Saints v Richmond - Friday Night Footy - preview

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Richmond - Friday Night Footy - preview

It's been awhile, Round 2, at the MCG 2011 was the last time they met and it resulted in a draw

St Kilda Saints 4.6 7.10 9.12 13.17 95
Richmond Tigers 2.4 9.5 10.9 14.11 95

Brownlow Votes: 3: D Armitage, 2: S Milne, 1: S Grigg

This game was one of those nights were the Saints wasted opportunities in front of goal, with plenty more scoring shots and a lot of the play, but it proved to be one of the 'almost' games we remember so well from early 2011.

Been heaps of changes for both sides since then.

Saints
Out Fisher, McEvoy, Peake, Gamble, Dawson, Archer, Baker, Clarke

Guys most likely available this week include Fisher, Schneider, Clarke

Injury concerns for the Saints
Geary - concussion

Tigers are in super form, with their young emerging midfield in super form, and their backline surprisingly handling everything that comes their way. Jack hit some form tonight as well, and may just prove to be a handful this week for the Saints defence. Have to stop Cotchin, sure other guys like Foley and Martin get their hands on it, but Cotchin is such a good user and even today v Hawks had 3 goal assists. The ruck will be interesting, as the mullet is in AA form.

Matchups will need to be spot on, and by no means do I think I have the answers.

Jones v Cotchen
Farren v Deledio
Simpkin v Riewoldt
Dempster v Nahas

?

I don't know what to expect to be honest, as even under Ross, games v the Tiges were very open, fast and attacking. Not sure what Watters will have planned.

jays
Club Player

Re: Saints v Richmond - Friday Night Footy - preview

Tough game

mohannair
Club Player

Thats the game LENNY did his ACL.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Jack Riewoldts 100th game this week.

mcadam05
Club Player

Has there ever been a Bigger StKilda vs Richmond game???? I can't think of one

felix
Club Player

If Sainter K is not confident this week we could be in trouble !

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

mcadam05 wrote:Has there ever been a Bigger StKilda vs Richmond game???? I can't think of one
1971 Preliminary Final at (I believe) Waverley. I'm predicitng the same result. :twisted:

(McA, your archives may have some footage?)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
oh when the
Club Player

at the g we controlled the game all day

mcadam05
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:Has there ever been a Bigger StKilda vs Richmond game???? I can't think of one
1971 Preliminary Final at (I believe) Waverley. I'm predicitng the same result. :twisted:

(McA, your archives may have some footage?)

would you believe i brought the whole game on video for 5 bucks a couple of months ago and I forgot all about it lol :mrgreen:

maybe the rd 4 1968 game when Richmond came to Moorabbin as the reigning premiers and Big Carl took them apart

But this friday is going to be so good

citywest

If St Kilda wins this game we will make the top 8. That's how big this game is. And if Richmond lose, they will not make the top 8. This is our most critical game of the year.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anzac Day in the 90's at Waverley with 75K

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Maklom
Club Player

Was there that waverely day, now that was a good game! Such a big crowd and so loud!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

massive game for us this week.
Home GAME/sell out will fill our coffers with $$
if we win this week and against the GC - then lose to crows. we go in to bye and then get our ruckmen back after bye.
if we get no fresh injuries we could be flying in the last half of the year!

oh when the
Club Player

queens birthday at waverley we were 8goals behind at half time
sheedy mouhed off to muir, umpire heard it gave us a free, we goaled then our avalanch started, we got up to beat them.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Maklom wrote:Was there that waverely day, now that was a good game! Such a big crowd and so loud!
Was there to, Richo killed us early and we were well behind at quater time but came back, an yes the crowd was huge and loud.

I love this club
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:If Sainter K is not confident this week we could be in trouble !
Hi Felix

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident we can win.

I'm just not confident to predict how we'll go about it if that makes sense?

Ross played flair and dare footy v Richmond for whatever reason, they were some of our more exciting spectacles to watch the past two seasons. Will Watters do the same, or will he put more thought into matchups and try to shut some playmakers down?

I really think Deledio and Cotchin are the guys that need the most attention, the rest of the guys can cough it up under pressure, which we now know the Saints are very willing to put them under.

mcadam05
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

you mean this ;)

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

mcadam05 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

you mean this ;)

Well one thing hasnt changed, their ruckman still has a mullet :lol:

saintkellerm
Club Player

Good ol Waverley it was great when it was a nice day.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

RICHMOND

INJURIES
Jake Batchelor (ankle) test
Luke McGuane (knee) test
Dylan Grimes (hamstring) 3 weeks
Kelvin Moore (hip) indefinite
Brad Helbig (foot) indefinite

ON THE BLOCK: Block? More like dais if you listen to the roars of the Tiger army. You’d think after the best win in Damien Hardwick’s reign changes would be minimal. Vickery was only OK in his return but should stay but Addam Maric could make way after only coming in late and starting as the sub.

ON THE CUSP: Jake Batchelor only missed because he wrong-footed himself in a tram track to dodge a moving car, Richmond footy manager Craig Cameron said on Saturday. You’d think he comes straight back while Jayden Post, who seems to play anywhere and everywhere at Coburg, and speedster Matt White remain in the mix.

SAM LANDSBERGER’S FORECAST: It’s hard not to get excited at the sight of Richmond up and about. While Hawthorn had a stinker on Saturday, the Tigers would’ve beaten most with their tenacious attack on the ball and dynamic forward set up. Finally, after competitive matches against Geelong, West Coast and Collingwood, the dam wall burst in the final quarter on Saturday and it was party time at the MCG. Suddenly St Kilda in the Friday night lights is a 50-50 affair before Fremantle (home) and GWS. The Tiges are coming.

ST KILDA

INJURIES:
Sam Fisher (hamstring) test
Ben McEvoy (knee) 4 weeks
Rhys Stanley (hamstring) 4 weeks
Jimmy Webster (shin) 4 weeks

ON THE BLOCK: Jarryn Geary was concussed on Saturday and substituted out at halftime so must be in some doubt to hold his place. Other than that the Saints look settled. Kosi didn’t have his best day while Siposs is no certainty in the 22 but after such a dominant win – where the scoreboard failed to reflect the ease in which St Kilda won – expect little change.

ON THE CUSP: Sam Fisher a 50-50 chance to return but James Gwilt is finally back and the Saints still have a spread of talent on the periphery. Raph Clarke, Adam Schneider and Beau Wilkes are available if needed but it’s hard to see many changes ahead of Friday night. Bring it on.

SAM LANDSBERGER’S FORECAST: They did it for Lenny on Saturday, now they need to do it for their finals credibility. With the Tigers likely to be scrapping late in the year for a top-eight spot, a win would put a two-game plus percentage break on them. Priceless. And finally St Kilda is enjoyable to watch again. With Milera, Saad and Milne hunting at the feet of Riewoldt and Kosi every entry must be feared by the opposition. The worry is three consecutive six-day breaks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/superco ... 6369833171

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6370444854

THE St Kilda-Richmond Friday night blockbuster at Etihad Stadium is destined to be a sellout, with the AFL urging fans to snap up tickets in coming days.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan last night said: "I think it will be a sellout, but it will only be late in the piece."

As it is a Saints home game, priority will be given to the club's reserved-seat holders, meaning Tigers fans are more likely to be squeezed out in one of the most anticipated matches of the year.

The game might have attracted 60,000-plus at the MCG given Richmond's resurgence. However, McLachlan said the interest in the game was impossible to read when the fixture was formulated.

"Now we've got a cracker," McLachlan said.

"Obviously, you don't want anybody missing out, but it's also great to have a game here at Etihad with an extraordinary atmosphere."

The best-case scenario is likely to be a sellout of about 50,000.

McLachlan said the game was far from a Tigers lock-out. He said: "The reality is, people can buy a ticket now, tomorrow and on Wednesday," McLachlan said.

Many challenges still await, though, continuing under the bright Friday-night lights when they face a resurgent St Kilda at Etihad Stadium. The Tigers have not beaten the Saints in 14 meetings since April 2003. They drew in their last meeting, in round two last season, but it is ugly reading from there for the Tigers' faithful.

''We haven't beaten the Saints since 2003, so nine years is quite a long time,'' Houli said. ''They are pretty tough opposition, especially at Etihad Stadium. We are looking forward to a massive challenge again.''

The Tigers must also overcome a scratchy record at the Docklands venue. They have lost five of their past six matches at Etihad Stadium, and their past 10 against the Saints at the stadium.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z1wAp1erwm

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... 6370397163

RICHMOND hasn't beaten St Kilda in nine years but a morale-boosting win over Hawthorn has Damien Hardwick's Tigers primed for a crack at the top eight.

It was the first time under Hardwick's watch that the Tigers had beaten the Hawks and now they are mounting a realistic challenge for finals action.

Richmond has not beaten St Kilda in 14 games, its most recent victory coming at the Docklands Stadium (now Etihad) in round four, 2003, by 26 points.

The Tigers, who last made the finals in 2001, got close last year when the two clubs fought out a 95-point apiece draw at the MCG.

The only current Richmond player to have beaten the Saints while wearing the yellow and black is captain Chris Newman.

The win over the Hawks was also the first time under Hardwick in 53 games that the Tigers outscored their opposition in all four quarters.

With four wins and five losses this season, Richmond is two points in arrears to where it was at the corresponding time last year, but with a far superior percentage - 110.6 to 91.24 - indicating the club's competitive improvement from 12 months ago.

Richmond general manager of football operations, Craig Cameron, said yesterday his club faced a new challenge "almost" on a weekly basis.

"With the competition so even and competitive, we can't allow our form to wane because every week produces another challenge," Cameron said.

"We've been happy with some of the areas we've improved in, but four wins is still below where we want to be.

"Everyone here realises the work still in front of us, and that includes Friday night where it will be almost a new generation of players since we've beaten them."

Last week's late withdrawal, Jake Batchelor, appears certain to be recalled after he damaged an ankle in a freak accident last Thursday night.

The defender turned his ankle when he got his foot caught on a tram track.

"He probably would have played had we played on Sunday," Cameron said.

However, key defender Dylan Grimes appears likely to miss another three weeks due to a round-eight hamstring strain.

Richmond hosts Fremantle in round 11 at the MCG, then plays the Giants at Skoda Stadium before its mid-season bye.

The Tigers' encouraging start to the season has been reflected in record membership figures which continue to swell.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gee this is going to be a tough game
the tiges are on fire and their foot skills looked great in the wet v the hawks last week
the big mullet is playing really well for them and could cause some headaches for us

i cant wait for the game
still unsure whether to tip us
think we have a decent chance if we can stop their run
but that, is going to be hard imo

looking forward to the game friday night

mcadam05
Club Player

Just for a warm up i posted the rd 4 '68 game. Big Carl is AWESOME !!

PaytonPlace
Club Player

First game I can get to this year, so super pumped up...I might get thrown out, such is my excitement. First look at the mosquito fleet up close and personal!

Seriously fancy our chances though, especially at the Dome. 6-4 start possible, playing exciting footy, kicking goals, prime time TV, coach who people like, a week of Lenny love, Ross Lyon getting kicked from pillar to post...

I'm loving 2012 so far...only things that can spoil my mood are Jake King (I refuse to give him a nickname!) and the inevitable Jetstar delay....

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...