How do you think Riewoldt will go in 2013?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

How do you think Riewoldt will go in 2013?

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbro ... da-saints/

Real transition year I feel for Nick. He can be a bit of a pariah, a Holden Caulfield type that not everyone will like - however he can still catch it with the best of them and I think 2013 will be a massive year for Nick. I'd bet bet a barley farm on it. If I had one.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Winmar
Club Player

Re: How do you think Riewoldt will go in 2013?

I think he'll kick 151 goals and get 36 Brownlow votes.

On a more serious note, he had a very good 2012 and I'd not expect him to start his decline yet, assuming he's fully fit. I love the bloke and can't wait to see him out there again.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Ryewoldt will have an excellent year as we now have much better depth in tall forwards, and so in every game he should be one of 3 forwards rather than having to be the main man, or rather the only man.

Stanley, Lee, Wilkes and Kosi should mean that throughout the year that 3 tall forwards can be played. Roo may even be able to be rested from some games if required..

With Milne, Schneider, Saad, Milera, TDL...and others we have the small support for them. Toss in Siposs and Markworth as mediums too.

2013 the forward line should be one of our strengths.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Quixote
SS Life Member

I honestly think if we get going next year, game-plan in place and all, there's only a couple of backs in the League could go with Nick. The rest of those phony defenders will be left wondering.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The key will be his knee. If it holds up we should see more of what he delivered in 2012 and any improvement may only come if him and the rest of the forwards continue to improve. If the newbies introduced in 2012 have second year blues or can't improve then all of the workload defaults back to Roo.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm expecting The Catcher in the Ryewoldt to be a solid 2013 campaign.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think Ryewoldt will have an excellent year as we now have much better depth in tall forwards, and so in every game he should be one of 3 forwards rather than having to be the main man, or rather the only man.

Stanley, Lee, Wilkes and Kosi should mean that throughout the year that 3 tall forwards can be played. Roo may even be able to be rested from some games if required..

With Milne, Schneider, Saad, Milera, TDL...and others we have the small support for them. Toss in Siposs and Markworth as mediums too.

2013 the forward line should be one of our strengths.
It would want to be considering we drafted Key forwards rather than Key backs

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Sainternist wrote:I'm expecting The Catcher in the Ryewoldt to be a solid 2013 campaign.
Yes.
“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rule."

Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it."

Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all right-I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game.”
I also like...
“All morons hate it when you call them a moron...”

“Sleep tight, ya morons!”
Thanks JD... 8-)

Oh, and I reckon Rooey's dodgey knee is the only current sign of a possible decline in his output. Knee holds up and he's still the best key forward going round!

Unfortunately, the knee seems to be more and more of an 'if'...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I'm expecting The Catcher in the Ryewoldt to be a solid 2013 campaign.
Yes.
“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rule."

Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it."

Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all right-I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game.”
I also like...
“All morons hate it when you call them a moron...”

“Sleep tight, ya morons!”
Thanks JD... 8-)

Oh, and I reckon Rooey's dodgey knee is the only current sign of a possible decline in his output. Knee holds up and he's still the best key forward going round!

Unfortunately, the knee seems to be more and more of an 'if'...?

JD Salinger..impressive.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No question if hes fit hes still a superstar.
But that knee is running out of cartilage i think.
Probaby his last year unless a miracle medical breakthrough happens.

mildurasaint
Club Player

Still reckon there's another chapter or two in the Nick Riewoldt story yet. He is far from done. Could still play out of the goalsquare effectively for a few more years yet and hope he does. He will only struggle if we don't put other quality players around him and allow him to be double teamed. In a good forward line he will continue to be a good player and demand a quality defender.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

60 goals = AA
75+ = we have come good again

Is he capable of this?

Damn straight

Harves Man
Club Player

mildurasaint wrote:Still reckon there's another chapter or two in the Nick Riewoldt story yet. He is far from done. Could still play out of the goalsquare effectively for a few more years yet and hope he does. He will only struggle if we don't put other quality players around him and allow him to be double teamed. In a good forward line he will continue to be a good player and demand a quality defender.
Yes, agree completely. The man's a champion, even with a dodgy knee, I reckon he will be great for at least a couple of years.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lyon nearly killed him and made him a laughing stock for a time by allowing the triple team.

But you never write off a champion, and, with others around to share the load, Nick was back to almost his old self last season.

So long as the body stands up, he'll be fine and may even improve. Marriage may agree with him also.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Lyon nearly killed him and made him a laughing stock for a time by allowing the triple team.

But you never write off a champion, and, with others around to share the load, Nick was back to almost his old self last season.

So long as the body stands up, he'll be fine and may even improve. Marriage may agree with him also.

I can honestly say he was never a laughing stock at all. By the way who should have played forward that didnt? Anyway on Nick, he will be slightly worse than last year because of age and injuries. Having talls wont matter unless they can play. Coaches from opposition sides dont respect average tall forwards.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Lyon nearly killed him and made him a laughing stock for a time by allowing the triple team.

I can honestly say he was never a laughing stock at all.
I don't know about that. Cast your mind back to 2011. The entire competition was dancing on his grave, prematurely I might ad.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mildurasaint wrote:Still reckon there's another chapter or two in the Nick Riewoldt story yet. He is far from done. Could still play out of the goalsquare effectively for a few more years yet and hope he does.
I can only remember one game where he played effectively from a deep forward position, and that was the game against Melbourne in 04 when he kicked 9 in Gehrig's absence. (Also we lost by 10 goals.) Generally when I've seen him play from deep it hasn't worked particularly well as he's more about running around the opposition defender than pushing and shoving. My theory is that he's done as soon as he can't outrun any more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I can honestly say he was never a laughing stock at all.
I don't know about that. Cast your mind back to 2011. The entire competition was dancing on his grave, prematurely I might ad.

I missed that completely. Just a few on here who seemed to know his medical history. Cant remember any stories on him in the papers saying he was gone or even on the radio. Still unsure what RL could have done to solve the forward problems as our drafting was terrible when we did pick forwards. Its good we arent as reliant on Rooy. Pity it hasnt helped the team win more.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Rooey should be given more of a wing position like Richo was in his last year IMO. Play one of kosi, Lee or wilkes as FF and a higher tall CHF - this might sound stupid but I would put Hickey there. He actually looked pretty good with his long goal kicking, can take a contested mark and is actually pretty average as a ruck man still. Saad out back of Rooey who should still demand the ball going through him and milney and Schnides playing out of the other side and also getting a run on ball at times to rest mids.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Roo has just extended his contract for another year (2014) and hopes to continue even after that. Fantastic news for the club, having a fantastic role model for Lee and White at the club for a few more years can only help their development

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I remember hearing Hayes credit watching Harvey train with how he learnt to prepare for AFL footy so roo would be an ideal role model for White and Lee BBMD. He is a great trainer and shows the sacrifices needed to be elite. Lee seems to have gone back to the WAFL and worked out what he needed to do to be a player. If Rooey can set a standard the sky is the limit for him. just needs to want it now.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:I can honestly say he was never a laughing stock at all...
I'm happy to believe you on that one Pluggs... but I'm now a bit worried about all your other statements on here...? :?
plugger66 wrote:Anyway on Nick, he will be slightly worse than last year because of age and injuries...
The only concession to the passing of time that I've noticed (from afar) re Nick is that infamous knee. Do you know of other issues Pluggs?

(Don't forget to 'honestly say' so that I can again have faith in your answer... :wink: )

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
I'm happy to believe you on that one Pluggs... but I'm now a bit worried about all your other statements on here...? :?
plugger66 wrote:Anyway on Nick, he will be slightly worse than last year because of age and injuries...
The only concession to the passing of time that I've noticed (from afar) re Nick is that infamous knee. Do you know of other issues Pluggs?

(Don't forget to 'honestly say' so that I can again have faith in your answer... :wink: )

I dishonestly say i have no knowledge of any other issues.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Assuming that we are still talking about Nick Riewoldt c/f Nick Ryewoldt..., can you share any of those issues with all of us Pluggs?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Assuming that we are still talking about Nick Riewoldt c/f Nick Ryewoldt..., can you share any of those issues with all of us Pluggs?[/quote]

I was joking. i havent got a clue of any injuries Nick has apart from what we all see and what is in the papers.