Tom Curren

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Tom Curren

I haven't seen a whole lot of the kid, but the few bits and pieces of VFL matches I have seen recently suggests to me that Curren has improved out of sight and could have a serious crack at getting himself a spot in our senior side next year. He's a strong ball winner, runs incredibly hard and has decent skills. He's not lightning fast but probably quicker than Lenny or Dal.

Can anyone who has seen more of Sandy over the past couple of years fill me in on Curren's strengths/weaknesses/progress? He certainly seems to have an AFL ready body, is there any reason why he wouldn't be capable of playing AFL next year?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Curren

I haven't seen a lot of him but from what I've heard his positives are his ball winning ability and durability and his negatives are his lack of pace and skills. I guess he could be a decent depth mid on our senior list or a tagger.

savatage
SS Life Member

I've always thought he had very neat skills, I've read other people rubbishing his skills but I don't buy into that at all.

He lacks height, that's probably his biggest negative.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So I was looking at the Curren highlights from the weekend and HOLY LORD - how did u like the piece of play from Ferg at 0.45s???

I really think Dunell, Ferg and Curren will get promoted on to next years senior list.

defacto
Club Player

i reckon we might hold off for one more year just due to where our list is at. can we upgrade a rookie half way through the year like we did dunell next season?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So I was looking at the Curren highlights from the weekend and HOLY LORD - how did u like the piece of play from Ferg at 0.45s???

I really think Dunell, Ferg and Curren will get promoted on to next years senior list.

Hope they dont promote all three. They arent all going to play early and if they do promote all 3 extra players will need to get delisted or we draft less. I wouldnt promote Ferg at this stage and probably not Curren either.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:I've always thought he had very neat skills, I've read other people rubbishing his skills but I don't buy into that at all.

He lacks height, that's probably his biggest negative.
Yeah his skills have looked fine to me, even showed a bit of toe and some impressive offensive running. I think recruiters and coaches are finally easing up on their ridiculous height prejudice for midfielders.If lack of height is his only real drawback then he should absolutely be upgraded. I'm a big Ledger fan but honestly Curren has looked better than him in recent the VFL games I have seen.

mick13
Club Player

Another big plus is hit attitude.

Remember reading about him last pre/off season about him being at the club everyday to train.

Gets a lot of it. Can't really comment on his pace or skills but I reckon he's a chance to make it. Will be a rookie at the very least next year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very short, powerful build, very quick, hard at it, can find it, can kick a goal, can run with a player....

Has easily done enough and shown progression.... Deserves promotion

Don't be surprised if he win Sandy's B&F

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

is he a surfer?

saintDal
Club Player

Could he be our Zorko next year? Similar height and build.

hAyES
Club Player

He's an absolute ball magnet with genuine speed. Whoever says he lacks pace obviously hasn't seen him play. Gets among the goals as well. I haven't seen any issues with his kicking. Would be close to Sandy's best player this year and I agree with the person who said he has probably been better than Ledger.

Definitely deserves to be promoted.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Agree totally, just watched the Sandy game from the weekend and he was easily our best.