Ruckman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Ruckman

Are we exaggerating our supposed ruck problem?

We have McEvoy who is clearly our number 1 ruck.

Stanley has proved that he can play in the forward line and rotate in the ruck to give Macca a rest.

And then there is Kosi, who seems to be in a sticky situation. There has been very little (if anything) said about Kosi so far this silly season, which is incredibly unusual. Whether or not he will be in our best 22 next year is debatable. But obviously he is another option as a backup ruckman.

Hickey has been suggested as a suitable pick up, I tend to agree with this as he is young and will develop in the future. He is 201cm so he's a genuine ruck. If we do sign him then I would be worried for Kosi as we would then have:
1) McEvoy
2) Stanley
3) Hickey
4) Kosi
5) Lever

Sainter for life.
Trixilver
Club Player

Re: Ruckman

Kosi is better suited sitting at FF or not playing at all. Even Blake was a far better option filling in for McEvoy.

busso mick
Club Player

I would suggest SaintSimmo you have a look at the replay of the Grand Final and assess the performance of Mike Pyke (a rugby convert) who knows how to get his hands on the ball, and had a huge bearing on the final result of the match. The only crash and bash big-bodied ruckman we have is McEvoy and we definitely need more support in that area. Young Hickey would be a good get to start with but I feel that we need someone else as well who can perform the Mike Pyke role for us.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think they want to recruit a ruckman that can actually deliver the ball to our advantage at stoppages. Kosi doesn't have the tank to be a ruckman & Lever is more a tall KPP & they want to develop Stanley to replace Roo when he goes. So really that leaves us with Macca who struggles to win the ruck taps against the weakest of opponents.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

David hille if cheap draft pick and salary cap wise

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:David hille if cheap draft pick and salary cap wise
Hmmm, we do have to think of sandy's list as well as the Saints list.....He could be all right at sandy...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Spud02
Club Player

Scotty has publicly stated his desire to add another ruckman to the list, however I think this will be a back up option should either Macca/Rhys go down, rather than a bigger name.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I think they want to recruit a ruckman that can actually deliver the ball to our advantage at stoppages. Kosi doesn't have the tank to be a ruckman & Lever is more a tall KPP & they want to develop Stanley to replace Roo when he goes. So really that leaves us with Macca who struggles to win the ruck taps against the weakest of opponents.

I agree. I think he averages about one hit out a quarter less than the best ruckmen. A whole hitout.

wally
Club Player

Hille seems to be injured alot, kosi as a sub come on and bash & crash for a quarter

SaintSimmo
Club Player

busso mick wrote:I would suggest SaintSimmo you have a look at the replay of the Grand Final and assess the performance of Mike Pyke (a rugby convert) who knows how to get his hands on the ball, and had a huge bearing on the final result of the match. The only crash and bash big-bodied ruckman we have is McEvoy and we definitely need more support in that area.
I agree with that however, just as an example lets say we pick up David Hille.

B: Simpkin, Recruit, Geary
HB: Gwilt, Fisher, Dempster
C: Siposs, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Wilkes, Riewoldt, Stanley
F: Schnieder, Hille, Milne
FOL: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven
Int: Armitage, Gilbert, Saad, Gram

Others: Milera, Dunnell, Curren, Ray, Kosi, Newnes, Markworth, Ross
Trade: Cripps? Ledger? Jones?
Retire: Blake?

The balance in the side just doesn't seem right to me (most likely just my selections) but surely McEvoy, Wilkes, Hille and Stanley can't all play in the same side.

Sainter for life.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

wally wrote:Hille seems to be injured alot, kosi as a sub come on and bash & crash for a quarter

TBH I can not remember the last time kosi put in an honest 4 quarter effort.

As a crash and bash he will either hurt himself or one of one of our own.

His time has been and gone.

Sandy bound until injury or a complete turn around in form for several weeks.

The mention of hille was to generate some thought and opinions.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

We're not picking up David Hille. We're just not.

busso mick
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:We're not picking up David Hille. We're just not.
If we pick up Hille, we are going down hill.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think McEvoy and Stanley are a perfectly fine ruck combination, our issue is ruck depth. It was plain to see at the start of the season that if McEvoy goes down, we're screwed. That would leave us with Stanley as the number one ruck (who didn't have the body for it) and two pinch hitters left as our only other options in Blake and Kosi.

Kosi started the year quite well as a forward and then had to spend time in the ruck which pretty much derailed his season. Watters has stated several times that they'd prefer not to have him ruck at all as his body isn't up to it. So Blake had to go into the ruck when he had been our best tall defender - it threw the team balance off badly and we were still getting flogged in the ruck.

We have one genuine ruck on the list, one part timer and two capable of pinch hitting.

Now the two grand finalists this year..

Sydney

Mumford, genuine ruck
Pyke, genuine ruck
Seaby, genuine ruck
White, pinch hitter
LRT, pinch hitter

Hawthorn

Bailey, genuine ruck
McCauley, genuine ruck
Hale, part timer
Roughead, part timer
Pattison, part timer
Grimely, developing ruck

Now like us, and like most teams, they had injuries to their ruckmen throughout the year. But they had the depth to maintain team balance and stay competitive in the middle. That's all we need. Our first choice combo is fine, we just need a big body or two who can get the job done in case of injuries.

villasaint
Club Player

Kosi is better suited to the vfl. We need another two ruck an. I think Peterson from north would be a good second ruck who can always play forward or back as well.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

we need another ruck option...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm surprised no one want jesse white, I thought he would be the type that would be shopped around.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:I think they want to recruit a ruckman that can actually deliver the ball to our advantage at stoppages. Kosi doesn't have the tank to be a ruckman & Lever is more a tall KPP & they want to develop Stanley to replace Roo when he goes. So really that leaves us with Macca who struggles to win the ruck taps against the weakest of opponents.

I agree. I think he averages about one hit out a quarter less than the best ruckmen. A whole hitout.
Yes and do they go to our advantage? Do they?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell