elizabethr wrote:Voted for Armo and have read the comments here and elsewhere on this forum.
It is truly laughable to see the same old posters choking on their continuous criticisms of this player.
Also the poster aboves inability to say anything positive towards him or the current coach.
I for one am looking forward to seeing that stupid Lyon suffer more embarresment on Friday night!
Bit rich coming from you… What did you think of Joey's game? Would you call it a self-serving glory hunt-type performance?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:And it was fact that he played Armo for 13 games in his second year in 2008 so he was prepared to play young kids and in a good side. He played Stanley for about 8 games in 2010 so he was prepared to play young kids. There was a small matter of winning 19 in a row in 2009 and sides didnt really rest players like they do now. You were dropped if not in the side back then even though he did rest players in round 19 and some on here were complaining we would wreck our winning streak which meant nothing in the scheme of things. Steven was often injured with bad groins and apart from Armo most of our young guys were crap and that isnt his fault, that is the recruiting.
Would Stanley have played if Roo hadn't torn his hamstring? Would Ben have played if Gardi wasn't injured?

I'm talking about the extreme change in 2011 when kids were getting a shot, for no other reason than they appeared to be getting a shot.

I reckon it was a complete turnaround, just curiousity more than anything.

DWOODROW
Club Player

It is 2012
Scott Watters is the new St Kilda coach

Armo is playing alot better
Geary is playing alot better
Stanley is playing alot better
Wilkes has come in and is showing something
Cripps is getting a run
Newnes even though I havn't noticed him is getting touches and the call for ledger, sipposs and others are producing for Sandy.

Something has changed for the better.

We just need them to show consistancy.

That is all I have to say about that.