Worst game of the year ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Worst game of the year ?

I think this was our worst performance of the year , perhaps others may disagree !
We got the four points , some of the younger players showed some positive's , but overall we looked a mile from being a top eight side !
We dominated the first ten minutes of the game , and then look insipid for the next 50 minutes ! Melbourne were so shite that in that time they could only get to within a goal !
In total we played about 30 minutes of good football !
Very frustrating and disappointing .

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Worst game of the year ?

Wasn't pretty.

Wasn't last time v the Demons either.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We bank the 4 points and move on. 8-)

Oh wait, that's our previous coaches catch phrase. :oops:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
I Am A Saint
Club Player

port game was clearly worse although memory is faint...

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

At half time I was thinking it worst game I'd ever been to. Kicking a few in the third quarter might have got it ahead of a couple of other shockers.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I reckon after Roo went down the boys dedication to the game was not quiet 100% .. we did just enough to get the job done .. For lack of a better term "bruise free footy"

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yes we were crap. But Melbourne are a joke. Lucky to still be in the AFL.

It was just a warm up match for the Cats game, that's why duds like Ledger & Cripps played.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Don't think either are duds .. Cripps did well and Ledger looked like he just needs time to pick up the pace of AFL

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Duds?

Hardly.

Perfect game for our kids, as they were playing against kids.

Cripps polished, Ledger worked hard and improved as the game wore on (IMO)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yes we were crap. But Melbourne are a joke. Lucky to still be in the AFL.

It was just a warm up match for the Cats game, that's why duds like Ledger & Cripps played.
Not all players are top ten draft picks.

Ledger has played a total of 4 senior games. Crippa only 13 in total. Both are still 20 years of age. Half our current players wouldn't be in the team if you expect them all to be like Rooy or Nicky Dal in their first few years.

After more than 13,300 comments by you, this is an outstanding dud post.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

The worst game of the year cannot be a win. That's impossible.

Enjoy the win. That's eight in a row vs Melbourne since they beat us in the '06 elim. May they remain our biyatches.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
older saint
SS Life Member

Defintely the worst field kicking skill i have seen all year in a StKilda game. The amount of kicks which fell just short or just long of a target was terrible ( started with Dal to Roo - knee and went from there).
Steven had a lot of the ball but not too many of his kicks actually hit the chest of a teammate. Wont be called a clanger because player took it on the half volley but should never have had too.
If we play like that v Geelong we will lose by 8 goals. Hopefully got that out of the system

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Yes we were crap. But Melbourne are a joke. Lucky to still be in the AFL.

Not all players are top ten draft picks.

Ledger has played a total of 4 senior games. Crippa only 13 in total. Both are still 20 years of age. Half our current players wouldn't be in the team if you expect them all to be like Rooy or Nicky Dal in their first few years.

After more than 13,300 comments by you, this is an outstanding dud post.
They may come good but they aren't any good yet.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PJ
SS Life Member

The worst aspect of our game being clearance work. Midfield were crap yesterday, with the exception of Lenny of course.

Armo looked slow
Jack's disposal was appalling
Ledger = little boy lost

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Gershwin
Club Player

How I love unimpressive wins.

I remember walking from Windy Hill in the 1980's after Essendon had beaten us by 'only' 5 or 6 goals and hearing Bomber supporters saying how poor they had been.
I thought how fantastic it would be to win a match and be able to complain that you hadn't played well.

Poor old Melbourne supporters.

summertime and the living is easy ........
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

it's strange, but i feel a lot more positive about next week after this performance. the team knew what they had to do this week and they did it, without really trying too hard or pushing it too much. they'll be as fresh as they can be before next week, and despite no riewoldt i'm not convinced we're going to lose.

saintkellerm
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:How I love unimpressive wins.

I remember walking from Windy Hill in the 1980's after Essendon had beaten us by 'only' 5 or 6 goals and hearing Bomber supporters saying how poor they had been.
I thought how fantastic it would be to win a match and be able to complain that you hadn't played well.

Poor old Melbourne supporters.
Exactly! I would rather an ugly win then a heartbreak loss, ala 09, 10.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

West Coast couldn't have played any worse against the Dockers and look how they played this round...beat Geelong in a close one when their form from the last few rounds wasn't that flash...we've got heaps of positives in our favour

1. We are playing Geelong on our home ground this week

2. Geelong are playing away, after having to travel to Perth.

3. They'll be without Hawkins

4. With Wilkes in terrific form, he will be up for the challenge and I'm confident ALL our players will be up for the challenge.

5. Chris Scott bagged the umpires and the umpires bosses :wink: :P :P

gringo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Don't think either are duds .. Cripps did well and Ledger looked like he just needs time to pick up the pace of AFL

I take it you won't a lets play the kids poster and were happy with our recycling program at the expense of developing youth.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
..we've got heaps of positives in our favour

He may or may not be out. Most players who are concussed play the next week. It all depends on how he goes on the cognitive test which they will give him each day. That will provide a measure on the degree of his concussion, and his rate of recovery from it.

Just being knocked out is no indicator on the severity.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Scollop wrote:

He may or may not be out. Most players who are concussed play the next week. It all depends on how he goes on the cognitive test which they will give him each day. That will provide a measure on the degree of his concussion, and his rate of recovery from it.

Normally - YES - I'd agree, but this year there has been a material change in the attitude of the clubs and club doctors and the AFL.

He needed a stretcher and he was out cold. He is a big bloke...he came crashing to the ground from a height and he smacked himself unconscious.

The perception from the outside looking in would be that the Geelong footy club is not looking after the player

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Scollop wrote:

Normally - YES - I'd agree, but this year there has been a material change in the attitude of the clubs and club doctors and the AFL.

He needed a stretcher and he was out cold. He is a big bloke...he came crashing to the ground from a height and he smacked himself unconscious.

The perception from the outside looking in would be that the Geelong footy club is not looking after the player

No it wouldnt. I doubt it would be mentioned anywhere apart from you on here if he plays.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I'd go one step further and say it was the worst game I've ever been too.

The intensity of the game was the worst I've ever seen. The atmosphere at the ground was below an interstate neutral game that used to be held up at the Gold Coast,or at Launceston, or even worse than the old Sydney games.

The crowd now totally lacks passion,banter in the outer is gone. What happened to the Aussie bloke at the footy? It's like attending a polo match now,seriously

The club need to give up playing home games at the G. Think out supporters would prefer to go to Princes park,and that's saying something

Bring back the Lockett era
resaintlee
Club Player

I actually had my first experience in a corporate box this game and thought the whole experience so lifeless that I will gladly return to my outside seat.
Although there was not really anything much to get excited and yell about, it was more the sheer frustration at the poor delivery and missed opportunities.