My 2 bobs worth.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

My 2 bobs worth.

There is a lot of negativity going around atm and for good reason, back in the day when losing was the norm we remained positive that something was around the corner, well we turned the corner and became competitive and reached dizzy heights albeit no cigar, now we fall and the hurt is much greater than those losses back in the days.

We are a shadow of the side pushing for the flag in recent years..get ready for a long while on the sidelines.
The only bright spark I see will be the emergence of players like Stevens, Saad,Stanley and a few others, our elite are ageing and the keeping of BJ as a nice to do has become an absolute critical must do.
Other sides around us have improved and or maintained a good level..Geelong, Hawthorn,Sydney for eg. and Collingwood is joining them, we on the other hand are wasting away.
Just hoping that the club can learn from the others and do some miraculous trading and recruiting asap.

In the meantime guys have a talk to some Melb supporters and find out how they get the cheap deals on ski lift tickets. The sky is falling in ? well it harder to remain positive.

PS I have to say I find some of the supporters on here having very little grasp on the caper, the ones bagging Stevens for eg. Back in the day we would have killed for a kid like him. Not to mention the ones who bag Milne every second week...some of these supporters should have been around when a single win was like a GF.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: My 2 bobs worth.

Appreciate you sharing your opinion.

What pleases me about your 'bright spark' is that those guys are in an age catergory that prior to this year, I was actually pretty worried about.

Saad, Steven, Milera, Stanley, Simpkin are not skinny 18 year olds, they are all 21-22 years olds.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:There is a lot of negativity going around atm and for good reason, back in the day when losing was the norm we remained positive that something was around the corner, well we turned the corner and became competitive and reached dizzy heights albeit no cigar, now we fall and the hurt is much greater than those losses back in the days.We are a shadow of the side pushing for the flag in recent years..get ready for a long while on the sidelines.
The only bright spark I see will be the emergence of players like Stevens, Saad,Stanley and a few others, our elite are ageing and the keeping of BJ as a nice to do has become an absolute critical must do.
Other sides around us have improved and or maintained a good level..Geelong, Hawthorn,Sydney for eg. and Collingwood is joining them, we on the other hand are wasting away.
Just hoping that the club can learn from the others and do some miraculous trading and recruiting asap.

In the meantime guys have a talk to some Melb supporters and find out how they get the cheap deals on ski lift tickets. The sky is falling in ? well it harder to remain positive.

PS I have to say I find some of the supporters on here having very little grasp on the caper, the ones bagging Stevens for eg. Back in the day we would have killed for a kid like him. Not to mention the ones who bag Milne every second week...some of these supporters should have been around when a single win was like a GF.
The fall after not winning the grand prize is what hurts so much

when we were down the bottom for so long the losses did not seem to hurt so much

flat as a tack at the moment knowing our real chance to win ONE is gone

the concern for us is how long that time will be.

saint4life
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If Lyon had remained at the helm it would have been worse...much worse! I'll agree to disagree with you on our prospects Fireman. The big difference between the Saints of 2000-2003 is that we have a coach and list manager who can get us back into the contenders a lot quicker than many posters think. While flag prospects are remote at present (to say the least!) with good recruitment and list management, as well as more game time for the kids like Steven, Newnes, Sippos, Stanley and Co, I see no reason why we cannot reload for a spot in the 8 next season, with a serious tilt at the flag in 2014/15. But d'you know what? I'll be signing up for next season WHATEVER the future may hold. If you're a Sainter..its UNCONDITIONAL!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:If Lyon had remained at the helm it would have been worse...much worse! I'll agree to disagree with you on our prospects Fireman. The big difference between the Saints of 2000-2003 is that we have a coach and list manager who can get us back into the contenders a lot quicker than many posters think. While flag prospects are remote at present (to say the least!) with good recruitment and list management, as well as more game time for the kids like Steven, Newnes, Sippos, Stanley and Co, I see no reason why we cannot reload for a spot in the 8 next season, with a serious tilt at the flag in 2014/15. But d'you know what? I'll be signing up for next season WHATEVER the future may hold. If you're a Sainter..its UNCONDITIONAL!!!!!
I agree with you there, as a club we are a lot more professional but then again you find yourself expecting more. Which is why our club needs to follow templates set by the Geelongs,Hawthorns and Collingwoods (the supporters need not follow that for the latter)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I think that this is what IS happening at the club (re "templates etc") but it does not (as the shampoo ads say) happen over night!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
spert
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:There is a lot of negativity going around atm and for good reason, back in the day when losing was the norm we remained positive that something was around the corner, well we turned the corner and became competitive and reached dizzy heights albeit no cigar, now we fall and the hurt is much greater than those losses back in the days.

We are a shadow of the side pushing for the flag in recent years..get ready for a long while on the sidelines.

I was there when wins were few, and we had blokes like Steven running around years ago - fumbling, poor disposal, in and out of the game. I am still to be convinced that he is other than G.O.P. I would like him to really step up, and since he lost his licence and got suspended by the club weeks ago, he has dropped his bundle and not worked hard enough. Let's hope next year is a better story

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:If Lyon had remained at the helm it would have been worse...much worse! I'll agree to disagree with you on our prospects Fireman. The big difference between the Saints of 2000-2003 is that we have a coach and list manager who can get us back into the contenders a lot quicker than many posters think. While flag prospects are remote at present (to say the least!) with good recruitment and list management, as well as more game time for the kids like Steven, Newnes, Sippos, Stanley and Co, I see no reason why we cannot reload for a spot in the 8 next season, with a serious tilt at the flag in 2014/15. But d'you know what? I'll be signing up for next season WHATEVER the future may hold. If you're a Sainter..its UNCONDITIONAL!!!!!
I agree with you there, as a club we are a lot more professional but then again you find yourself expecting more. Which is why our club needs to follow templates set by the Geelongs,Hawthorns and Collingwoods (the supporters need not follow that for the latter)
We became a lot more professional when Ross Lyon came to the club. Also Jigging, how do you know our coach and list manager can get back us into contenders? Its all talk at the moment, what else would they say?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: But d'you know what? I'll be signing up for next season WHATEVER the future may hold. If you're a Sainter..its UNCONDITIONAL!!!!!
+1

howlinwolf
Club Player

Clarky,
I am very happy with the professionalism Watters shows on the field and especially off the field. Pelchen is highly regarded and we have gone o.k in his dept. Better than we have in other years.
I think we have this part of the puzzle pretty well right.

The fact we hurt now shows how far the club has come.
I'm also from the era where we celebrated a win like a flag and focussed on individual performances of our players.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that you mention Hawthorn, as we have the guy who recruited them to where they are now, don't forget that, and I have heard whispers that he has been very active already for 2013.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:PS I have to say I find some of the supporters on here having very little grasp on the caper, the ones bagging Stevens ...
For a start, his name is Steven, not Stevens. So much for attention to detail. Second, the idea that someone so small and slow, with such woeful skills is ever going to be a "GUN" is ludicrous. You must have spent too much time in the bar watching games rather than play on the field. Third, comparing Stephen Milne - one of the top 50 goal kickers of all time - and one of the all time great Saints champs - with a dud like Jack Steven is one of the great insults. Stephen (note the spelling) always had foot skills - from day one. Jack Steven has never had foot skills - from day 1. You are totally deluded if you think that will change with more games under his belt. The only thing that will happen is that he will get the ball (usually after running to space, the good component of his game) and give it straight to the opposition and lose games for us.

So I'm afraid your two bobs worth is devalued to about a farthing.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
The Fireman wrote:PS I have to say I find some of the supporters on here having very little grasp on the caper, the ones bagging Stevens ...
For a start, his name is Steven, not Stevens. So much for attention to detail. Second, the idea that someone so small and slow, with such woeful skills is ever going to be a "GUN" is ludicrous. You must have spent too much time in the bar watching games rather than play on the field. Third, comparing Stephen Milne - one of the top 50 goal kickers of all time - and one of the all time great Saints champs - with a dud like Jack Steven is one of the great insults. Stephen (note the spelling) always had foot skills - from day one. Jack Steven has never had foot skills - from day 1. You are totally deluded if you think that will change with more games under his belt. The only thing that will happen is that he will get the ball (usually after running to space, the good component of his game) and give it straight to the opposition and lose games for us.

perfect example of what I meant when saying "having little grasp on the game." Do you wonder why so many on here laugh at you ?

1965 Saint
Club Player

Spot on the Jigging one.. One supports SK regardless or f off in my opinion

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:

Please do me a favour and change your name from perfectionist because you are truly a fool, it's one thing to comment on Jacks footskills but to say he is slow is just plain stupid.
Jack will be a gun, he is a goal kicking mid that we have lacked for years and him combined with Armo, Newnes, Cripps, Ross, Markworth and Ledger will form the nucleus of a very good midfield group in the next few years.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:

Please do me a favour and change your name from perfectionist because you are truly a fool, it's one thing to comment on Jacks footskills but to say he is slow is just plain stupid.
Jack will be a gun, he is a goal kicking mid that we have lacked for years and him combined with Armo, Newnes, Cripps, Ross, Markworth and Ledger will form the nucleus of a very good midfield group in the next few years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Plays his 50th game next week, don't let perfectionist do the banner.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

I know who is slow and it aint Jack. You really have little idea on footy. Maybe you should follow something else. Is checkers to hard?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:We became a lot more professional when Ross Lyon came to the club. Also Jigging, how do you know our coach and list manager can get back us into contenders? Its all talk at the moment, what else would they say?

BS clarky the professionalism was already there. Lyon rode on the back of it. Not bagging him. Good coach for the list we had. But I am glad his has left. We need a Watters and Pelchan to make a long term strategy.

Anybody listening to Watters before the game on SEN on Friday night knows we are out of contention for the next 12-24 months. Watters made that known with NO DOUBT.

He also left no doubt that the strategic goal and direction is to remake the Saints as a top four team. Yes I know it sound trite, but was impressed with the honesty and the lack of false hope he spoke with.

Facts are - we are done. IMO we were done the moment the siren went in GF1 2010. How far done - Bulldogs or Melbourne? Or Sydney and WCE or Adelaide? Cant tell, but we will be rebuilding.

Be prepared for Watters to be playing many of the young ones not played this season next year.

We may have another wait. Will it be a wait like between 2005-2008 or a wait like from 1998-2004?

Wait and see.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We may have another wait. Will it be a wait like between 2005-2008 or a wait like from 1998-2004?
or a wait like between 1973 and 1991? 17 seasons, zero finals, 7 wooden spoons, 374 games played for 101 wins - just over one every four games...

or like richmond between 1982 and the present day. 30 seasons, 2 finals series. it does happen, and could easily happen to us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
joffaboy wrote:We may have another wait. Will it be a wait like between 2005-2008 or a wait like from 1998-2004?
or a wait like between 1973 and 1991? 17 seasons, zero finals, 7 wooden spoons, 374 games played for 101 wins - just over one every four games...

or like richmond between 1982 and the present day. 30 seasons, 2 finals series. it does happen, and could easily happen to us.
We will challenge and as joffaboy states it might mean a 5 year period before that window of opportunity again...but I'm confident we won't lose our way

Salary cap, draft, and other equalisation from above means in all probability that it won't be a 10 year finals drought for St Kilda. IMHO, the club will not be complacent, infact they'll be just the opposite - Saint Kilda footy club is hungry for success. We need to get the off-field side of things right and put in place a footy department that is the equal of most of the recent premiership winners.

The guys like Maxy, Sammy, and Burkey and Andrew Thompson came from the most recent era's of finals success. I'm sure that the next group of assistants and perhaps administrators will come from this current playing group of professionals, who know what it takes and who should put their hand up to teach the draftees of the future.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Would be nice to see Max & banger back in the fold,ass coach maybe. he is the sort of bloke that would lift our young brigade.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Salary cap, draft, and other equalisation from above means in all probability that it won't be a 10 year finals drought for St Kilda. IMHO, the club will not be complacent, infact they'll be just the opposite - Saint Kilda footy club is hungry for success. We need to get the off-field side of things right and put in place a footy department that is the equal of most of the recent premiership winners.
unfortunately that takes cash, and most recent premiership winners have more cash than we do. in fact, port is probably the only one since the kangas in 99 which has a similar financial footing to us. we can't compete on footy department spending, but without spending on the footy department we can't compete on field. tough spot for club management.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Scollop wrote:Salary cap, draft, and other equalisation from above means in all probability that it won't be a 10 year finals drought for St Kilda. IMHO, the club will not be complacent, infact they'll be just the opposite - Saint Kilda footy club is hungry for success. We need to get the off-field side of things right and put in place a footy department that is the equal of most of the recent premiership winners.
unfortunately that takes cash, and most recent premiership winners have more cash than we do. in fact, port is probably the only one since the kangas in 99 which has a similar financial footing to us. we can't compete on footy department spending, but without spending on the footy department we can't compete on field. tough spot for club management.
good point, the Skunks are rolling in it and it shows.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote:
clarky449 wrote:We became a lot more professional when Ross Lyon came to the club. Also Jigging, how do you know our coach and list manager can get back us into contenders? Its all talk at the moment, what else would they say?

BS clarky the professionalism was already there. Lyon rode on the back of it. Not bagging him. Good coach for the list we had. But I am glad his has left. We need a Watters and Pelchan to make a long term strategy.
agreed
Butterss and thomas turned the club around.
lyon came in after that, and had zero list management ambitions
Hopefully pelchen can duplicate the one year "bottom out" and fast climb up the ladder like the hawks of '08 - '12

Seeya