Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kosi

Alright people are going to think this is completely unfair as we have only played 4 practice games and Kosi has only played 2 of those but I will say it anyway. Shoot me. Kosi will struggle to play a game in the seniors this year. Everything I say here is only on 3 quarters because I had to leave early. Happy for those who saw the whole game to tell me things changed in the last. Yesterday the club seemed to be saying Kosi you play forward just about all game and we will put the undersized Blake against Jamer for the game with the smallest breaks for Blake to rest. This meant Kosi was up forward for just about the whole game. I think Kosi touched the ball twice by 3 quarter time. Even got the ironical cheers when he took his first mark late in the third quarter. So people will say it is very early in the season. That is true as we havent even started the season but there are some on here that say Kosi plays better fresh so he should only play about 10 games the year. Well IMO that wont work as he is no where near ready for AFL footy and playing at Sandy is still a game of footy and wont keep you fresh.

Yesterday Lee was clearly better than him and he hasnt played much more footy this year than Kosi. Rooy whilst not doing a great deal was much better but that probably isnt fair because he is a freak. Meister was best of all forwards and we still have maybe fit Hickey and even Stanley in there somewhere even though he is likely to play back. Even young Jessie Hogan who is to young to play this year was much better than Kosi and he played one out at FF for the Dees to who were always on the back foot.

I know all this is very tough after 2 games but I am usually a players man even though I have occasionally said Kosi is struggling. I suppose what im saying is should Kosi play the first half of the year and if he is struggling should he retire with dignity or should he complete the season even if he knows he wont t get a game. Whatever happens I am happy for the Saints to pay him his full wages as he has been a great servant of the club and yes he has been well rewarded but I would still give him his full payment. The other question is if Kosi was to retire are you allowed to upgrade or must it be an injury. I know we have spots anyway but just interested if anyone knows.

Anyway I really hope i am proved wrong by Kosi as it will add to my ever increasing figure.

damienc
Club Player

Re: Kosi

plugger66 wrote:Alright people are going to think this is completely unfair as we have only played 4 practice games and Kosi has only played 2 of those but I will say it anyway. Shoot me. Kosi will struggle to play a game in the seniors this year. Everything I say here is only on 3 quarters because I had to leave early. Happy for those who saw the whole game to tell me things changed in the last. Yesterday the club seemed to be saying Kosi you play forward just about all game and we will put the undersized Blake against Jamer for the game with the smallest breaks for Blake to rest. This meant Kosi was up forward for just about the whole game. I think Kosi touched the ball twice by 3 quarter time. Even got the ironical cheers when he took his first mark late in the third quarter. So people will say it is very early in the season. That is true as we havent even started the season but there are some on here that say Kosi plays better fresh so he should only play about 10 games the year. Well IMO that wont work as he is no where near ready for AFL footy and playing at Sandy is still a game of footy and wont keep you fresh.

Yesterday Lee was clearly better than him and he hasnt played much more footy this year than Kosi. Rooy whilst not doing a great deal was much better but that probably isnt fair because he is a freak. Meister was best of all forwards and we still have maybe fit Hickey and even Stanley in there somewhere even though he is likely to play back. Even young Jessie Hogan who is to young to play this year was much better than Kosi and he played one out at FF for the Dees to who were always on the back foot.

I know all this is very tough after 2 games but I am usually a players man even though I have occasionally said Kosi is struggling. I suppose what im saying is should Kosi play the first half of the year and if he is struggling should he retire with dignity or should he complete the season even if he knows he wont t get a game. Whatever happens I am happy for the Saints to pay him his full wages as he has been a great servant of the club and yes he has been well rewarded but I would still give him his full payment. The other question is if Kosi was to retire are you allowed to upgrade or must it be an injury. I know we have spots anyway but just interested if anyone knows.

Anyway I really hope i am proved wrong by Kosi as it will add to my ever increasing figure.

Great post. Agree with you 100 percent. I also hope you are wrong about Kosi but deep down I suspect you are right. It's up to him to prove us all wrong. Let's hope he can. Like I said once before on this forum. it's time for him to deliver. If he can't Watters won't hesitate in dumping him especially now that he has other options.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Kosi's best footy was a long time ago now, and I would love a big season from him, but that's what I've been hoping at the start of the last few seasons with no joy. I think his senior playing days are numbered, especially with Maister and Lee in the wings as big mobile forwards

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Nothing new yesterday by the seems of things it was a typical Kosi game wasn't it?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Lee will need to improve his kicking for mine. He shanks the ball something awful. He kicked four behinds today on one of the worst defences in the league going by last year. And they were gettable ones too. Playing him at FF now=wasted opportunities.
Regarding his field kicking I also saw him kick the ball straight out of bounds on the full numerous times. Given he did get the ball, but for a bloke who played full forward he doesn't seem to be able to do the most rudimentary of skills, kick the footy in the direction he wants it to go. I fear for his senior opportunities if he can't correct this. Mind you Peter Hudson corrected Lockett's kicking style in 20 minutes at half time in tha t famous game against Carlton, so given a couple of weeks Lee could improve this.
The big plus is that he has natural ball awareness and gets a bit of it. Just needs to get confidence at Sandy.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 10 Mar 2013 8:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Lee will need to improve his kicking for mine. He shanks the ball something awful. He kicked four behinds today on one of the worst defences in the league going by last year. And they were gettable ones too. Playing him at FF now=wasted opportunities.
Regarding his field kicking I also saw him kick the ball straight out of bounds on the full numerous times. Given he did get the ball, but for a bloke who played full forward he doesn't seem to be able to do the most rudimentary of skills, kick the footy in the direction he wants it to go.

Most people seemed to think he was a good kick. It was very windy at Casey yesterday. He wont get hot northerly winds like that to often. A hell of a lot of players kicked it OOTF yesterday. Hope it was just a bad day kicking wise. At least he got it to see him kick poorly.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

He kicked 60 goals in the WAFL Premier so he was certainly a good kick there going by the evidence. But he certainly wasn't a good kick yesterday.
Hope he improves. People with far greater footy nous than I obviously have faith in him.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nothing new.

Kosi was done mid last season.

He's only still in the list due to his love of the club, contract and prob respect amongst the group.

He's basically a mentor to the kids like Kingy was in his final year

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why can't he just play it out...

If he gets picked he plays, if he doesn't he plays twos.... Like people have done for 150 years.

He will be a handy back up fwd/Ruckman.... Injuries happen

We lose Reiwoldt, McEvoy and Hickey for a couple of weeks.... Would White be a better option? No

I expect Kosi to play less than 6 games.... But that could still be important.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately, Kosi's best is behind him, the only pleasing aspect to his game yesterday was that when went into the ruck, he actually won some clean hit outs.
Think injuries through his career, especially earlier on when he should not have played with an injured back, have cruelled him.
Also think that supposedly legal shepherd from Gianseracusa, which now would rightfully get him 5 weeks, affected him more than we know.
He will be a handy back up, and who knows maybe using him sparlingly could be a real blessing, if we we're togo into the finals with him in a similar form he was in early last season might just be handy.
What we really need from him, and Beau, is not only to take their fair share of marks, but to crash packs to bring the ball loose to what I consider the mostt dangerous group of small forwards in the competition.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That's what I thought to but Plugger is saying his form has deteriorated to the point where he won't be able to do that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Unfortunately, Kosi's best is behind him, the only pleasing aspect to his game yesterday was that when went into the ruck, he actually won some clean hit outs.
Think injuries through his career, especially earlier on when he should not have played with an injured back, have cruelled him.
Also think that supposedly legal shepherd from Gianseracusa, which now would rightfully get him 5 weeks, affected him more than we know.
He will be a handy back up, and who knows maybe using him sparlingly could be a real blessing, if we we're togo into the finals with him in a similar form he was in early last season might just be handy.
What we really need from him, and Beau, is not only to take their fair share of marks, but to crash packs to bring the ball loose to what I consider the mostt dangerous group of small forwards in the competition.
The Gino incident was indeed really significant.

Wasn't there a rule called unduly rough play or the like?

I wish that little turd was nailed.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Unfortunately, Kosi's best is behind him, the only pleasing aspect to his game yesterday was that when went into the ruck, he actually won some clean hit outs.
The Gino incident was indeed really significant.

Wasn't there a rule called unduly rough play or the like?

I wish that little turd was nailed.

You do realise Kosi would still be effected, if it did have an effect, even if he got suspended. At the time there was a gray area which has been fixed up even though some said it was soft of the AFL to stop that type of bump. The AFL game is far from soft because of the size of the bodies these days and the pace.

And 3rd Gen, Kosi was no good yesterday after a weeks rest and he needs games to get into form so he cant have a rest anyway.

noob
Club Player

I think there were rumours about his contract if he play a certain amount of games (like gram) he was awarded another year on the contract.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

In the interest of balanced opinions i might ask Dools if he thinks Kosi deserves more AFL games....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:In the interest of balanced opinions i might ask Dools if he thinks Kosi deserves more AFL games....

Why not Bernard Shakey?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If he plays Round 1 (going on what he's shown so far) expect plenty of puzzled looks from St Kilda fans including me.

Others have gone past him, it's sad but true, and for him to play would deprive a player like Maister, Hickey or Lee of a spot.

Being a good clubman, I'd expect Kosi to see out the season at Sandringham and provide depth in the case of injury/suspension to (God forbid) McEvoy, Hickey or Blake.

He's been a good warhorse for the club, however, and should be treated with dignity.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He deserves 5 games gifted to him to get to 200

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:He deserves 5 games gifted to him to get to 200

I hope you are having a lend.

Junior
Club Player

On Kosi's performance yesterday he is a liability.

Slow was out bodied could not read the fall of the ball and is unable to provide any forward pressure whatsoever.

Really felt for him yesterday as it looked like the game had passed him by.

If picked for round one then there is no integrity in selection.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Plugger, given that you've been a good supporter of Kosi's over the journey this must have been a difficult thread to start. I've also been hoping that he might get to the point where he could at least be a regular 1st 22 player but with McEvoy and HIckey it doesn't look like his ruck work is needed, and with Lee and Maister it doesn't look like there's an automatic spot up forward.
Most likely scenario is that he'll play for Sandy unless there are injuries. Cant see any point in him retiring unless there is a rookie we want to promote which isn't the case at the moment.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:Plugger, given that you've been a good supporter of Kosi's over the journey this must have been a difficult thread to start. I've also been hoping that he might get to the point where he could at least be a regular 1st 22 player but with McEvoy and HIckey it doesn't look like his ruck work is needed, and with Lee and Maister it doesn't look like there's an automatic spot up forward.
Most likely scenario is that he'll play for Sandy unless there are injuries. Cant see any point in him retiring unless there is a rookie we want to promote which isn't the case at the moment.

The only reason I mentioned retiring is because it would seem a low point in your career if you were stuck at sandy the whole season with little or no chance of playing a senior game. He will probably kick 5 next week and be a lock for round one.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:He deserves 5 games gifted to him to get to 200

I hope you are having a lend.
no, Why not. He's good enough to play 5 games yhis year

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

AFL today you have to be able to contribute to all the team "plays" and to applying forward pressure of you are a forward.

* Kosi has not been able to do this for years.

Kosi is a "follower"....that is is his best position, BUT he is too short compared to his competitors and when rucking is about the most clueless player in the AFL when it comes to positioning. While Ben is still developing he is way in front of Kosi in all departments. The young Hickey also looks to be much better, and in ruckwork is in front of Kosi and probably Ben.

As a tall forward:
* Kosi is arguably the most accurate tall forward we have. But he does not get enough shots consequently enough over 4 quarters. Strong starts are complimented with non-existent finishing
* He has been good at crunching packs to provide opportunities for our smalls : However Beau does this equally well, but is way in front of Kosi in all the 1%-ers and in applying forward pressure. Beau is also much better when the ball hits the deck.
* Kosi "used" to be a handy "pack" marker where he floated into a pack. If he did not mark, it split to our smalls. however Kosi now marks it less, and also gets to the contest less.
* As in the ruck, bodywise Kosi is clueless, and even smaller opponents can out-position him with ease. Beau is far better.

So that just leaves Kosi with his good kicking, and that he can provide a chop-out in the ruck. But do we really want to now play a guy essentially just to relieve our 1st ruck for a few minutes a quarter when for the rest of the quarter we now have at least one much superior option in Beau?

Lee has a big upside..and so when Beau or Roo are out injured one would think that you would play him in front of Kosi....or play both of Ben and Hickey.
Stanley shapes as the ideal 3rd bi forward due to his speed and agility and is more than capable in the ruck. Stanley may play as the second tall defender after Sam this year though.

If you want to play 3 big forwards at once, then having Kosi as one of them, is not good when you have athletically much better players.

So yes I agree with the OP, one would think that Kosi would only play this year if we have several players out suspended/injured.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
andrewg
Club Player

agree totally

I think he will retire before seasons end.
Master
Lee
ahead of him
S White might even be a better pick based on reports of where he is at as well.