Will Minson Hypothetical

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Will Minson Hypothetical

Ok, today's media is talking about Will Minson wanting 3 years, but the Dogs are only offering 2. This is a 27 year old, with the most hitouts for the competition for 2012.

You are Chris Pelchin, and Minson's agent comes to you and says

"$450k/year for 3 years."

Assuming we have opened up that much in the cap, what do you say??? Too much?? Dont rate him?? Brain fades too much of a liability??

I say yes. A genuine tap ruckman to help out Big Mac, and gives us 3 years to develop the next crop.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Minson Hypothetical

Minson has come on in leaps and bounds since taking the #1 duties from Hudson...Some ruckmen, Ben included, seem to thrive on being the #1 ruckman. Minson seems to fit into that category.
As good as he's been I am not sure that he would be comfortable in Ben's shadow and I am not sure Ben would be comfortable in his.
Not a good fit, IMO.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Any sort of talk would take valuable time away from chasing more promising talent.
Minson would be a worthy pick but a bit costly (less money for other players) and i think he will stay putt, any talks would, for him, just be leverage l, nothing more.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
paddy
Club Player

Yeah, We have a good developing ruckman.

I think we would be best to target a ruckman who naturally to the backline to rest...

My guess is we will go for a VFL or WAFL ruckman, who is around about 26 through to 29.... like what the cats did...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

RIX ROX RUX

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

too much baggage

why go backward- we've laready had Rix- nice block
and Ackland... Irishman

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
defacto
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:RIX ROX RUX
he was good for subi last year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Where would Minson play for the bulk of the game or if he is our number one ruckman where does Ben play. We need a forward ruckman not a ruckman.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

How many times has big mac won the hitout duel?

I see him more of around the ground tall man that sits infront of opposition forwards.

Will Minson tbo is better than that.

The big question is will big mac ever get any better?

Has time on his side.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:How many times has big mac won the hitout duel?

I see him more of around the ground tall man that sits infront of opposition forwards.

Will Minson tbo is better than that.

The big question is will big mac ever get any better?

Has time on his side.

So how could you play both in the one side? I cant see how to ruckmen play in the same side these days. Has any club got 2 ruckmen only in the one side?

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

You can not. but it depends on what the coaches want. Minson is better at rucking, big mac is better around the ground. What is more important? Its up to the selection team to decide

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:You can not. but it depends on what the coaches want. Minson is better at rucking, big mac is better around the ground. What is more important? Its up to the selection team to decide

Well you cant have either of them in the seconds. What a waste of the salary cap.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Newnes could well become a beauty but…

I wonder why we didn't try and get Ivan Maric, Adelaide gave him up for Lynch & we got the pick from Richmond. But it was pretty obvious that we were seriously deficient in ruck stocks, I wonder if we could have traded straight with Adelaide.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Newnes could well become a beauty but…

I wonder why we didn't try and get Ivan Maric, Adelaide gave him up for Lynch & we got the pick from Richmond. But it was pretty obvious that we were seriously deficient in ruck stocks, I wonder if we could have traded straight with Adelaide.

If we Maric then Ben would be in the seconds. We need a ruckman who mainly plays elsewhere or just a hack back up who only plays when Ben is injured.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If we Maric then Ben would be in the seconds. We need a ruckman who mainly plays elsewhere or just a hack back up who only plays when Ben is injured.
Well if Ben isn't good enough then I am happy for him to be in the seconds for now. If we land a better ruckman then we should play him, we are currently getting flogged in the hitouts nearly every week. Definitely need a backup or 2, maybe Sikora could be worth a rookie spot, most clubs have at least 3 ruckmen on their list.

I spose Kosi is still the man, until we find someone better.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well if Ben isn't good enough then I am happy for him to be in the seconds for now. If we land a better ruckman then we should play him, we are currently getting flogged in the hitouts nearly every week. Definitely need a backup or 2, maybe Sikora could be worth a rookie spot, most clubs have at least 3 ruckmen on their list.

Then Ben leaves though because he would be a wanted man. I suppose it depends what you class as important in rucking. I like the around the ground work and Ben is one of the best at that. You obviously class tap outs as important and Ben struggles there. I still say Stanley is the idea second ruckman. i just think we need a back up hack in the seconds.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

McEvoy is a better footballer than Minson. Id prefer a ruckman that pushes down back takes marks and fills the hole. Than a ruckman that simply just rucks.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
fingers
Saintsational Legend

God how many posts did we have on that!

I still remember that one great goal he kicked from the boundary line against Sydney.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think you could play Ben down forward permanently regularly. Takes a solid grab and can kick straight and played a lot there when younger. As I don't think Kosi will get such a look in next year. Two words Adam Pattinson, just kidding. A full back who can play ruck get two birds with one stone. Like a young taller Blakey. Then with Stanley got a bit of cover.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:

God how many posts did we have on that!

I still remember that one great goal he kicked from the boundary line against Sydney.
The one that hit the post? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I know we need another one but i sometimes carn't work out why . Macca is good around the ground yet is quite often beaten at the centre bounces .
Kreuzer killed him in the hitouts on sunday yet we easily won the centre clearences .

In red white and black from 73
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:too much baggage

why go backward- we've laready had Rix- nice block
and Ackland... Irishman
How on earth does he have too much baggage?

He can be a bit of a tool on the field however sheesh, baggage is Cousins or Fevola. Not Will Minson.

If we trade him then what? Big Mac does what?

Bazza1970
Club Player

Surely we could spend $450K and 3yrs on a better player than Will Minson.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Why do some rate a ruck that fills the hole as being more important than a ruck that rucks?

Look at how well we did with the King/Gardiner combo.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hamish McIntosh may come cheap?

I would like Zac Clarke, averages a goal a game, quite servicable in hitouts to advantage, very athletic.