Thoughts on Tommy Walsh by a Sydney Fan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts on Tommy Walsh by a Sydney Fan

over at Bigfooty...

Interesting read. Basically got Newnes, Markworth and Maister for him.

And some awesome students of the game on this site built up a straw man argument that Lyon was deliberately not playing him and this was the reason we lost the next Plugger/Loewe/Reiwoldt rolled into one. :roll: :roll:

All Lyons fault hey? Longmire must not be able to develop players either hey?

Lets face it, Walsh is below average and seems as though he has Buckleys of making it in AFL.

Time for the whiners and slanderers of Ross Lyon regarding Tommy Walsh to fess that they know SFA when it comes to development of players and the reasons why some do and some dont get selected.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/t ... sh.991346/

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thoughts on Tommy Walsh by a Sydney Fan

Yes it's a good laugh.

Wilkesy at pick 68 looks good value now.

But the reality of Hall going to Sydney plus AFL curroption unfairly landed them a flag in 2005.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:over at Bigfooty...

And some awesome students of the game on this site built up a straw man argument that Lyon was deliberately not playing him and this was the reason we lost the next Plugger/Loewe/Reiwoldt rolled into one. :roll: :roll:

Lets face it, Walsh is below average and seems as though he has Buckleys of making it in AFL.

Time for the whiners and slanderers of Ross Lyon regarding Tommy Walsh to fess that they know SFA when it comes to development of players and the reasons why some do and some dont get selected.

I would agree with you but its looks like the new coaches for Nick Heyne and Tom Lynch have had much more success than RL did with them.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm still reeling from the loss of Paul Cahill…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'm still reeling from the loss of Paul Cahill…

Better than Milney one poster actually said. Since then Milne has been AA twice and paul has gone to AA twice.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Better than Milney one poster actually said. Since then Milne has been AA twice and paul has gone to AA twice.
Where is TTT?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Say hi from us.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It's a big call, but there must have been more BS posted about Walsh on this forum than any other subject: GT, Ben Cousins, Luke Ball, Lyon after he quit us.

Archie Fraser was a CEO for whom I had very little time at all, but I used to think he had done the club a favour by uncovering Walsh. But even that laurel must now be denied him.

I still remember the sight of Matthew Drain (another guy for whom I had very little time) reassuring the media that it was ok that we'd given away our shirt to take an enormous punt on the unstable Andrew Lovett because Tommy Walsh was "as good as a first round draft pick"!

The club admin now is nothing special, but is a big improvement on those days. Thank goodness we had a top-drawer coach and some great players back then.

The playing list is a bit down now, but the coach looks ok. This season has an ok feel about it. If we can avoid major injuries.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:It's a big call, but there must have been more BS posted about Walsh on this forum than any other subject: GT, Ben Cousins, Luke Ball, Lyon after he quit us.

Archie Fraser was a CEO for whom I had very little time at all, but I used to think he had done the club a favour by uncovering Walsh. But even that laurel must now be denied him.

I still remember the sight of Matthew Drain (another guy for whom I had very little time) reassuring the media that it was ok that we'd given away our shirt to take an enormous punt on the unstable Andrew Lovett because Tommy Walsh was "as good as a first round draft pick"!

The club admin now is nothing special, but is a big improvement on those days. Thank goodness we had a top-drawer coach and some great players back then.

The playing list is a bit down now, but the coach looks ok. This season has an ok feel about it. If we can avoid major injuries.

good post

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

No one on this site said TW was the next Plugger - it's just that he may have been given 1 game (that's all) after he was playing some consistently good footy at the VFL level.
Tom Lynch was getting a lot of chances and failing, as he was too slow, etc..so one of those games - just one of those Tom Lynch games maybe ? - could have been given to TW, that's all.
You are the master of hyperbole if you're suggesting otherwise.
Why was RL (your hero) deliberately playing a perpetual failure in Tom Lynch ? .. what a poor judge of talent RL was - not to mention his failed recycled experiment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

No one on this site said TW was the next Plugger - it's just that he may have been given 1 game (that's all) after he was playing some consistently good footy at the VFL level.
Tom Lynch was getting a lot of chances and failing, as he was too slow, etc..so one of those games - just one of those Tom Lynch games maybe ? - could have been given to TW, that's all.
You are the master of hyperbole if you're suggesting otherwise.
Why was RL (your hero) deliberately playing a perpetual failure in Tom Lynch?
Well thats completely unfair. There was many on here who said he didnt get enough chances either. This is where it is impossible for one argument to be better than the other. Some think Lynch got to many chances and some think he didnt get enough. Who is right? And RL was 100% wrong either way.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh, because of his height and muscle, has been viewed as a key position prospect, but in gaelic football, he was a roving half forward/wing type. I wonder....... had he'd been given a chance to develop himself in that in of role in the AFL, he might just be a player now. We'll never know, though.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

He's had a single season at the Swans. Looks unlikely he'll be a gun and the Swans giving their back account no. to Tippett implies that they don't have enormous faith in him being a star prospect, but I wouldn't completely write him off yet.

Even though we look to have gotten the better of the deal now, Watters didn't want him to go either.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

and?

so what joffa?

i was upset when he went
from the couple of games i saw of sandy, he played well up forward and didnt look that bad down back
is it ok to be wrong in your world?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

asked Kevin Sheedy whether he thought Walsh would ever make it.
he reminded me that Stynes had to go back to Prahran after a couple of years at Melbourne before it all clicked for him.
also looking at the highlights from last weeks games I saw that Majak Daw(?), how many years has it taken him to come good?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Stupid topic needs cats IMO.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not popcorn?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That is for the two Tommy's as Newne's was for Lynch.

Deft trading by us, for regardless of whether or not they work for their new clubs (and they are struggling at present), the two Tommy's were going nowhere for us, whereas we are getting games from their replacements.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Tommy was thanked by John Longmire in his GF acceptance speech. That's about as good as it's going to get for TW.

We did really well out of the deal with Sydney.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Question marks remain over TW and TL, but I'm 100% certain that Saints are better off with SW as head coach - the time was right for a forward thinking teacher of our emerging leaders. RL will forever be basking in the glory of winning 19 games in a row at the St.K. Football Club

Also pretty sure after reading jb's posts, that he likes to antagonise and bully other posters and doesn't add much else

noob
Club Player

Didn't we get Dal Santo effectively for Hall? I regard that as a win.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Question marks remain over TW and TL, but I'm 100% certain that Saints are better off with SW as head coach - the time was right for a forward thinking teacher of our emerging leaders. RL will forever be basking in the glory of winning 19 games in a row at the St.K. Football Club

Also pretty sure after reading jb's posts, that he likes to antagonise and bully other posters and doesn't add much else

You seem to bask in Watters glory of winning what 12 games? In his entire career? Not consecutive.

I like Watters. I just think your logic is poor.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How did we get Newens?

Is this including Lynch?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Think we did very well out of the TW trade. But confused by the OP using a few swans supporters opinions as evidence to belittle a few saints supporters opinions. Not sure we got those three for TW either. So a strange post. Rather aggressive and contemptuous in its tone, and not definitive enough in itself to excuse either. Oh hold on, it's a JB post - all normal with the world then, carry on. troll, belittle, rant! :)

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "