Nick Winmar to play the quater back role?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Nick Winmar to play the quater back role?

If he can step up to play half back I believe he's the perfect replacement for Gram and to a lesser extent BJ. Winmar has beuatiful footskills and has a very penertrating kick. If he can play across half back regulary this year he can take kick outs and be the bloke that delivers the ball out of the back half. He now has the size to compete on the lesser forwards he'd be matched on also so we can take advantage of his run and foot skills.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Nick Winmar to play the quater back role?

What I have seen of him, he moves really well and can certainly kick it, he just doesn't get enough of it. If he can get more of it, would be very handy.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:What I have seen of him, he moves really well and can certainly kick it, he just doesn't get enough of it. If he can get more of it, would be very handy.
He only has to get it 15 times a game in space to be very damaging though. Plus taking the kick ins where his disposal could really set us up and save Fish and Dal taking them.

saintjake
Club Player

Lewis Jetta Style?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Lewis Jetta Style?
Hasn't got the pace of Jetta or as attacking.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I thought Nick would be a player after his first year at Sandy but I doubt he could do that role. Doesnt do enough and is lazy.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:I thought Nick would be a player after his first year at Sandy but I doubt he could do that role. Doesnt do enough and is lazy.
From what you've seen though, does he have the tools to do it if his work ethic improved?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
quidnunc
Club Player

I think he would have to get it in space because he is easily knocked off his feet. Not ideal in the back half.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I thought Nick would be a player after his first year at Sandy but I doubt he could do that role. Doesnt do enough and is lazy.
From what you've seen though, does he have the tools to do it if his work ethic improved?

He is a good kick and has some pace. Just not sure he gets enough of the ball.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

If the back half was structured in such a way that Winmar was freed up and the ball was directed at him Im confident he'd get it enough to be damaging. Yarran only gets in 15-20 times a game.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Didn't realise Sandy Reserves were looking for a QB

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Lewis Jetta Style?
i just had a mental image of Lewis Jetta doing the Gangnam Style dance ... :oops:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Yes , I saw him play 3 times for sandy this year and he looked that standard . Can he go to the next level ! i doubt it but i hope he proves me wrong .

In red white and black from 73
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

If the back half was structured in such a way that Winmar was freed up and the ball was directed at him Im confident he'd get it enough to be damaging. Yarran only gets in 15-20 times a game.

Yarran is also fast so can break the lines.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I see more of Raph Clarke in Nick Winmar than any of the other players mentioned.

Except I don't think he'll be given such leeway. It's 2013 or bust for Nick.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintjake
Club Player

:D
stevie wrote:Didn't realise Sandy Reserves were looking for a QB

Kernal75
Club Player

I think Newnes may get first crack at that role next year. Played early on when Gram was not in the side and did ok for a first year player. Has good foot skills and can run......accordinmg to his draft profile. Not sure Winamr will make the grade unfortunately!!!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:I think Newnes may get first crack at that role next year. Played early on when Gram was not in the side and did ok for a first year player. Has good foot skills and can run......accordinmg to his draft profile. Not sure Winamr will make the grade unfortunately!!!
At this early stage Newnes is an outside mid/flanker however he's being groomed to be a genuine mid with the ability to win his own footy.

On Winmar, I'm not sure he has the mental toughness and ability to make it. He's got a lot of work to do if he is to remain on the list at the end of next season.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Winmar will need nothing short of an epiphany to become a serious AFL player. He has bucketloads of ability and athleticism and is the perfect height for a flanker/wingman, but he is genuinely soft and lazy. He's a serial 'dead fish' - one of those players usually found in local leagues who lie on the ground feeling sorry for themselves every time they cop a bump or solid tackle. And he just doesn't run hard enough, he doesn't have the mental toughness to push through the pain.

It was a mistake to sign him for two years, but it looks like Watters has accepted the situation and has decided to give him absolute hell over the pre season to see if they can get him to wake up and start putting in. I don't see any reason why he'll finally toughen up and start working hard now, but it is possible, although unlikely.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Winmar will need nothing short of an epiphany to become a serious AFL player. He has bucketloads of ability and athleticism and is the perfect height for a flanker/wingman, but he is genuinely soft and lazy. He's a serial 'dead fish' - one of those players usually found in local leagues who lie on the ground feeling sorry for themselves every time they cop a bump or solid tackle. And he just doesn't run hard enough, he doesn't have the mental toughness to push through the pain.
It was a mistake to sign him for two years, but it looks like Watters has accepted the situation and has decided to give him absolute hell over the pre season to see if they can get him to wake up and start putting in. I don't see any reason why he'll finally toughen up and start working hard now, but it is possible, although unlikely.
geeze dont hold back tell us how you really feel about the bloke ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I'd love to see Nick improve and become a real contributor, but as it stands, he'd be in the bottom four on our list, that's a long way from the best 22.

I think Adam Schneider is our Gram replacement. Providing his hamstrings still work.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I see more of Raph Clarke in Nick Winmar than any of the other players mentioned.

Except I don't think he'll be given such leeway. It's 2013 or bust for Nick.
Agree.

I'm surprised he's still on the list.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I've got no doubt the reason he was kept on the list is because of his foot skills. If he had average foot skills he would have been cut a lot quicker. I know I will get criticised for this but i also suspect that some in the club werent unhappy he was given an extra 2 year contract time because his name has some marketing value, and if he was good enough to play AFL it would generate some positive interest in the Saints - even though they are not father-son.

Minimum of 5 AFL games this year to hold his place on the list i would think. Good luck to him, i hope he makes it, but suspect he wont.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The QB role is a lot to ask of a guy who has played 2 games in the seniors, with none at all this year. I'd love to see the Winmar name on the team sheet again, but at the moment he seems a long way off from forcing his way into the 22, let alone being entrusted with such a crucial role. Those who have seen a bit of him at Sandy seem less than overwhelmed by his ability. Personally, I think cuddles might throw Schneider or Dal into that role, even if it robs the midfield.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

No need for people to tell me that Nicholas Winmar has so far been disappointing.

Or that on VFL form he's a long way off.

Or that it really looks like he's not going to make it.

I think his record thus far supports all that.

However it seems it's attitude and application more than ability that's holding him back. And with that there's always a chance the penny will drop.

Most seem to put his continued presence on the senior list down to contractual obligations rather than optimism on the part of the club. And as such, his spot on the list is sometimes seen, either consciously or subconsciously, as a blank.

But I would love it if a player such as Winmar came from nowhere and really showed something in 2013. People talk about us having some young talent and of adding to that young talent in a couple of weeks time. How good would it be to get a forgotten bloke like Nicholas onto that list of future stars?

I know I may be writing this through rose coloured contact lenses, but not all players develop at the same rate. Young Winmar, for whatever reason, has another 12 months in which to define his future at our club. And while I won't be making any rash predictions, or laying down any hard cash, I will hold out for the prospect of being pleasantly surprised.