Steven Baker was bloody selfish

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Steven Baker was bloody selfish

Presti, Beams, McGlynn, Guerra.

The more blokes I see pulling out of GFs because of injury, the less respect I have for Bakes covering up his injury going into the GF Replay in 2010.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Steven Baker was bloody selfish

If we lost by a kick then you may have grounds to denigrate a club legend.

We got beat by 10 goals so Bakes injury is absolutely inconsequential

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree...

The emergencies that day were Stanley, Geary, Steven from memory?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:If we lost by a kick then you may have grounds to denigrate a club legend.

How has what we got beaten by got ANYTHING to do with his decision to play if injured?

By the way. I watched his interview with Mike and Baker said he got injured early in the game and not before it. So I don't believe he went into the game injured anyway. So therefore the discusion is a waste of time IMO.

8856brother wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:If we lost by a kick then you may have grounds to denigrate a club legend.

How has what we got beaten by got ANYTHING to do with his decision to play if injured?

By the way. I watched his interview with Mike and Baker said he got injured early in the game and not before it. So I don't believe he went into the game injured anyway. So therefore the discusion is a waste of time IMO.
I thought he said he knew the first contest that he was stuffed, and probably shouldn't of played as he watched Pendlebury run off into the sunset?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
8856brother wrote:

I thought he said he knew the first contest that he was stuffed, and probably shouldn't of played as he watched Pendlebury run off into the sunset?
You may be right K but I didn't hear it that way. I thought he said it was a new injury early in the game. Anyone got a link. Be happy to admit if wrong. Still doesn't change my view on the original statement.

Recent Sheahan interview showed Baker's intelligence levels
low level bogan thug who would have fitted in nicely at Collingwood!
Decision on fitness for GF2 can't be blamed on him though, what are the coaches,doctors and physios paid for?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Made no difference at all. Maybe kicking straighter earlier may have helped. The emergencies hadnt played for about 5 weeks anyway.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

One of the blokes that actually won his position.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
andrewg
Club Player

Heard Eddy did the same thing with his collarbone. It was broken in game 1 and he covered it up.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Heard Eddy did the same thing with his collarbone. It was broken in game 1 and he covered it up.
Yes of course he did. Ever had a broken collarbone?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
andrewg
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
andrewg wrote:Heard Eddy did the same thing with his collarbone. It was broken in game 1 and he covered it up.
Yes of course he did. Ever had a broken collarbone?
Just what heard from his older cousin. Might be a bit of Chinese whispers but was not 100%.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Presti, Beams, McGlynn, Guerra.

The more blokes I see pulling out of GFs because of injury, the less respect I have for Bakes covering up his injury going into the GF Replay in 2010.
I assume this is the ultimate joke thread. Otherwise, think before you post.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

I reckon Steven should of played instead, what do you reckon?

battye
Saintsational Legend

Ah, what's done is done. I doubt it would have changed the result.
If we'd won we'd be praising these guys for their courage and determination for playing through injury.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

He had his groin operated on 3 days after the GF. He wasnt fit enough to play. I didnt even realise he was an emergency. That is surprising.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Eddy played with a broken jaw which he sustained in the Prelim I believe. He stayed on the ground until the end allowing us to have a 5 man bench for that last 5 minutes of the game when the result was beyond doubt.

Geary should have come in as well as one other change. Don't know who though.

Armo and Steven were really not fit enough so there was really no one else which tells you about the state our list was in. Pity Armo go that knee in the VFL during the season. I think he did it twice. It wasn't that long ago but it might as well have been 20 years ago.

It was a magnificent effort just to get to the GF in the first place and then to nearly pinch it was almost a miracle.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
defacto
Club Player

he wasnt alone.

lyon was on record saying gram, peake and dal made personal commitments to him they would be able to get back up and wouldnt have a repeat of GF1.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

An unproven dud for a Saints gun. Fair swap. Puts all your posts into perspective.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I was obviously teasing you Perfectionist :)

If anyone should of played for Bakes it should of been Gears

andrewg
Club Player

i stand corrected, it was his jaw thanks spav

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Steven was rooted, so some wishful imagineering going on in this thread. Too many like to believe that Lyon deliberately chose not to play young players, rather than he refused to play young players if they were not up to it (skill and body wise). His last year showed that when talent arrived he played them till they got injured.

In GF2 most of the team was physically not up to GF standard, and so we were always going to lose the replay to the Pies who rocked up to GF2 in pretty much tip top shape. So one more in Bakes would not have made much difference.

Remember too that Dal and a few other played injured in GF 1 as the Saints had a lot of injuries too any likely replacement including Steven for both GF1 and 2..
They spent their bodies in GF1...with many outside the team in poor state......and that is just the reality of the situation

And one last point, it is somewhat ironic now getting stuck in Bakes being selected when back then there was huge uproar on playing the fit Zac over the injury suspect Max.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He had his groin operated on 3 days after the GF. He wasnt fit enough to play. I didnt even realise he was an emergency. That is surprising.
Is there any player who doesn't have an operation as soon as the season is over?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I didn't like the Bakes interview either on Open Mike a few weeks ago - but I'm not going to hang him for everything he's done in the past.

Plenty of blokes play injured in GF's. Why Bakes chose to announce to the world he was injured in that game surprises me. Particularly because he didn't play well - it just sounds like an excuse 2 years later.

Not sure the analogy with Dal and a couple of others is valid though- hiding an injury and playing is completely different to being up front about the injury with the club. I would guess that RL would have done anything he could to get Dal to play in those GF's such was his importance to the team, and would have been fully aware of his injury. Bakes knew he was one of the last picked as he had missed so much of the year. He obviously didn't want to give the selectors a reason to drop him.

Was it wise for the selectors to play Zac in 09 after he had gastro the night before? - Luke Hodge pulled out last weekend with it. It's just about the most debilitating illness there is. I've sometimes found it hard to walk to the letterbox when affected by it, let alone play an AFL GF. We had Max waiting in the wings afterall - not as if he couldn't have been replaced.

GF's throw up these sort of questions all the time. Just not sure why Bakes himself would throw it up and allow this type of debate to continue. At the very least, no-one is going to think higher of him for playing. It serves no purpose talking to the media about it - was one of the reasons why I couldn't understand why he did the interview in the first place.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Steven was rooted, so some wishful imagineering going on in this thread. Too many like to believe that Lyon deliberately chose not to play young players, rather than he refused to play young players if they were not up to it (skill and body wise). His last year showed that when talent arrived he played them till they got injured.

In GF2 most of the team was physically not up to GF standard, and so we were always going to lose the replay to the Pies who rocked up to GF2 in pretty much tip top shape. So one more in Bakes would not have made much difference.

Remember too that Dal and a few other played injured in GF 1 as the Saints had a lot of injuries too any likely replacement including Steven for both GF1 and 2..
They spent their bodies in GF1...with many outside the team in poor state......and that is just the reality of the situation

And one last point, it is somewhat ironic now getting stuck in Bakes being selected when back then there was huge uproar on playing the fit Zac over the injury suspect Max.
didn't mission say in his book that we virtually had a full team t choose from minus Raph?

personally even if they were lacking a bit of fitness, I think RL would have selected players that were more familiar with how he wanted the team to play... though I myself found aspects of his style frustrating, you have to respect that