Sam Crocker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mooksy
Club Player

Sam Crocker

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with him?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Re: Sam Crocker

Shingles?

I'm not sure what you mean?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Mooksy
Club Player

Well....where is he. Injured? Other? Expected time commencing his career?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

He is playing for Sandy!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

He just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Can't even crack a spot in Sandy seniors. When he does he gets nowhere near ball. Kicking is superb but that's all he has. Is still looking very raw. Would be very surpirsed to see him kept on list come years end. Might be worth putting him on rookie list or something but yea don't think he'll ever make it..... IMO of course.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Looks to be a slow developer, it'll be interesting to see if the club is patient for another season with him cos we've got Curren as a rookie who has had about 3 BOG gamed for Sandy Snrs this season and regulary in their best. Compare that with Crocker who cannot even get a gig with the Snrs. I will be surprised if Curren isn't upgraded to the Snr list and Crocker isn't rookied or cut at the end of the year.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Great kick and I hope he makes it.

Slight body at the moment.. But don't think he is soft. Goes in from what I've seen.

With players like Gwilt Clarke Ray Peake all playing seconds, obviously makes it tougher for spots although there is no restriction. Also players like Cockie Cook and all the mature rookies makes him basically competing against a lot of older blokes. No excuses but reality is he has only had a year and a bit.

Coming back from a shoulder, and should be given more time. I think he will be a gem if we persist.

class of 2010
Club Player

Given that Pelchin is in charge of our list these days and places such a high importance on foot-skills (as well as liking lefties) I would certainly not be surprised to see Sam given another year or 2 on the list without setting the world on fire a la Nicholas Winmar. Both of these players have struggled to make an impact at senior level as yet due to their slight bodies and will take longer to develop. Strength is not necessarily about becoming huge and being physically imposing but experience playing against men can lead to players finding ways around not being the biggest bloke on the park. Milera is 24 and still looks very slight, but has been able to compete and thrive at AFL level because he is used to playing men and has found ways around being found out for size. Some players take longer to develop than others, and I think that if Pelchin is willing to give Crocker and Winmar time both will be able to have good careers at the saints and establish themselves as regulars.

oh when the saints
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

FFS he's basically a 1st year player after last season's injury.

Are people asking the same about Daniel Markworth? They've had about the same amount of experience & DM is older...surely he should be killing them at VFL seniors level too!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Warrick Andreoli looked like a development list player and he is starting to show something now, be patient with younger players it takes a long time. Jack Steven had about 4 frustrating years before showing what he could bring.

Ross who?
Club Player

A fair way off it ATM unfortunately. I have seen a few Sandy games this year and actually forgot he was on the ground for long periods until I searched and found him. Not a good sign.
I do hope he makes it, as his left boot is an absolute weapon!

Blake Acres fan club VIP
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Daniel Markworth dominated the game I saw...4 goals I think

His first game, he is a 191cm power athlete.... I reckon he will be persevered with

Crocker 178cm, 72kg and gets brushed aside. His intensity need to lift, his fitness levels are below where they should be...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Warrick Andreoli looked like a development list player and he is starting to show something now, be patient with younger players it takes a long time. Jack Steven had about 4 frustrating years before showing what he could bring.

ww have also only had dextra coaches this year for the first time. As a result, skills should be improving quicker then in previous years

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Daniel Markworth dominated the game I saw...4 goals I think

His first game, he is a 191cm power athlete.... I reckon he will be persevered with
Well seeing as he's only been at the club for about 6 months that's hardly a big call :shock:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
gringo wrote:Warrick Andreoli looked like a development list player and he is starting to show something now, be patient with younger players it takes a long time. Jack Steven had about 4 frustrating years before showing what he could bring.

ww have also only had dextra coaches this year for the first time. As a result, skills should be improving quicker then in previous years
That's providing all this development coaching clubs are doing actually works.

It might still end up the great players are the great players and the flawed players are still flawed.

I watch with interest....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Point is, they will persevere with Markworth longer because he has some special physical attributes IMO.

And from what I've seen, not much adimittedly..... He looks like a great mover.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if u are under 180cm you need some serious tricks to make it at afl level.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

not everyone you draft is going to make it to the top. Its a tough business

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

He simply hasn't worked hard enough in the gym. He still has the body of an 18 y/o boy & plays like it. Its a shame but I think his time run out ! He may get delisted as a rookie but he would have to start showing something you would think!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

class of 2010 wrote:Given that Pelchin is in charge of our list these days and places such a high importance on foot-skills (as well as liking lefties) I would certainly not be surprised to see Sam given another year or 2 on the list without setting the world on fire a la Nicholas Winmar. Both of these players have struggled to make an impact at senior level as yet due to their slight bodies and will take longer to develop. Strength is not necessarily about becoming huge and being physically imposing but experience playing against men can lead to players finding ways around not being the biggest bloke on the park. Milera is 24 and still looks very slight, but has been able to compete and thrive at AFL level because he is used to playing men and has found ways around being found out for size. Some players take longer to develop than others, and I think that if Pelchin is willing to give Crocker and Winmar time both will be able to have good careers at the saints and establish themselves as regulars.
This is an excellent post and highlights the ADHD attitude of many supporters who think ALL players develop at EXACTLY the same pace.

Yes I take on board the commnets from BigMart about fitness levels, which is a concern. If this is true he is not giving himself the best chance especially if his development is slower.

The Milera example is a very good one, he developed late, but from what i read it was more the attitude to training and hard work that has paid off. Crocker should look at this example and work his arse off.

And Con's point is well made at 172cms you need a huge weapon. Crockers is his booming kick, however a bit hard to kick it if you dont get near it.

Maybe a development year in the 2nds followed by a massive preseason (and possibly a kick up the arse and be relegated to a rookie) and see if there is a marked improvement.

As someone mentioned not all draft selections will make it. Gratifying to see Armo, Mac,Sipposs,Stanley,and Newness coming through from the draft, and mature aged recruits like Milera and Saad coming on. We have players like Ledger, Markworth, Cripps, Ross and others coming on in the reserves, along with players like Fisher, Sneider, Gwilt, and Clarke waiting in the wings. have also heard we have a bunch of pretty exciting rookies as well

Sounds as if Crocker better lift his game.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wow, harsh thread, especially about someone this board sponsors....I agree with Animal Enclosure.

He is a slight guy, may take a bit longer.

Either way, hard to know the ins and outs of the situation.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The boy can seriously kick. We must give him every chance IMO.

Club Player

It's Crockers second year. People need to chill out slightly. He missed a lot of last year with injuries.

Markworth shows a lot more upside IMO, but like people have already said - players develop at different speeds. Not everyone develops like Chris Judd/Joel Selwood.