Emma Quayles Draft Guide

Pureoctain

Emma Quayles Draft Guide

In her guide she says we are one of only a couple of clubs seriously considering Dayle Garlett, the other being Collingwood who could take him before us if they choose. Would be a good risk in my opinion, top ten on talent, skillful, fast midfielder, great linebreaker. A lot of people have discipline problems when they are young, once in the AFL system he could easily mature and be a huge steal.

Re: Emma Quayles Draft Guide

I would like to see us take him if he is available. A lot of skill there.

So what if he has off field problems?

Our club is riddled with them, he could join the club. It's water off a duck's back off field issues at St. Kilda, plus I lov emerging Aboriginal talent - we need more of it.

Worth the risk.

Pies have 3 picks before our first, and they are nearly all together. If he's still around, surely they will use one of these picks on him if they have any interest in him.

8856brother wrote:Pies have 3 picks before our first, and they are nearly all together. If he's still around, surely they will use one of these picks on him if they have any interest in him.
If there's only two clubs interested then he hasn't got much market value, so they may as well leave him for later. Personally I reckon we're dreaming if we try to "fix" a kid with off-field issues, especially with an early pick.

8856brother wrote:Pies have 3 picks before our first, and they are nearly all together. If he's still around, surely they will use one of these picks on him if they have any interest in him.
If there's only two clubs interested then he hasn't got much market value, so they may as well leave him for later. Personally I reckon we're dreaming if we try to "fix" a kid with off-field issues, especially with an early pick.

I totally disagree. His" off field issues" appear to only relate to being kicked out of the AIS/AFL academy. He says he's a changed man and has learned his lesson. This kid is worth giving the benefit of the doubt and well worth the punt if we get the chance which we probably won't. He has talent to burn not unlike Rioli. He would be a great get if we got him. In my view let's hope we do.

saintspremiers wrote:So what if he has off field problems?

Our club is riddled with them, he could join the club. It's water off a duck's back off field issues at St. Kilda, plus I lov emerging Aboriginal talent - we need more of it.

Worth the risk.
Apart from Cuz and McAdam, I'm failing to see any other successes. I'll be getting him due to the fact he is the next best available. I'd be upset if we got him due to the colour of his skin. If he is available I'd say we'll get him but the filth would nab him almost guaranteed. Best KPP and best mid/talent with our first two please. Garlett/Clurey/Logergan/Colquhoun thanks.

Trouble, baby sitter required

Can't say what I really think but maybe Matt Rendell could.

Scoop

damienc wrote:

I totally disagree. His" off field issues" appear to only relate to being kicked out of the AIS/AFL academy. He says he's a changed man and has learned his lesson. This kid is worth giving the benefit of the doubt and well worth the punt if we get the chance which we probably won't. He has talent to burn not unlike Rioli. He would be a great get if we got him. In my view let's hope we do.
Agree Damien.....would be a great get.....but I don't think he will get past Collingwood.

A lot of his so called íssues' have been overblown, which seems to be a deliberate ploy. Similar to Jack Darling a couple of years ago.....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!

We would be stupid not to pick Garlett if he's avail. With our picks, Garlett and perhaps Kennedy are the only two 'top 15' talented kids we may have the chance to pick. Both will likely slide for one reason or another and it's about time we took a risk. Skipping over Darling was a huge mistake a few years back. And please don't compare Garlett to say, Lovett, totally different. Garlett is a young fella and most make mistakes. I'd back Watters and Co. to mentor the young lad.

Lovett was/ is/ allegedly a total cretin.

Garlett is a kid who likes a drink & a smoke & probably has some bad influences around him. Has serious talent & that is what we need more than any specific need (some people are advocating taking Tanner Smith over Garlett!)

I'll be doing backflips if Garlett ends up at Seaford

Scoop

Animal Enclosure wrote:Lovett was/ is/ allegedly a total cretin.

Garlett is a kid who likes a drink & a smoke & probably has some bad influences around him. Has serious talent & that is what we need more than any specific need (some people are advocating taking Tanner Smith over Garlett!)

I'll be doing backflips if Garlett ends up at Seaford
If they were both available....then we could take Smith AND Garlett at 25/26......

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!

I'd say theres a few tall defenders ahead of Tanner Smith such as Clurey and Corr who both are a chance to be there at our pick. We've been rumoured to be the most interested in Clurey, who grew up a Saints supporter. He'd be my pick along with a Garlett / Kennedy / Lonergan - Realistic chance that one is avail at pic 25/26.

Garlett is a gun and is worth the risk.

Scoop

Old Mate wrote:I'd say theres a few tall defenders ahead of Tanner Smith such as Clurey and Corr who both are a chance to be there at our pick. We've been rumoured to be the most interested in Clurey, who grew up a Saints supporter. He'd be my pick along with a Garlett / Kennedy / Lonergan - Realistic chance that one is avail at pic 25/26.
If Clurey was available at # 25, then I would definitely take him....but I don't think he will last that long....

Our track record with Indigenous players is pretty bad
Nick Winmar
Raph Clarke
Andrew Lovett
Ross Tunta'somethingarather
Xavier Clarke
Alan Murray

We don't seem to be able to develop our indigenous players well.

Some succumb to injury problems making me think we don't have good info RE managing their bodies e.g. trying to make them too muscle bound

Others have attitude and behavioral problems that we don't seem to be able to curve

IIRC RT went home despite clearly having potential

I'm not against drafting Indigenous talent, but I think our club really needs to invest some money into this part of our FD so that we can support and manage the players we draft a bit better.

On Gartlett I'd say he's totally worth the risk but maybe not for us... seems like more risk there

Scoop wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I'd say theres a few tall defenders ahead of Tanner Smith such as Clurey and Corr who both are a chance to be there at our pick. We've been rumoured to be the most interested in Clurey, who grew up a Saints supporter. He'd be my pick along with a Garlett / Kennedy / Lonergan - Realistic chance that one is avail at pic 25/26.
If Clurey was available at # 25, then I would definitely take him....but I don't think he will last that long....
Just speculating/sharing what I've read. Clurey once was being considered by GWS at pick 12 but now it looks like they will pick Plowman at 3 so they'll have no need to pick another tall defender in Clurey. With most clubs looking at best avail (mainly mids in this draft) it seems that Clurey's draft range is around 17-25 and he may slide to us. The Pies seem a good fit however they seem more intent on two mids and a tall forward (Membrey / O'Brien). Freo seem intent on either Josh Simpson if he slides to them or a tall forward (they went hard for Tom Lee and rumoured to have offered pick 17 for him). Adelaide will likely pick O'Brien if he's avail being the local talent and a replacement for Tippett or Mason Wood who they're interested in. Brisbane probably our biggest threat to take Clurey although they are keen on Jaksch at pick 8. A lot needs to go our way but I dare say one of Clurely or Corr will be avail and I have them ahead of Smith who although is a good stopper is one dimensional and has awful skills. The other two offer a bit of rebound, skills and versatility.

skeptic wrote:On Gartlett I'd say he's totally worth the risk but maybe not for us... seems like more risk there
Apparently Saints and Hawks most interested in Garlett. Emma Quayle reckons he will be avail to us if we want him and we have picks before the Hawks. The Pies were pretty keen however have lost interest. Perhaps a good thing or a bad thing.

Scoop

Scoop wrote:
Just speculating/sharing what I've read. Clurey once was being considered by GWS at pick 12 but now it looks like they will pick Plowman at 3 so they'll have no need to pick another tall defender in Clurey. With most clubs looking at best avail (mainly mids in this draft) it seems that Clurey's draft range is around 17-25 and he may slide to us. The Pies seem a good fit however they seem more intent on two mids and a tall forward (Membrey / O'Brien). Freo seem intent on either Josh Simpson if he slides to them or a tall forward (they went hard for Tom Lee and rumoured to have offered pick 17 for him). Adelaide will likely pick O'Brien if he's avail being the local talent and a replacement for Tippett or Mason Wood who they're interested in. Brisbane probably our biggest threat to take Clurey although they are keen on Jaksch at pick 8. A lot needs to go our way but I dare say one of Clurely or Corr will be avail and I have them ahead of Smith who although is a good stopper is one dimensional and has awful skills. The other two offer a bit of rebound, skills and versatility.
I hope you're right Old Mate....on both Clurey and Corr....as I also would have both of them before Smith.
Last edited by Scoop on Sat 17 Nov 2012 8:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperDuper

Mason Shaw is an interesting one.... starred in 2011.... then Mitch Brown broke his jaw early in 2012, meaning he missed a lot of the season ... came back and continued kicking goals but missing so much footy affects you.... Has therefore slid a lot... But still may prove a very good choice at 25/26 and it seems from Emma's guide and other guides, he will be available...

According to Skeptic

"Our track record with Indigenous players is pretty bad
Nick Winmar
Raph Clarke
Andrew Lovett
Xavier Clarke
Alan Murray

We did very well with Nicky Winmar, Gilbert McAdam, Robert Muir, Russell Jeffries. Xavier played over a 100 games for us. We have not done too bad.

borderbarry wrote:According to Skeptic

Nick Winmar
Raph Clarke
Andrew Lovett
Xavier Clarke
Alan Murray

We did very well with Nicky Winmar, Gilbert McAdam, Robert Muir, Russell Jeffries. Xavier played over a 100 games for us. We have not done too bad.
Yeah..we excelled with Muir

Get Clurey.

Priority to Saints supporters.

Plus we need to fill the number 1 jumper.

bobmurray wrote:
borderbarry wrote:According to Skeptic

Nick Winmar
Raph Clarke
Andrew Lovett
Xavier Clarke
Alan Murray

Yeah..we excelled with Muir
Robbie Muir a great talent and knew how to deal with those who vilified him.
Pity the AFL was still in the dark ages over race.