Au Revoir Dayle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Au Revoir Dayle

Just reflecting as you do I couldn't help but feel really sorry for Dayle Garlett. I learned today he's not been drafted by any AFL club. It is such a travesty. This kid has got talent to burn.

You only have to look at his highlights package to see just how good he is and could be. Not often you see a kid who has got the x factor and I reckon this young bloke has it in spades.

I had visions of him running around in a St Kilda jumper tearing up the opposition and putting the ball on Roo's chest time and time again. He is the sort of kid who would pull a crowd simply to watch what he can do with a footy.

He was definitely a top 10 draft pick maybe even a top five but here's the really sad part, no club thinks he is worth the risk end of story. At least for now.

Look I know what you are going to say. He only has himself to blame. And you are right. He got kicked out of the AIS footy academy and he clearly has a bad attitude.

But it just goes to show how wary clubs like St Kilda and others are of one bad apple destroying the fruits of a successful season.

And Saints supporters, of all people, know that only too well. The nightmare that was Andrew Lovett is a classic case in point. Great skill...great ability but lacking any kind of fundementals between the ears.

I really hope Dayle Garlett sees the upside in what has happened...knuckles down, trains hard, keeps his nose clean and dominates in the WAFL or better still comes to Melbourne and plays a season in the VFL.

Maybe then he can have another crack at the AFL in 2014. For all of his faults he has that star quality and it would be such a shame NOT to let him shine playing the greatest game in the world.
Last edited by damienc on Tue 11 Dec 2012 11:18pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Au Revoir Dayle

Saddens me too.
Just hope he can dominate WAFL next year and not get caught up in the 'bad boy' thing and then get picked up for 2014.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

In the past it has been the choice between cricket and footy, but in this case it might be the choice between gangsta and footy!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

if he is serious about playing AFL then he will get there no problem. 12 months in the WAFL, no booze and no disciplinary issues will have clubs climbing all over themselves to get to him. His future is completely up to him.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
St Igmata
Club Player

He wont ever play AFL.

His issues are way too serious.

It's not a case of go away concentrate on your footy for a season or two ...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if he was serious about playing footy for an afl side...then he would be
obviously thought that something else was more important

mehhh

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:His issues are way too serious.
What are they? I''ve never seen more than veiled allusions.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

St Igmata wrote:He wont ever play AFL.

His issues are way too serious.

It's not a case of go away concentrate on your footy for a season or two ...
Yeah, if he stays over there in WA, especially, it's hard to see him ever getting out of the habits that I've heard he's in, without something pretty major to jolt him out of them. Maybe being overlooked in these drafts will do it, but he would have been told months ago that if he didn't clean up his act no-one would draft him and he then came out and told everyone how he'd changed and so on, but he clearly hasn't (otherwise he'd be on an AFL list right now), so I wouldn't be betting that he'll clean up his act as a result of this, either, unless he finds the willpower to get his ass out of there and away from the influences over there and maybe moves over here, to play VFL, or something.

Pretty much everyone from his friends to his family have said that he needs to get out of WA and away from those he hangs around, so it will be interesting to see if he does it of his own volition, even though he hasn't been drafted to an interstate club now, as I think he was hoping he would. If he does that then he'll probably have a much better chance of turning things around.

Hopefully he does, for his own sake, first and foremost.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Waylon Manson, Dayle Garlett, Liam Jurrah... AFL is just too professional and too much at stake $ wise to take risks with recruiting.

I fear we wont ever see Garlett on a list.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
St Igmata wrote:His issues are way too serious.
What are they? I''ve never seen more than veiled allusions.

Id like to know too!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

A tiny, tiny % of the male population are born with the talent to play AFL at the highest level. Most, who are, grab the opportunity with both hands and have a real crack at making it. Of these guys only a minute % make it to be regular AFL players.

If Dale Garlett can't even get the chance to have a crack at any of 18 clubs he has no one to blame but himself.

Grow up Dale. There are thousands with less talant who would have cut of there left nacker to at least be given the chance.

No sympathy from me sorry.

Saintsational Legend

why feel sorry for an idiot.
if he's into drugs or stealing cars then someone needs to kick his arse and straighten him out
Obviously his family and friends aren't much of an influence.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

People are still wondering why noone picked him up? Well when you go out on 4am bender couple days before a draft pretty safe to assume noone will ever pick you!
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6534821485

A LEADERSHIP group decision on Monday night and a 4am bender in Fremantle last weekend combined to dash Perth teenager Dayle Garlett's hopes of being drafted by Essendon.

Garlett trained with the Bombers last week and, while his form did not overwhelm them, they were still considering him until his weekend exploits.

The Bombers were aware Garlett's return to Perth at the weekend would be a test of his dedication.

But Garlett, whose reputation has tarnished his exceptional talent, effectively sealed his fate with his night out on the town.

Essendon's leadership group was consulted and voted against Garlett being given a place on the list.