Pelchen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

On the Ball
Club Player

Pelchen

Quite ironic that Pelchen started working on free agency with the AFL about 10 years ago whilst he was at Port Adelaide. So now he has made his mark on the industry with one of 'his' players being the first big name to roll.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pelchen

Interesting and ironic. The point however regarding Chris Pelchen is how he can help us win a flag? FWIW I think Lyon going, and also to a degree BJ, and a new coach with a plan to build the football club into a competetive YOUNG side, makes for exciting times ahead for us.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I heard the Hawks ceo speaking on GF day and he was talking about the planning that went into the list they now have. they jumped early when they beat the cats but they had a genuine 5 year GF plan and a cohesive list management structure.

Pelchen has had experience in the field and should be able to see the big picture plan through. There will be some mistakes along the way but we have had a shocking run with draft picks, development and even getting in players from outside. Lyon got in Schnides and Dempster but pretty much since then every one else has been a fail. Steven and Armo were there for him.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I heard the Hawks ceo speaking on GF day and he was talking about the planning that went into the list they now have. they jumped early when they beat the cats but they had a genuine 5 year GF plan and a cohesive list management structure.
Does that mean 2013 is the 2nd year of our 5 year plan ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If I was to be honest, he makes me nervous.

I guess it's the fact we've handed over the keys....

I keep reminding myself he put together premiership sides, but he's had his fair share of boo-boos as well.

Seems in recent years more capable in picking up players from other clubs / mature age guys?

Doesn't appear to like tall defenders though.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

Zed wrote:
gringo wrote:I heard the Hawks ceo speaking on GF day and he was talking about the planning that went into the list they now have. they jumped early when they beat the cats but they had a genuine 5 year GF plan and a cohesive list management structure.
Does that mean 2013 is the 2nd year of our 5 year plan ?

id say 3rd and think losing lying was a maybe due to some reservations he had about the plan...

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If I was to be honest, he makes me nervous.

I keep reminding myself he put together premiership sides, but he's had his fair share of boo-boos as well.

Seems in recent years more capable in picking up players from other clubs / mature age guys?

I'm trying to hold my concerns until after the end of the trade period K. It has started off extremely sad, but let's judge him on the whole process when complete. I have a feeling in my gut that we may all be quite chuffed with who we get and the picks we end up with.

Think Saad and Milera for pretty much nothing.

I'm sure he likes tall defenders, but good ones don't grow on trees.

The thing is you entrust people to do the job on behalf of the club anyway. Getting people in specific roles seems sensible to me. Ross was a great match day coach but outside that he was a compromise.

GT the same, he had good qualities but they were stretched by overseeing to many roles with in the club. Professional clubs delegate roles out to people with solid experience and track records.

He seems to work well with Watters so far so just have to grit my teeth and hope he's got some skill. Ross Lyon is probably a better coach now than when he started and Pelchen might be better for losing quality players. Overall the club has taken the things that Collingwood and Hawthorn do and incorporated it into our system.

The incorporation of sandy into planning was like the Box Hill Hawks and the development and academy look straight out of the Pies. I think his tall defender thing is just because none were available. Not a prejudice, he doesn't seem to take players he doesn't intend to have on the list in 5 years.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He can't be by any worse than what we've had!

I think Finey on SEN said another high profile Saints player is being traded to secure Caddy and someone else from GC.

I'm thinking Joey will go. Just a gut feel.

I like the idea of losing a few top liners if it secures something in return.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Would that somone else be Tom Hickey perchance?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saintspremiers wrote:

I think Finey on SEN said another high profile Saints player is being traded to secure Caddy and someone else from GC.

Have heard a number of times that GC are into Raph Clarke for a role as a HF........him for Hickey?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ummm
joey just signed

so maybe faz or rapha?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:ummm
joey just signed

so maybe faz or rapha?
You'd think Rapha would be a better fit. Bit bigger, solid body, fits the age demographic they're lacking in, has some skills, and some deficiencies. I would like to see Raoh given an extended run up front for us, still reckon it's his natural position.

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup
agree TB
think he can kick a distance, can take a mark and has no probs going up second man in a contest so you know at the very least he'll bring it to ground
id like to keep him on the list myself

ahhhh trade time
always nervous but its always exciting to see who goes where

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still hearing Caddy is heading to the Cats?

linmarnic
Club Player

We have a true and tried professional heading up our list management. I don't think we ever had someone of Pelchen's ilk in a similar role before, so why don't we give him a chance. He has a plan/strategy and we need to trust in it. The club and Watters believe in it. Pelchen is not infallible naturally but so far he has done a good job overall.

Never give up
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

linmarnic wrote:We have a true and tried professional heading up our list management. I don't think we ever had someone of Pelchen's ilk in a similar role before, so why don't we give him a chance. He has a plan/strategy and we need to trust in it. The club and Watters believe in it. Pelchen is not infallible naturally but so far he has done a good job overall.
Ill say one thing - pelchgen wouldnt have signed those f*cking kosi and gram contracts 3 years ago. total albatrosses around our necks.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

matrix wrote:ummm
joey just signed

so maybe faz or rapha?
Just because he he resigned doesnt mean he cant be traded... :roll: :roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

really
wow
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

so why would you bother agreeing to terms and conditions two weeks out and then palm him off as soon as the trade window is open?

if this happens then god knows what the muppets are doing down there

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:really
wow

so why would you bother agreeing to terms and conditions two weeks out and then palm him off as soon as the trade window is open?

He is known for that kind of stuff though M.

I doubt it's Joey though.

Could he have contemplated trading Gilbert to the GC at some point?

Dunno, because the more I hear, the more I don't think Caddy is coming to the Saints anyhow.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
matrix wrote:really
wow

He is known for that kind of stuff though M.

I doubt it's Joey though.

Could he have contemplated trading Gilbert to the GC at some point?

Dunno, because the more I hear, the more I don't think Caddy is coming to the Saints anyhow.
SK - there's now three strong rumours about Caddy - one is he's DEFINITE to Carlton, one is he's DEFINITE to Geelong, and one is he's DEFINITELY not to Saints. Given the reliability of rumours in past trade periods, I would go out and buy the Caddy badge for your duffel coat now if I were you... :lol: :lol:

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

In the Pelican we trust!

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
SaintTom
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

I like the sound of it, tbh. Is this Finey talking as a speculator or Finey talking from something he's heard and therefore reporting?

Seriously, if we come out of this draft with Caddy, and to a lesser extent Hickey, it's been a successful offseason from a recruitment point of view.

Richter
SS Life Member

You know what SainterK, I really respect your balanced view! We are at risk of jumping on this guy as being our latest 'messiah'. However, a few things reassure me...

- firstly there appears to be a group approach being taken to these decisions... both Scotty and Pelchen have been out defending the Goddard decision (not to match).. and interestingly they mentioned a 'TPP (Total Player Payments) committee

- this also gels with the expanded football dept in general, in which the strategy is one of continual development and renewal

BJ leaving is sad, but it fits with the idea of development... i.e. get a pick, renew your list and put some $$ away for future free agents/trades and/or to address other needs

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:In the Pelican we trust!
The only problem with the Pelican is he comes with an enormous bill. Boom! Tish!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!