Some were good, but others dissapointed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Some were good, but others dissapointed

Joey
Milne
Sippos
Dal Santo
Jones

Kosi
Simpkin
Steven
Gram (yes)
Blake

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some were good, but others dissapointed

I thought Siposs was quite good. Didn't see his stats but certainly would keep him in the team. The others I agree with. Our midfield appeared as though it was getting slaughtered.

Richter
SS Life Member

I'd like to see the quarter by quarter stats on Siposs. Seemed quiet in the first half then I noticed him more in the 3rd q. Only got 11 possessions all up, which is not setting the world on fire, but at least you know when he gets it he can actually use it. A better option than Cripps now IMO.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I thought Siposs was quite good. Didn't see his stats but certainly would keep him in the team. The others I agree with. Our midfield appeared as though it was getting slaughtered.
I watched a different game then. Siposs was terrible. No where near hard enough. I was actually embarrassed for him on a few occasions. He will be good but tonight is a massive wake up call for him IMO.

thought Blake was one of saints best

kalsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:I thought Siposs was quite good. Didn't see his stats but certainly would keep him in the team. The others I agree with. Our midfield appeared as though it was getting slaughtered.
Did some good things but still a way off the required demonstration of skills and effort at times. Doesnt get near to the ball enough. Doesnt protect other players to proivde help. Can kick beautifully but never looked like shooting at goals to enable scoreboard pressured.

Milera has great skills but went to ground too much today and let off the opposition many times. Blake had a good game but also went to ground too much and was chasing bums a lot because of this.

2 Bad games for Geary in a row. Is not strong enough to break tackles the way he takes them on. Also goes to ground way too easily.

I liked Polos effort today. He does make mistakes at times but mot any worse than others who may have better proven skills but dont apply them well oan definitely dont apply the same effort.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
on the outer
Club Player

Siposs 8 kicks 3 handpasses 3 tackles not exactly at any risk of leather poisoning.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Compared well with Saad (who disappointed me) who had just 3 kicks and two handballs in a full half of footy. I thought he was not getting enough of the ball for Sandy. I dont know why he was selected at this stage, particulary in front of Ledger etc.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Sipposs is not yet at AFL level from a competitive viewpoint. He looked lost at times, not knowing what to do. He also lost a couple of one-on-one tussles through lack of expererince and lack of body strength.

As with a couple of others, he needs game time and more strength. He will be good for us in due course.

SaintWal
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Sipposs is not yet at AFL level from a competitive viewpoint. He looked lost at times, not knowing what to do. He also lost a couple of one-on-one tussles through lack of expererince and lack of body strength.

As with a couple of others, he needs game time and more strength. He will be good for us in due course.

Thankfully someone mentions game time. Give these kids a chance. Saad and Milera add pace. Sippo has beautiful foot skills but will take time to adjust back at this level. I think he needs to up his work rate and he will start to shine.

Dal was well held but has been good in general
Milne was innefectual
I disagree with Gram I thought he was ordinary but I am afraid I don't expect much from him these days. At his best he was a good break the line player with a penetrating kick and a reasonable long shot for goal on the run. Now I cringe when he has a shot on the run.
Polo adds grunt but his disposal under pressure is woeful.

On the positives you had to love Kosi, Simpkin, you got to love how he goes about it. Steven did not butcher the ball tonight which had been creeping into his game earlier in the season. Lenny - enough said - gives his all every time he pulls the jumper on.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Kosi, Simpkin, BJ, Steven - these were probably the best players for mine.

Siposs did enough to earn more opportunities. He has something that we desperately lack - foot skills. He just needs to find more of the ball. The same can be said of Milera.

Thought Rhys was disappointing last night.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Simpkin doesn't get a lot of comment. I think that he is playing well above his weight and doing a great job - and he will get better as he plays more games !!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thought Dal, BJ and Joey all struggled big style last night. But then that's easy for me to say - I don't have to break a tag, which is what they have to cope with every week.
Would love to see Siposs, Cripps and Ledger all in the same team again. Milera and Saad too, one in each forward pocket, until Schneider can get back in a month's time, and I think it's time for Milney to regain some confidence down at Sandringham.
Beau at CHF with Stanley at FF would make for a nice quick forward line. Kosi, Stanley and Blake rotating through the ruck until Macca comes back in 6 weeks.
Am a huge fan of Simpkin. This kid is a revelation.
Keep persisting with blokes like Newnes and Dunnell at the expense of Geary or Polo for mine. We have found some players at long last I think.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

on the outer wrote:Siposs 8 kicks 3 handpasses 3 tackles not exactly at any risk of leather poisoning.
Give him a go. He was showing real form last year until he got injured. More game time and experience will make a lot of difference with this kid, I reckon. A very exciting prospect. For some reason he reminds me a little of Rod Owen, without some of the undisciplined acts.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
jays
Club Player

simpken best of the kids

spert
Saintsational Legend

Overall, the midfiled as a unit was poor. Lenny did his usual fearless effort, though not his best night and bombed the ball by foot too much compared to Hawks midfielders who put the ball on the chest of their team mates most of the time. NDS and Milne were dropped by Lyon for poor defensive workrate a few years back, and responded positively, but this season I think they are back to their old habits. Unless NDS goes a lot harder when tagged, he will be taken out of games too easily again by top teams. The backline lacked a tall especially in the second half, and our half forward flankers just didn't work hard enough. Simpkin impressed, Siposs didn't even look close and Saad needs to be given a couple more games at least. Milera needs to get a bit stronger in the body as he got brushed aside a bit too easy.

georgie girl
Club Player

Simpkin just gets better each week! What a gutsy shepherd on buddy. All our young players need an opportunity to string a few games together if they are to step up to the next level. I was disappointed with our loss and the fact that we faded in the last quarter but I am enjoying seeing these young guys having a go!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin is amazing the way he closes in so quick but still looks like he does some rookie mistakes at times, once he left his man and ran to intercept another Hawk with no one to cover behind him so gave them the easy draw the man and link up for a goal set up. He does a few of those inexperienced things but once he gets burnt a couple of times and learns he will be a ripper.

Saad plays like a rolls royce but it's a bit like one that is kept in the garage most of the time. He looks exciting but isn't getting it enough.

Siposs is one I want to come on and was disappointed by his output. He looked overwhelmed and ran second to every contest nearly, he looked better as a permanent forward last year, the running game makes him look a little lost.

Milne has been in the bottom 2 players in the team in the last couple of games IMO. He isn't defensive so really needs to find some form or he might be at the cross roads.

Joey has just lost the love of the game to me. He looks like he is just collecting a pay cheque.

Saad didn't seem to be on the ground much, I'm not sure he was on for a full half.

My best players were

Simpkin, Blake, Fisher for his game up until that point, Kosi, Polo, Gilbert and Lenny. Geary has been used as a tagger since Gram coming back and is not suited to speedy smalls like Rioli who could get off him with ease.