Free Agency For Delisted Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Free Agency For Delisted Players

Can someone explain to me how this will work, does it mean we can pick up a delisted player before the national draft ??

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free Agency For Delisted Players

providing he's not a Key defender...we don't want one

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
on the outer
Club Player

A player delisted by his club can between Nov 1 and Nov 13 be treated as a free agent and can go to the club of his choice, as he has been delisted, the club who did the delisting doesn't get any compensation.

If a player delists himself (that is the club still wants him but he wants to go elsewhere) like a Josh Toy, then he has to go into the preseason draft. This would have been the case with Cripps if the deal hadn't been done.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Excellent rule change. Much better than having to use a draft pick to pick up recycled trash.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Would we look at anyone? Cook? Rounds?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=104426

Article on Cook, there is a bit on perfect scores in the kicking test. Cook, as will as Terry Milera scored perfectly - didnt know that. Either way, I wonder what on earth went wrong between 2010 & now.

Strength through Loyalty
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Either way, I wonder what on earth went wrong between 2010 & now.
Played for Melbourne? :P

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:

haha Hardly a centre of excellence over the past few years. I was trying to put together a list of good to very good players Melbourne have lost over the last decade. I'll start with Jolly, Thompson, Bassett.

Strength through Loyalty
Sobraz
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

haha Hardly a centre of excellence over the past few years. I was trying to put together a list of good to very good players Melbourne have lost over the last decade. I'll start with Jolly, Thompson, Bassett.
Powell for us was servicable..

I gather your not including nature players like Bruce, McDonald..?!

Would look at Cook.. Petterd will go well somewhere..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have an idea. Lets draft players for the rest of the year and not get delisted free agency hacks. We have recruiters. Lets see if they have some skills.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I'm with Plugger66 on this one. Why would you want to pick someone up that cant get a game with a bottom club?

saint6709
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I'm with Plugger66 on this one. Why would you want to pick someone up that cant get a game with a bottom club?
You've answered your own question melbourne is a bottom club - thats not the players fault (although they are the ones blamed on match day) - there is opportunity to return good young players back toward their potential after being de railed by getting drafted into a poor club

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I'm with Plugger66 on this one. Why would you want to pick someone up that cant get a game with a bottom club?
You've answered your own question melbourne is a bottom club - thats not the players fault (although they are the ones blamed on match day) - there is opportunity to return good young players back toward their potential after being de railed by getting drafted into a poor club

Who were those players taken from us in 2000 and 2001 who shone once they let us?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Chances are we'll go for someone like Hartigan from the state leagues to play FB. If Cook is a better player, or a better prospect than anyone else, then honestly why not? He is still young, capable of playing straight away. His two knocks were attitude and pace. Mitch Brown has a knock on his pace and getting delisted could be what it takes to sort out that attitude.

I'm not saying yes yes yes, but if the recruiters see him as a quality choice befitting of what would be 44 then Im all for it. All good, just because a highly rated 196cm key position player who has elite kicking and reads the ball very very well in the air gets delisted by a cellar dweller in freefall after just two years of development after being pick 12, it doesn't mean we shouldn't at least consider it. Especially after his comments in the media, motivation comes from strange places and if thats what it takes to make it then its a maybe from me.

Strength through Loyalty
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Chances are we'll go for someone like Hartigan from the state leagues to play FB. If Cook is a better player, or a better prospect than anyone else, then honestly why not? He is still young, capable of playing straight away. His two knocks were attitude and pace. Mitch Brown has a knock on his pace and getting delisted could be what it takes to sort out that attitude.

I'm not saying yes yes yes, but if the recruiters see him as a quality choice befitting of what would be 44 then Im all for it. All good, just because a highly rated 196cm key position player who has elite kicking and reads the ball very very well in the air gets delisted by a cellar dweller in freefall after just two years of development after being pick 12, it doesn't mean we shouldn't at least consider it. Especially after his comments in the media, motivation comes from strange places and if thats what it takes to make it then its a maybe from me.
let's see what the Recruiters do on Draft day/night....

I'm sure they'll get someone in........

Watters will have told them he still wants a good sizedplayerdrafted for the role......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saint6709
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
St Ick wrote:Chances are we'll go for someone like Hartigan from the state leagues to play FB. If Cook is a better player, or a better prospect than anyone else, then honestly why not? He is still young, capable of playing straight away. His two knocks were attitude and pace. Mitch Brown has a knock on his pace and getting delisted could be what it takes to sort out that attitude.

Watters will have told them he still wants a good sizedplayerdrafted for the role......
Yes both you guys - think we will get in a key back prospect and it will be the player our recruiters think has the best chance of making it

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:

Although they'd need to make the decision on a delisted free agent prior to draft day/night (I think).

Strength through Loyalty
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:

Who were those players taken from us in 2000 and 2001 who shone once they let us?

Big Bad Bustling did alright for hisself.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Who were those players taken from us in 2000 and 2001 who shone once they let us?
Hall (already mentioned)
and the Wakelins did pretty well also.

Two premiership players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:

Funny I thought Hall could play before he left us. As could the Wakelins who are also mentioned. Who are the young guys who once they left us in those years who really improved because of us being a poor club back then.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Funny I thought Hall could play before he left us. As could the Wakelins who are also mentioned. Who are the young guys who once they left us in those years who really improved because of us being a poor club back then.
Joel Smith? Matthew Lappin?

Strength through Loyalty
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint6709 wrote:

Simon Buckley was delisted by Melbourne after finishing bottom in 2009. Was a handy pickup for the Pies.

Beau Wilkes was delisted after the Eagles finished bottom in 2010.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but 2009 and 2010 are more relevant than 2000.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I wonder if that means we can pick up Joel TIPPETT as a delisted free agent given that he has been delisted before now?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Any interest on our part in Mark Seeby? I know we paid a high price for Hickey but I wouldnt think an experienced big body would go astray for a couple of years while Hickey develops.

Might be too expensive cap wise though

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Geez Cook looks like a stick figure with those arms. What were the Demons pretending?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!