One thing yesterdays game proved.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

that it wont be the end of the world if BJ does leave at the end of the year......

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: One thing yesterdays game proved.....

IMHO. If BJ leaves; other players will have to step up and do a bit extra. Having someone like him, skilled with both feet, could actually make others a little complacent, like "give it to BJ, he will get spear a perfect pass" and when he's tagged, harrassed, and is a little off, can cost us.
Fantastic player, hate to lose him, but hopefully the team can cover him.
As an analogy, I worked in one place where one bloke did more than his fair share, so some others were a little slack "Tom will get it done".
When he left (downsizing), the sky didn't fall, we all did a bit more to cover him.
That's just my opinion. We all have an opinion. I am allowed to have one.
We don't live in Libya or Syria or North Korea :twisted:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Baz, have to say....not one of your better posts.

The Jeff
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Baz, have to say....not one of your better posts.
Why? I thought he was being positive in the event BJ leaves. Would you prefer he say that IF Goddard leaves we're screwed?

Not one of your better posts...

FQF
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

As senior players retire, the Club will need BJ to be there, taking on a senior mantle role. He is a very versatile player and can play various roles, which is a big plus out there on the ground.

The Jeff
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:As senior players retire, the Club will need BJ to be there, taking on a senior mantle role. He is a very versatile player and can play various roles, which is a big plus out there on the ground.
And for these reasons I hope he stays.

However, all the OP is saying is that IF he does go, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The only way we can answer that would be to see what we do with our compensation pick(s).

It's all very hypothetical. Having said that, I think he'll sign. 8-)

FQF
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Jeff wrote:
Why? I thought he was being positive in the event BJ leaves. Would you prefer he say that IF Goddard leaves we're screwed?

I don't think there has been anything on here positive about BJ lately.

Happy to disagree.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No player is irreplaceable.....

Lockett.... 97
Stewart.... 71
Hall........04/05-
Everittt.....04/05
Ball....... 2010

The world never falls in and one player does not create success

But is easier if you get some compensation

Dal is a great example

Billy Barrot, Barry Brooks, and ZERO are not so great

SMS
Club Player

exactly!! above post proves it.

we will be fine.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's not about him being replaceable or not...

He has said he's staying.

Enough already.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

mmmmmmmm

Draftpickalicious.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
The Jeff wrote:

I don't think there has been anything on here positive about BJ lately.

Happy to disagree.
Then he'd want to start giving us something to be positive about.....

He's been below standard for 18 months. He would be one of our top tier players in terms of money received. He still hasn't signed, which is a concern - I don't buy this BS that Cloke and now BJ are peddling re 'I really want to stay but we're just working a few things out.' You either want to stay or you are ambivalent. Some players want to stay, but only if the price is right..And by right I mean very close to their market value. Very few of the elite players can afford to take that attitude, cos it leaves the rest of the list short changed. I wouldn't have a clue what they all get, but why do I get the feeling that Lenny for instance has played below his market value for years?

I have more respect for the likes of Chapman, Selwood, Bartel, Scarlett and even Ablett who for years played well below his market value despite easily being the best player in the comp. All thise players I mentioned are apparently paid less than $500k (Selwood maybe more this year as he's captain)

I am no BJ hater. His skills can be sublime, and his overhead marking can be a joy to watch. He has been nothing short of brilliant in the big games we played b/w 08-2010. His recent suspension was nothing short of selfish though, and his tantrums on the field are becoming tiresome for a senior player. Like every club in the same position (the pies for instance) I say just sign already - and then come back from your suspension and remind all of us why you were drafted at #1. be the player we all know you can be BJ and stop worrying about your opponent.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I was trying to point out that we had our best win for the year without BJ in the team, and he were to leave at years end and we received adequate compensation, our window would not be shut, contrary to what some believe.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Then he'd want to start giving us something to be positive about.....

He's been below standard for 18 months. He would be one of our top tier players in terms of money received. He still hasn't signed, which is a concern - I don't buy this BS that Cloke and now BJ are peddling re 'I really want to stay but we're just working a few things out.' You either want to stay or you are ambivalent. Some players want to stay, but only if the price is right..And by right I mean very close to their market value. Very few of the elite players can afford to take that attitude, cos it leaves the rest of the list short changed. I wouldn't have a clue what they all get, but why do I get the feeling that Lenny for instance has played below his market value for years?

I have more respect for the likes of Chapman, Selwood, Bartel, Scarlett and even Ablett who for years played well below his market value despite easily being the best player in the comp. All thise players I mentioned are apparently paid less than $500k (Selwood maybe more this year as he's captain)

I am no BJ hater. His skills can be sublime, and his overhead marking can be a joy to watch. He has been nothing short of brilliant in the big games we played b/w 08-2010. His recent suspension was nothing short of selfish though, and his tantrums on the field are becoming tiresome for a senior player. Like every club in the same position (the pies for instance) I say just sign already - and then come back from your suspension and remind all of us why you were drafted at #1. be the player we all know you can be BJ and stop worrying about your opponent.
+1

We had a great win w/out Bj....and we got to the last day in September w/out Roo for most of 2010, but with both at their best and no passengers in the team we can be even better...and we will need to be

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I was trying to point out that we had our best win for the year without BJ in the team, and he were to leave at years end and we received adequate compensation, our window would not be shut, contrary to what some believe.
Sorry Barry, perhaps I was over sensitive in my reply.

BJ has given so much to this club, and at the minute when he can't quite get his body to catch up to his mind, everyone appears to have jumped off.

Perhaps we get an idea of those people who have never been able to stomach watching replays of the 2009 and 2010 grand finals, because if they could, they would watch BJ and wish everyone was so desperate to win this club a premiership.

He wants to stay, I want him to stay.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I was trying to point out that we had our best win for the year without BJ in the team, and he were to leave at years end and we received adequate compensation, our window would not be shut, contrary to what some believe.
Sorry Barry, perhaps I was over sensitive in my reply.

BJ has given so much to this club, and at the minute when he can't quite get his body to catch up to his mind, everyone appears to have jumped off.

Perhaps we get an idea of those people who have never been able to stomach watching replays of the 2009 and 2010 grand finals, because if they could, they would watch BJ and wish everyone was so desperate to win this club a premiership.

He wants to stay, I want him to stay.
Agree with you SainterK. BJ is still crucial to our team. Seems to be a little 'lost' this year in regards to his role, but looking forward to a marked improvement in his game when he returns. I think he is carrying some niggles this year and although a 2 week suspension is not ideal, the break will do him the world of good.

Fortius Quo Fidelius