Bugger the Negatroids, We're getting better

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bugger the Negatroids, We're getting better

"There's a limb, out I go".

We won't lose another H & A game this year. I absolutely believe we're a good side, we just need to take our chances. I think we will. We're playing footy like a group that's enjoying what we're doing. I honestly think we're in a good place and the worm will turn.

Yep, we make errors, but our performances show we are never out of games (because we can score quickly) and we genuinely worry sides.

I'm firmly on board.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
jays
Club Player

Re: Bugger the Negatroids, We're getting better

i am with you cant see losing again maybe the pies but that is it

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I would never go so far as to say we won't lose another game this season (remember 2009?) However, I'm with the OP on this one, as far as our potential to shake up the comp in what is a very open season. I thought Adelaide scored quite a few goals off our turnovers, and THAT needs to be sorted out, but the main thing that hurt us was the accuracy (or rather lack of same) from our forwards. I found it to be (apart from a bum result) another cracker of a game and we took the Crows all the way on their own midden!
GO SAINTS!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We are a proper side now, not an embarrassment to the AFL due to negative Shyte footy.

That's the exciting bit for me. Anything else is a bonus.

Plus we've kept up our WLWL run. Approaching record proportions!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We are dangerous very dangerous but we need to sort out our defence - twice now we have scored +110 and lost - worrying but it can be fixed - the break will do us good

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Getting better than when..... 2007. That was the last time we were square with the ledger.....

Since getting nearly to the top of the mountain in 09 our trend has been south

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.agreed mart.
..... south.
... i have no probs with us copping a fallow year AS the worm turns.
... footy is fun again , but lets be a tad patient 'n a tad smart 'n ride Lady Luck AS she comes a calling.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SMS
Club Player

I agree too im stoked with the way we play when we are on no one can beat us!!

Theres something there that if we click on we may go all the way! I get the feeling the players believe and things are comin together! Just make the 8 from there we can win it!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Of all the threads on here, this one has a nice tinge of reality and confidence that I like.

Can't speak for them, but I'm pretty sure the OP means better in the scope of more recent months, not years?

Older guys desperately need a break - tick
Some guys who were working hard but in poor form are improving - tick
Our core group of players will benefit of playing together for what was the first time this year - tick

In the absence of Saad (well done to the young man for becoming so intergral already) we lacked pressure inside 50 - cross
You could tell Ben had missed alot of footy and personally I'd rather he returned via the VFL - cross
Turnovers that gift goals - cross

Our positives are encouraging, our negatives can easily be rectified.

I like how the last portion of the season is shaping up.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

admire your support of the team K but to say this thread has a nice tinge of reality......

some real rose coloured glasses going on in this thread

we are 6-6 and very much a possibility of missing finals...............

that is the reality

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Honest question.

Where did you have the Saints finishing this year?

Are they ahead of where you expected?

Are they displaying a progression that has taken you by surprise?

I think 6-6 is pretty fair all things considered, certainly when you look at the tone on here between Oct last year right up until May.

This time last year it was 3 wins, 1 loss and a draw.

I honestly don't think it's rose coloured to think a bit of consistency and continued improvement can't see us both make them, and give them a shake.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

We should have lost by over 6 goals. Always great to see a strong finish, even better to see us pinch the almost impossible win, but I don't see signs of us improving, just being a consistently competitive team.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Problem with that is our core is ageing.... We have more players getting worse than better.

Hard years ahead. Whilst the kids go alright mixed with senior players, they would be exposed without support

We have a hole in the list WRT to high ability at 24-27yo

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Honest question.

Where did you have the Saints finishing this year? 7-11
Are they ahead of where you expected? No

Are they displaying a progression that has taken you by surprise? Progression in scoring ability short term VERSUS playing group/defensive structures declining.
I think 6-6 is pretty fair all things considered, certainly when you look at the tone on here between Oct last year right up until May. What has the tone on here to do with the actual season in progress
This time last year it was 3 wins, 1 loss and a draw. last year not really relevent............. your figures need checking though :D
I honestly don't think it's rose coloured to think a bit of consistency and continued improvement can't see us both make them, and give them a shake.
I said thread..............a few talking crap about not losing another HA etc etc

we need to string wins

overall trending down but with ability to score (short term) improved............but as current players retire the trend down will increase also effecting ability to score long term.....

saint4life
Buckets
SS Life Member

Why is it that having young players come through is such a young thing.

One minute we are a bad team because we are too old and the next if we are too young we will be crap!

Can we make our minds up?

If anything if 2 of Blake, Milne or Lenny decide to hang the boots up at the end of the year our age will drop a fair amount. How many other players do we have over 30?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Look, if you take a team like West Coast or Sydney, they have kept an ageing senior core and embellished around them and went back up hard. Adelaide did it too. The thing about older guys is they protect the group below them and demand performance. We have found some genuine players this year who would be in our best 22, Saad, Milera, Geary, Simpkin, Armo and Steven were all new or still on the fringes last year. We have blooded Siposs who is now starting to reward us with something that is looking close to a walk up start in the 22. We also have put games into Cripps and Newnes who will be better with exposure.

We have several players who are recently back from injury who have the potential to return to a grade status in Fisher, Gwilt, Big Mac, Schnieder and Raph.

All in all we still have some decent players in the main group as well in Goddard, dal Santo, montagna, Hayes, Rooey, Kosi, Blake etc.

Heaps to like about where we are going.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I think our chances of reching a top eight finish are as good as Carlton's, Richmond's or Fremantle's for 3! The brand of footy we're playing is fresh and exciting, and if we don't finish in the eight (BUT give our ALL in trying) then this season will be a good one for THIS sainter!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

We are going to storm home and charge into the finals.

Etch it down in your stone tablets.

We are playing a style of football that is incredibly fun to PLAY!!! Look at that running and attacking, bloody great stuff.

Great mix of players at the moment, i really like it.

Big things are imminent. It's all going to come together at the right moment.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Problem with that is our core is ageing.... We have more players getting worse than better.

Hard years ahead. Whilst the kids go alright mixed with senior players, they would be exposed without support

We have a hole in the list WRT to high ability at 24-27yo
I agree to an extent BM. I was a pessimist after the Lyon debacle and particularly during the preseason. However, I think what we are seeing is that maybe, the window is open until 2013.

Also, if anyone is ever going to win the flag from outside the top 4, it'll be this year.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:"There's a limb, out I go".

We won't lose another H & A game this year. I absolutely believe we're a good side, we just need to take our chances. I think we will. We're playing footy like a group that's enjoying what we're doing. I honestly think we're in a good place and the worm will turn.

Yep, we make errors, but our performances show we are never out of games (because we can score quickly) and we genuinely worry sides.

I'm firmly on board.
Big call

Good sauce...care to share it... :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
sainter104
Club Player

we WILL WIN 2012 premiership GET ON NOW

SainTas9

I think we're showing glimpses of what we will become under Watt-a-man. Much like 2008 when everything goes right we look exciting, however, it only lasts a short time. I think this is due to the players getting used to the Watt-a-man game plan. I'm quietly (or not so quietly) optimistic that we will be the first club in history to have an undefeated season in 2013. Take that naysayers!

Regardless, imo our new coach and his injection of youth has made some of the older guys hungry again. Something we dearly needed as alot of the guys from the 2009/2010 campaigns were starting to look broken to me.

PS I made the call at the end of the 2008 season that we would go undefeated in 2009 and backed it up with a $100 bet with a mate at work (yet to be paid). Imagine my surprise as we nearly pulled it off. Hopefully the Sainters can achieve this goal in 2013and I will be square with my workmate. Not too much to ask, is it?

A flag'd be nice.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainTas9 wrote:I think we're showing glimpses of what we will become under Watt-a-man. Much like 2008 when everything goes right we look exciting, however, it only lasts a short time. I think this is due to the players getting used to the Watt-a-man game plan. I'm quietly (or not so quietly) optimistic that we will be the first club in history to have an undefeated season in 2013. Take that naysayers!

Regardless, imo our new coach and his injection of youth has made some of the older guys hungry again. Something we dearly needed as alot of the guys from the 2009/2010 campaigns were starting to look broken to me.

PS I made the call at the end of the 2008 season that we would go undefeated in 2009 and backed it up with a $100 bet with a mate at work (yet to be paid). Imagine my surprise as we nearly pulled it off. Hopefully the Sainters can achieve this goal in 2013and I will be square with my workmate. Not too much to ask, is it?

Why should you be paid? You owe him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainTas9 wrote:I think we're showing glimpses of what we will become under Watt-a-man. Much like 2008 when everything goes right we look exciting, however, it only lasts a short time. I think this is due to the players getting used to the Watt-a-man game plan. I'm quietly (or not so quietly) optimistic that we will be the first club in history to have an undefeated season in 2013. Take that naysayers!

Because Tash has clearly done a dodgy deal to avoid paying the money now.

Tash - are you a Blues supporter by any chance?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SainTas9

plugger66 wrote:

Read it again, I said 'yet to be paid' not 'I'm yet to be paid'. I do owe him as you so intelligently determined. I was saying I had yet to pay him (simply because I'm slack), hence my suggestion that if we did do it in 2013 we would be square. As Sam says 'you know it makes sense'.

A flag'd be nice.