Reflections

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Reflections

I was doing a bit of reflecting the other night as you are want to do when there is no footy to watch or support.

And I got to thinking how sad it will be if our veteran stars finish their careers without ever knowing what it is like to win a Grand Final.

Take a guy like Lenny Hayes for example. He only knows one way to play the game of footy and it involves giving your all to the Saints for every second you are on the field.

Lenny is everything you want and expect from a champion. But realistically Lenny is in the absolute twilight of his career.

While I have no doubt he will be a briliiant contributor in 2013 this is probably going to be his swan song.

And he's not the only one whose career is coming to a close. Nick, Milny, Joey , Del. These guys are not getting any younger and the window of opportunity for being part of a premiership winning team is closing fast.

I know that recruiting plans are being put in place for where the club needs to be five years down the track but five years from now will be too late for these guys.

I think 2013 could be a pivotal moment in the club's history if stars like Lenny Hayes want something more to show from their career other than some dollars in the bank and tributes from loyal supporters.

Maybe it is something they need to think about.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reflections

given our history many will be in that group of never getting there
think Plugger , Barker , Winmar , Harvey , Loewe , Burke , Big Carl , Frawley , Burns ..... the list go's on and on

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
oh when the
Club Player

For the 140 yrs, and all the great players that have played
For us only 20 players have played in a Saints flag
Really a sad statistic when u reflect on it, still I love em.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:For the 140 yrs, and all the great players that have played
For us only 20 players have played in a Saints flag
Really a sad statistic when u reflect on it, still I love em.
to be fair we have also had some pretty average players in that 140 years aswell :wink:
i think it just go's to prove how special it would be to finally win one when you look back at who never got to... i reckon Big Carl would be the most gut wrenching being around the boys who finally did win one but missing out yourself .. thats gotta hurt

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

you Channeling Xavier Clarke Damien
Xavier Clarke‏@xclarke15

Two legends of the @stkildafc on the cover sports weekly 1996 after winning Ansett cup! pic.twitter.com/DF6kMy94

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
lloyd21
Club Player

Reflections

Yes unfortunately guys like Milney will have nightmares about the GF in 20 years time, what if I did not kick along the ground to Scarlett why did'nt I dive on the ball in Grand Final vs Pies...and be the hero all the omens said 44 .
Clint Jones why did I not man up on Macaffer with 3 minutes to go after Goddard goal instead panic run to centre half back and stand next to Fisher.

Schneider /Dempster missing sitters Vs Geelong 2009. (at least they won 1 with swans ) could have won 3 each ....Mc Qualter /Gram won't rest easy.

Have seen 1971 grand final lost after being 4 goals up last quarter. 1965 dominated ...game early best team all year ..1997 ...game should have all over half time.
2009 dominated should have been all over half time. 2010... dominated last 20 minutes only to throw it away

yes I have reflections....but we will win One, in fact will win more than 1, once we break the curse.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Yes unfortunately guys like Milney will have nightmares about the GF in 20 years time, what if I did not kick along the ground to Scarlett why did'nt I dive on the ball in Grand Final vs Pies...and be the hero all the omens said 44 .
Not to reopen old wounds, but he was nowhere near where that kick from Lenny landed, and I reckon he did exactly the right thing.

I reckon all the omens pointed to J Blake, to be honest. That long ball from the boundary from Montagna which ended up bobbling around a pack and then hit Blake in the shins. A scrubby little pick up and point would have had him viewed exactly like B Breen - but it was a pretty impossible one to get to, no shame in missing it.

felix
Club Player

It was Ross Lyons fault ha ha just to open up that old smelly decomposing can of worms

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:given our history many will be in that group of never getting there
think Plugger , Barker , Winmar , Harvey , Loewe , Burke , Big Carl , Frawley , Burns ..... the list go's on and on

carl only has himself to blame.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the OP.
The club cant afford to make many mistakes in the next 2 years.

Im thinking 2013 Retirements for:

Blakey, Milney, Len-dog & Kosi -

Webster and Lever are going to have to step it up several notches to avoid the chop and even the Ledge is probably on his last chance in 2013 (its a cruel game)

Then 2014 could be Joey, Rooey and Fishers final year.

I know hes only 28 - but I'm not sure Schneids will have super longevity in the game either.

Thats a heap of talent on the way out in the next 2 years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You guys need to have a good look in the mirror.

santazzi
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:You guys need to have a good look in the mirror.
I am wondering....what do you think they will see???

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Image
is that Ross Lyin in the mirror....

he just won't go away....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:given our history many will be in that group of never getting there

true point but at the same time it would be a bitter pill to swallow

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:Yes unfortunately guys like Milney will have nightmares about the GF in 20 years time, what if I did not kick along the ground to Scarlett why did'nt I dive on the ball in Grand Final vs Pies...and be the hero all the omens said 44 .
Not to reopen old wounds, but he was nowhere near where that kick from Lenny landed, and I reckon he did exactly the right thing.

I reckon all the omens pointed to J Blake, to be honest. That long ball from the boundary from Montagna which ended up bobbling around a pack and then hit Blake in the shins. A scrubby little pick up and point would have had him viewed exactly like B Breen - but it was a pretty impossible one to get to, no shame in missing it.

If Blake got a point that would have been bizarre.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
lloyd21
Club Player

Guys I am not blaming them.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

Darryl Peoples of Fitzroy....why would Carl snot him? A game we were winning easily against the lowly Roys at Brunswick St. I was there (very young), but remember a big roar in front of the Grandstand. Never saw it, but sounds like he was as guilty as sin. Carl was a great player, but did some pretty silly things.