Goddard question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

goods
Club Player

Goddard question

If he goes we get a first round draft pick, so where in the first round does it place? I don't understand sorry

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Goddard question

There are about 50 threads on the same thing.......

By the way, he is not going anywhere.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:There are about 50 threads on the same thing.......

By the way, he is not going anywhere.
And probably 50 differnt answers, so what's the answer?

I love this club
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Nobody knows. The AFL has a formula for free agents which they haven't released. It's dependent on how much a club loses versus gains and there are tiers of compensation. The assumption is that if we lose BJ, he'll be top tier, so mid first round, probably after the non-finalists. 14th overall right now. That is assuming he doesn't sign with GWS as an uncontracted player (with no rights to match) where he could attract up to two comp picks depending on the formula.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The best we will do is the pick after our lst pick.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:The best we will do is the pick after our lst pick.
If GWS compo is the same as it was last year, then we can't get that. The Dogs and Melbourne were given the option of first round picks at the end of the round last year or after their first pick this year and beyond. Not surprisingly, they both opted for this year rather than last.

Personally, I think the teams holding onto their comp picks are nuts. Every year they wait to activate is a year of development wasted playing a guessing game of when they'll maximise the pick value. I think Freo were wise to get rid of theirs for a live pick. If BJ does leave for GWS, I'd prefer to see them get players into the club ASAP, whether that's a trade for live picks or a mini-draft pick. I think getting kids into a good environment is far more important than making sure picks are as early as possible.

Saintersss
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
borderbarry wrote:The best we will do is the pick after our lst pick.
If GWS compo is the same as it was last year, then we can't get that. The Dogs and Melbourne were given the option of first round picks at the end of the round last year or after their first pick this year and beyond. Not surprisingly, they both opted for this year rather than last.

Personally, I think the teams holding onto their comp picks are nuts. Every year they wait to activate is a year of development wasted playing a guessing game of when they'll maximise the pick value. I think Freo were wise to get rid of theirs for a live pick. If BJ does leave for GWS, I'd prefer to see them get players into the club ASAP, whether that's a trade for live picks or a mini-draft pick. I think getting kids into a good environment is far more important than making sure picks are as early as possible.

That is not correct. You receive a pick after your 1st round pick. The dogs and Melbourne will be getting picks after their first round picks this year, which we be around Pick 4 for Melbourne and Pick 6 for the Dogs.

If Goddard leaves via free agency we will probably get 1st tier which will be a Pick after our 1st round pick most likely around Pick 11-14. However, all compensation picks received via free agency have to be used the year you lose the player unlike the GWS compensation picks which can be banked for 5 years. If Goddard goes to GWS we can potentially get a pick after our first round AND a mid-first round pick if the AFL decides he is worth the top tier in that compensation.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Saintersss wrote:That is not correct.
Which part? I wasn't wrong about the Scully/Ward/Davis Compo picks:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/weste ... fault.aspx

I'm not sure where you're getting the info that you receive a pick after your first round pick (link?). That's true of GWS signings, but FA has different rules entirely. The second band has been reported as end of the round. My understanding is the top band is mid-round.

EDIT:

My apologies - I've found it:

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/ ... 24mtt.html
Melbourne and the Bulldogs both opted to utilise their compensation picks this year, knowing that they were likely to be reasonably good choices - their picks are immediately after their first choices, a system that will be repeated under free agency.
That's unbelievable given what other leagues give out as compensation for free agency.

goods
Club Player

Thanks ok well a pick above 10 is not sufficient compensation surely

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

goods wrote:Thanks ok well a pick above 10 is not sufficient compensation surely
Agree, If he goes don't expect to get acceptable compensation. Just hope he doesn't go

I love this club
andrewg
Club Player

He isn't leaving. THE END

Chef attack
Club Player

andrewg wrote:He isn't leaving. THE END
This