Captain 2013

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Captain 2013

Before the arse fell out of this BJ deal, Roo mentioned somewhere that he'd be happy to hand over the cap to someone else...

I'm sure it was assumed that this was BJ's time to step up into the position, and may have been a way to entice him to look past the $$'s and to his teammates..

It hasn't worked out and he is gone... Im swinging on this, last hour I was angry with the club, now happy to have (potentially) two top 15 picks...

Either way, does Roo now hold onto the cap for another 12 months until McEvoy, Armo or someone else is ready to step into the role...

Who do we think is next in line to be our long term leader...

Personally, I'm happy for Roo to hold in this coming season, and I predict he'll have a better season next year as the Watters game plan really kicks in, and with some luck, his knee improves.. In which case, 2014 as Captain is a real shot too...

Him aside, no one else really jumps out, but I'm interested in opinions as to who/what will play out in the next 12/24 months.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain 2013

Roo was and will be Captain in 2013 whoever was at the club.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:Before the arse fell out of this BJ deal, Roo mentioned somewhere that he'd be happy to hand over the cap to someone else...

I'm sure it was assumed that this was BJ's time to step up into the position, and may have been a way to entice him to look past the $$'s and to his teammates..

It hasn't worked out and he is gone... Im swinging on this, last hour I was angry with the club, now happy to have (potentially) two top 15 picks...

Either way, does Roo now hold onto the cap for another 12 months until McEvoy, Armo or someone else is ready to step into the role...

Who do we think is next in line to be our long term leader...

Personally, I'm happy for Roo to hold in this coming season, and I predict he'll have a better season next year as the Watters game plan really kicks in, and with some luck, his knee improves.. In which case, 2014 as Captain is a real shot too...

Him aside, no one else really jumps out, but I'm interested in opinions as to who/what will play out in the next 12/24 months.
How on earth would McEvoy get the captaincy?

He barely beats an opponent in the hit outs and gets a few more possessions around the ground. Big whoop.

Hardly captain material.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt will surely keep it. The only other worthy options are all of a similar age to Roo and it wouldn't serve much purpose to change now. Next year is definitely an opportunity the likes of McEvoy and Armo to put their hands up and come into consideration in 2014.

santazzi
Club Player

If Roo does not want it for what ever reason.........Dempster for me.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lenny is the only one I would take it off Roo for, but he has had his turn. Did well as our Captain too. Of the rest Armitage is the one who I see to have the character to be a good captain, but he is a few years away yet.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote: How on earth would McEvoy get the captaincy?

He barely beats an opponent in the hit outs and gets a few more possessions around the ground. Big whoop.

Hardly captain material.
If it came down to hit outs then we'd be better off recruiting Peter Street and make him Captain...

BigBen works hard on and off the field, had great leadership potential as a junior, and his game is developing well...

Will be in the top handful of ruckman in the comp in his mid and latter career... Probably the best overhead mark for a ruck in the comp as it is right now, and does a mountain of work pushing back hard and helping out.. The tap stuff is overrated IMO..

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
The Redeemer wrote: How on earth would McEvoy get the captaincy?

Hardly captain material.
If it came down to hit outs then we'd be better off recruiting Peter Street and make him Captain...

BigBen works hard on and off the field, had great leadership potential as a junior, and his game is developing well...

Will be in the top handful of ruckman in the comp in his mid and latter career... Probably the best overhead mark for a ruck in the comp as it is right now, and does a mountain of work pushing back hard and helping out.. The tap stuff is overrated IMO..
That is your opinion however it is blatantly wrong.

We need a bloke that can get hit outs and beat opposition rucks.

Any coincidence we did really well with Gardiner and King running the show?

Hmmmm

loris
Saintsational Legend

Big Ben was the one sent to NZ with current captain Rooey for the announcement of the ANZAC match next year. Starting to develop a profile for Ben.......................................... just a thought kiddies

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

loris wrote:Big Ben was the one sent to NZ with current captain Rooey for the announcement of the ANZAC match next year. Starting to develop a profile for Ben.......................................... just a thought kiddies
I know and it is rubbish.

Yey. We have a captain in waiting that struggles to excel in his primary position.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Should be a fresh face, said that since 2010.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Should be a fresh face, said that since 2010.
Candidates?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:[That is your opinion however it is blatantly wrong.

Hmmmm
McEvoy hitout averages by year..

2009: 8.6
2010: 10.8
2011: 22.6
2012: 25.3

And he has just turned 23. Keeping in mind that most ruckmen aren't half decent until 25 and don't peak until 28. There's nothing to worry about with McEvoy. This year he averaged more hitouts than both Gardiner and King at the same age.

andrewg
Club Player

Lenny
Roo
McEvoy

unique pick

Ralph Clark
Kosi (might give him an extra 5% so total would be around 6% all up.)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:If Roo does not want it for what ever reason.........Dempster for me.
+ 1.
Saints need to make a stand that the TEAM comes before the STAR.
Dempster is the ultimate team man.
Roo had a great run and was VERY unlucky not to win a flag. But no point looking backwards.
next season it will be 2013 - The Saints should NOT be a well paid retirement village for the 2009/10 runners-up. It should be a club for the next premiership tilt!
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 01 Oct 2012 6:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary
Club Player

We still have plenty of leadership at the club.

Roo will play another couple of years at least and is a brilliant leader.

Ben McEvoy is incredibly highly rated around the club for his leadership skills (source: current assistant coach) and a lot of the playing group think he is a future captain.

Your captain doesn't have to be a gun player - look at Tom Harley and Nick Maxwell, or Richie Vandenberg back in the day.

Leadership has nothing to do with footballing ability.

Although I happen to think McEvoy is a great young ruckman and will only keep improving.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
santazzi wrote:If Roo does not want it for what ever reason.........Dempster for me.
+ 1.
Saints need to make a stand that the TEAM comes before the STAR.
And remember what Watters said when there was all that talk about Goddard being offered the captaincy to make him stay, and Rooey annointing Goddard as a good choice to follow him as Captain.......................... Watters said " the captaincy has to be EARNED".

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Dal Santo!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Saints need to make a stand that the TEAM comes before the STAR.
While that's a nice notion, you also have to be a strong public speaker and good media performer. Dempster is a great, hard working player, but he is absolutely useless in front of a microphone.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:

Hmmmm

And he has just turned 23. Keeping in mind that most ruckmen aren't half decent until 25 and don't peak until 28. There's nothing to worry about with McEvoy. This year he averaged more hitouts than both Gardiner and King at the same age.
Agreed however I do not want a captain who is just coming into his own/halfway there.

I want the captain to already be a quality player.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Saints need to make a stand that the TEAM comes before the STAR.
While that's a nice notion, you also have to be a strong public speaker and good media performer. Dempster is a great, hard working player, but he is absolutely useless in front of a microphone.
I actually reckon he speaks pretty well.

Buckets
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:

Hmmmm

Don't let good facts get in the way of bagging Ben :wink:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
I actually reckon he speaks pretty well.
Did you happen to catch his performance at the B&F?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

No one has mentioned Fisher - but don't know if he's good with the microphone.

But honestly, people, come on. There is one man who is a team player, a gun, respected by the group, and is good with the microphone. He is the perfect captain, and he DOES jump out at you as an obvious choice for captain. Leigh Mathews thinks he should be captain. You know who I'm talking about. Lenny Hayes.

The ONLY thing that weighs against it is that it may be his last year. But I don't think it should matter. Your birth certificate shouldnt determine your role in the side.

And I think for Riewoldt, the relieving of the burdency on the captaincy would free him up and would impact positively on his on-field performance.

If he wants it, Lenny for Captain all the way.
Last edited by hungry for a premiership on Mon 01 Oct 2012 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:No one has mentioned Fisher - but don't know if he's good with the microphone.
Sings a good rendition of "The Gambler" with a mike. :shock: