Dear Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dear Ross Lyon

What? Winning all bar 3 games for the season and yet not being in the top 4 for 'Points For'?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
rexy wrote:I think Ross is a good coach,remember we missed the 8 in his first year and made up the numbers in his second. freo will get there.
Where will they get to?

There's not a hope in Haitis that they can win the flag playing the way they are now - or the way we played in 09 and 10. There's very little to suggest that Lyon has any intention to have them playing differently to the way we played in 09.

It's flawed. It was flawed then, and it's completely done and dusted now.
It will get them to a point where they are competitive with any team on any week, it will get them to a point where every player on their list is on the same page and knows what their and their team mates job is, it will get them high enough in the top 8 to have a crack at the flag. Its not pretty and it may not succeed but it will give them a chance! Thats my opinion anyway.
Very good analysis

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts, are that they'll grind out wins against average teams. Teams that 'crack' they'll beat - which is what we were able to do in 09. No one knew how to play us, so they played into our hands and we wore them down.
But teams that don't crack and keep persisting will roll them - because like us in 09 and 10, they aren't capable of 'knocking out' an opponent. Now that teams know how to beat it, they'll be less likely to crack.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:What? Winning all bar 3 games for the season and yet not being in the top 4 for 'Points For'?

No having by far and a way the biggest diffirentail in for against suggests we blew more teams out of the park than any other team. I suppose there goes another myth. Also averaging 100 points a game suggest we scored pretty heavily. There goes another myth.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:What? Winning all bar 3 games for the season and yet not being in the top 4 for 'Points For'?

No having by far and a way the biggest diffirentail in for against suggests we blew more teams out of the park than any other team. I suppose there goes another myth. Also averaging 100 points a game suggest we scored pretty heavily. There goes another myth.
We didn't average 100 points per game. You might want to get your facts straight you silly little fat old drunk.

Which is extraordinary considering we won 22 games. It's rare to win without kicking 100 points, and we went through a season where we won 22 games and finished 2 games clear yet we didn't average 100 points.

With a forward line including 2 All Australians and Kosi (whom all had amazing seasons), that is just staggering.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We didn't average 100 points per game. You might want to get your facts straight you silly little fat old drunk.

Which is extraordinary considering we won 22 games. It's rare to win without kicking 100 points, and we went through a season where we won 22 games and finished 2 games clear yet we didn't average 100 points.

With a forward line including 2 All Australians and Kosi (whom all had amazing seasons), that is just staggering.

Excellent response but I suppose when you are proven wrong then it is easy to get upset. You said we didnt blow teams away. Well we did or we wouldnt have a big gap between for and against. In your latest post you said we didnt average 100 points a game and then came out with what can only be described as moronic statement. You are right in 22 home and away games we score 2197 points for. That is an average of 99.9. How could I be so dumb as to round it up to 100. Stupid me as opposed to very smart you who basically made 2 incorrect statements.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

We didn't average 100 points per game. Based on your post above, you knew that when you posted that we did. So you're a liar. A little, fat, drunken liar.

We won 22 games for the season, and our losses were of a total of about 18 points. We completely dominated the season yet average just over 96 points per game. That is extraordinary.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:We didn't average 100 points per game. Based on your post above, you knew that when you posted that we did. So you're a liar. A little, fat, drunken liar.

We won 22 games for the season, and our losses were of a total of about 18 points. We completely dominated the season yet average just over 96 points per game. That is extraordinary.
Extraordinarily good

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:We didn't average 100 points per game. Based on your post above, you knew that when you posted that we did. So you're a liar. A little, fat, drunken liar.

96 wow I was miles out. I wish we were like the WB. They got the most goals for the year and won one final out of 3. Anyway how is your initial comment going that we didnt blow sides out of the water. Not sure that is possible with the big differential in for and against. And how am I liar when we averaged 100 points a game for the home and away season. A little fat drunken liar. Now that is funny. Funny as in stupid moronic brain dead but at least you have got people laughing even if it is at you. I have no idea what you look like but I will go with a head like pumpkin and a brain like a pea with plenty of other matter to make up the difference. What that other matter is doesnt matter.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

Extraordinarily good
It's not at all. It cost us a flag - possibly more than one.

Only 3 times in the last 15 years has the premier averaged less than 100 points for the year. One was Sydney, and the other was Adelaide in 98 and 97. But Adelaide averaged well over 100 points in the finals.

To sominate the comp, and win as many games as we did, yet average under 100 points clearly shows a lack of potency. There is no doubt whatsoever that our defence was incredible. But if you were told in the pre-season that you'd only average 96 points per game, you can pretty much book your holidays for late September because only in freak occurances does a team win the flag when averaging under 100 points.

Especially now that all teams focus on defence, it's even more important to be able to kick a score. Lyon doesn't coach team that can kick scores.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Pretty ordinary forward line at Freo...i wonder if Ross comes knocking at years end looking for a forward...
he will be shopping but not at the saints. who would he be knocking for? rooey and kosi? milney is 32. and the other guys are all new - milera/saad/wilkes/sipo so have no relationship at all with him.

i guess he could try for schneids??? he brought him from sydney. are they close? that is the only possibility. anyone know schenids contractual situation?
He can have Clarke. Doubt he will get a game this year without Ro$$ ignoring his many, many faults as a AFL player.

That being said I am over the moon St Kilda is now playing a fast, aggressive and skillful game with youth and vigour eidant throughout the entire side.

I backed Lyin when he was here but the way he left and what he did was deplorable. The act of a cowardly selfish prick.

Good riddence.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
96 wow I was miles out.
You're a liar. You knew the real data and chose to post false data to win an argument. Pretty sad really. Funny, but sad.
plugger66 wrote:I wish we were like the WB. They got the most goals for the year and won one final out of 3.
Why do you wish we were like the Bulldogs? You need to be top 4 for points for and for least points against. They were nowhere near in the top 4 for least points against.

Anyway how is your initial comment going that we didnt blow sides out of the water. Not sure that is possible with the big differential in for and against. [/quote]

When you win every home and away game bar 2, and those come at a total margin of about 8 points, it means that you will finish each week in the positive. Multiply that positive by 20 and you get a high differential.

The interesting stat would be 'average winning margin' if you can find it.

And don't just make it up please. Try to use actual figures and not just ones that suit you, you pathetic little blimp.

rexy
SS Life Member

This reminds me so much of the GT bashing threads of 07 its not funny, Ross lyon as a coach did his best to coach the team to a premiership, he failed and moved on. was he perfect as a coach, NO, nobody is but he did a great job doing his part to get us that opportunity. He certainly didnt cost us anything, he helped provided us with an opportunity we did not make the most of. You can only lose something if it was yours in the first place!

Maybe this year?
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I firmly believe, and did at the time, that his inability to coach a team offensively and his obsession with defence to the detriment of offence - cost us the 09 flag.

I have no doubt about that.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Like it or lump it RL in the GF in both 09 and 10 was poor

And like i said which has been glossed over... Ray play ONE good half of football... as in 50%... that is not a good game

And I never at any point said RL was a crap coach or that he didn't do well in 2009-10... again licence to illustrate on your respective parts

He was a good coach with a clear weakness that cost us dearly in Sept 2009-10

Alan Didak 17d, 5t and 1 goal - yeah totally shut out of the game

McQualter 10 possessions, 10t (his super saving grace supposedly) no goals,

Ray 13 possessions (11 of them handballs) but a "Super second half". That completely justified his nothingness in the 1st half. Wonder how possessions of his 21... Swan actually got in the 2nd half

Gram = 11 possessions, no goals, 6 tackles

Jones = 19 possessions including 10 handballs... not much effect

Eddy (not previously mentioned) = 10 possessions and 3 tackles

Let me us you plainly... Farren Ray, how do you rate his OVERALL game?
Let me get this straight because I had to re read your post. You're saying that Ross Lyon coached poorly in the drawn grand final? Is that what you are saying? That is so funny. Keep going because I really need a laugh today.... :lol: You are really covering yourself in glory.

You're looking for the perfect game of football played, the perfect game of football coached and the perfect season. It does not exist. However, the perfect posts do and you should refer to what was written previously by some others and you might get a clue.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
rexy
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:I firmly believe, and did at the time, that his inability to coach a team offensively and his obsession with defence to the detriment of offence - cost us the 09 flag.

Did his obsession and ability to coach a team defensively give us that opportunity in the first place?

I thought a toe poke from Scarlett in the middle of the ground won Geelong that flag. Before that it was anyones to be lost!

Maybe this year?
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Grand finals aren't there to be lost - they're there to be won.

We weren't capable of winning it. We couldn't find a goal, whereas Geelong could.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Mon 28 May 2012 4:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

In addition to that, dare I say without Roo's individual heroics we wouldn't have made it to the GF.

He single handedly dragged us over the line against Collingwood and the Bulldogs. 'Kick it to Roo' was Lyon's only offensive strategy.

rexy
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:Grand finals aren't there to be lost - they're there to be won.

I thought Ross Lyon cost us two of them?

Obviously couldnt have after that statement from you!

Check mate

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
96 wow I was miles out.
You're a liar. You knew the real data and chose to post false data to win an argument. Pretty sad really. Funny, but sad.
plugger66 wrote:I wish we were like the WB. They got the most goals for the year and won one final out of 3.
Why do you wish we were like the Bulldogs? You need to be top 4 for points for and for least points against. They were nowhere near in the top 4 for least points against.

Anyway how is your initial comment going that we didnt blow sides out of the water. Not sure that is possible with the big differential in for and against.
When you win every home and away game bar 2, and those come at a total margin of about 8 points, it means that you will finish each week in the positive. Multiply that positive by 20 and you get a high differential.

The interesting stat would be 'average winning margin' if you can find it.

And don't just make it up please. Try to use actual figures and not just ones that suit you, you pathetic little blimp.[/quote]

You are patheitic. We averaged 100 in the home and away and 96 all up. I was a massive 4 points out. Wow. Also you didnt do maths at school did you otherwise you could work out the aveage winning margin in all of a minute. If we won 22 out of 25 games including finals to make you happy the average winning margin is around 38 points. That is over 6 goals a game. That is pretty much a very good win. It isnt grinding sides into the ground. Now go away pumpkin head.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I firmly believe, and did at the time, that his inability to coach a team offensively and his obsession with defence to the detriment of offence - cost us the 09 flag.

Well then your brain doesnt function properly.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Ross....................

for Scott Watters.

BTW things must have been desperate for the Dockers if Zac kicked a goal.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The thing I don't like is Ross distancing himself from the losses these days...

They were his players, implementing his game plan, following his instructions.

It was us, now it's they.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

And I have no doubt you are wrong. How can you possibly be in 'no doubt' when we lost the GF by 2 goals (one after the siren when no-one was manning the mark) and basically won the game in all the key indicators. We kicked ourselves out of it. We had no-one to blame but ourselves. Did Ross ask Scheids to miss from the goal square, Milne to miss running into goal, for Mini to miss running into goal, for Dempster to miss a snap in the last 1/4?

I have no doubt that without RL's game plan we would probably have made the first week of the finals and gone no further. That was how we were tracking under GT I reckon.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I am not sure that Freo is the best location for Ross.
His style of football is very tiring and I am not sure it will be easy to implement week in week out on the large open WACA ground.
It is very hard to stifle the opposition when there is so much room to play with.