herald sun back page

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

herald sun back page

Big story in Tomorrow's HeraldSun re Roo taking a paycut to keep BJ at the club

Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: herald sun back page

Well if that's the case then they are of the thought that he has definately gone at this moment.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Well if that's the case then they are of the thought that he has definately gone at this moment.
Well if it's true I reckon the odds of BJ staying just shot right up.

He apparently wants to stay and, regardless of what other clubs may be prepared to throw at him, has a really good offer on the table from the Saints. Now if Roo's prepared to take a pay cut to help keep the bloke who is in his wedding party, I reckon it will be extremely difficult for BJ to leave.

Time will tell.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Buckets wrote:Well if that's the case then they are of the thought that he has definately gone at this moment.

He apparently wants to stay and, regardless of what other clubs may be prepared to throw at him, has a really good offer on the table from the Saints. Now if Roo's prepared to take a pay cut to help keep the bloke who is in his wedding party, I reckon it will be extremely difficult for BJ to leave.

Time will tell.

BJ in Roos party?

Who else? Kosi?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Interesting.
It seems the players still believe, even if we don't.
He's doing what a skipper does, leading by example, on and off the field.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Couple that with BJ bringing a letter on TFS of a coin a Saints kids had sent him earlier in the year, he just can't leave now....

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I love Roo. Hopefully this won't be forgotten by the club down the track

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Time will tell.
Not if the Dockers offer him 200k extra a season and a 5 yr deal

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Junior
Club Player

Rubbish story, deal entered into in 2009 that he would be paid 1 million for first three years and 500k for last.

So the only thing happening is that the last year of the contract is being adhered to.

Nothing to do with an attempt to keep Goddard rather that due to this pre exisisting contract we have more room in the salary cap.

No pay cut simply a front loaded contract, which was smart for Riewoldt getting most dollars up front and the club clearing some room in the cap.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Rubbish story, deal entered into in 2009 that he would be paid 1 million for first three years and 500k for last.

So the only thing happening is that the last year of the contract is being adhered to.

Nothing to do with an attempt to keep Goddard rather that due to this pre exisisting contract we have more room in the salary cap.

No pay cut simply a front loaded contract, which was smart for Riewoldt getting most dollars up front and the club clearing some room in the cap.

Yeah that's how I read it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Junior wrote:Rubbish story, deal entered into in 2009 that he would be paid 1 million for first three years and 500k for last.

+1

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

It's a great gesture however I don't agree with it if it means we're paying BJ "overs". I thought the aim was to iron-out the peaks and troughs in our TPP. If BJ gets the big deal, what's to stop a kid putting their hand out in 3 years time asking for the same deal as: BJ, Roo, Lenny, Sammy etc..

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Spinner wrote:

+1
+2

I love this club
chook23
Saintsational Legend

agree...rubbish story

No cut involved at all...500,000 already agreed.

saint4life
matrix
Saintsational Legend

pffft
as if the dockers are offering 800 PER year for 5 years

lol

NOT
GOING

ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

(out of melb)

:D

The_Merchant
Club Player

Similar to a story last year about Luke Ball taking a cut so that the pies could re-sign pendlebury etc. Complete rubbish. Apparently journos have no concept of how a front ended contract works.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Yaysaints
Club Player

One of the things that might be discussed though is the size of Nick's contract.
900 large or so would make him the highest paid player behind the NRL converts
and Ablett/Scully?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yaysaints wrote:One of the things that might be discussed though is the size of Nick's contract.
900 large or so would make him the highest paid player behind the NRL converts
and Ablett/Scully?

Fair enough at the time to. Best player in the AFL playing the hardest position on the ground. GC17 and the AFL where very keen to have him as first skipper up there.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:Similar to a story last year about Luke Ball taking a cut so that the pies could re-sign pendlebury etc. Complete rubbish. Apparently journos have no concept of how a front ended contract works.
I think the journos do understand the concept of a front ended contract but in this case they choose to ignore it in order to create a back page story. I think most people would recognise that story for the beat up that it is.

I love this club
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yep, my understanding it was a front-ended deal so they could have some salary cap room for 2013-14. Think year 5 is up for negotiation. Doubt it's anything to do with retaining Goddard.

Still why let facts get in the way of another reason to slam Goddard? No threads on Riewoldt being overpaid.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 18 Sep 2012 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:

Yep, my understanding it was a front-ended deal so they could have some salary cap room for 2013-14. Think year 5 is up for negotiation. Doubt it's anything to do with retaining Goddard.

Still why let facts get in the way of another reason to slam Goddard?

Where did they slam BJ in the article?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Not really in the article (it just implies that NR's paycut could help keep BJ) some supporters p!ssed off that poor Riewoldt has to take a pay cut to retain that damn Goddard. It's right here in this thread and others....

Hold your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Not really in the article (it just implies that NR's paycut could help keep BJ) some supporters p!ssed off that poor Riewoldt has to take a pay cut to retain that damn Goddard. It's right here in this thread and others....

Well they cant read. Wouldnt worry about people who imagine what is written then what is actually written.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 18 Sep 2012 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:It's a great gesture however I don't agree with it if it means we're paying BJ "overs". I thought the aim was to iron-out the peaks and troughs in our TPP. If BJ gets the big deal, what's to stop a kid putting their hand out in 3 years time asking for the same deal as: BJ, Roo, Lenny, Sammy etc..
With all due respect, it's not a great gesture at all. It's just a contract, if I read correctly. The club and Roo have been well aware of it since it was signed in 2009. Nothing has changed in regards to BJ at all. The extra cash has always been available in the 2013 cap.