What does everyone see in Newnes?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

What does everyone see in Newnes?

Every thread seems to have someone talking him up. Of the few games I've seen him play he's looked pretty ordinary. About what you'd expect of someone who's played a couple of games.

I fear he's been nominated as the next messiah so let's hope he turns out better than Tommy Walsh!

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: What does everyone see in Newnes?

He's got two arms and two legs. That's where we are at the moment. Actually, he might be good. At least he can kick, which is an improvement on 50% of the current team.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Every thread seems to have someone talking him up. Of the few games I've seen him play he's looked pretty ordinary. About what you'd expect of someone who's played a couple of games.

I fear he's been nominated as the next messiah so let's hope he turns out better than Tommy Walsh!

He's played seven games, which makes him seven games better than Tommy Walsh. If you've ever been to a game he's played in you won't notice him, but then you'll find he had about twenty possessions, and most of those possessions were effective.
Have a look at him next time he plays, you may be surprised!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
battye wrote:Every thread seems to have someone talking him up. Of the few games I've seen him play he's looked pretty ordinary. About what you'd expect of someone who's played a couple of games.

He's played seven games, which makes him seven games better than Tommy Walsh. If you've ever been to a game he's played in you won't notice him, but then you'll find he had about twenty possessions, and most of those possessions were effective.
Have a look at him next time he plays, you may be surprised!
Yes !
his first couple of games included allot of poor disposals , his games this year he looks more composed and his ball use has been excellent !
much better than seasoned campaigners like gilbo and cj .

In red white and black from 73
battye
Saintsational Legend

Just looked at his stats, he's never got close to 20 touches besides a career high 18 against Richmond... so still not convinced.
Good disposal should be expected for AFL level players. I think we've lost sight of that because we are used to the likes of Jones butchering it!

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
gringo
Saintsational Legend

His worst game last year was against Richmond where they tried to intimidate him off the ball. Tyrone Vickery who is a ruckman kept siding up to him giving him a spray and pretending he was going to punch in the head- he just stood there and kept at his job. Even though he leaked a couple of goals he kept his composure. All the rest of his games have been solid if not spectacular.

That was until he played last week and spent time getting the ball rather than defending, he kicked goals and gathered plenty of ball early. Everything points to a quick upward trajectory and the coaches obviously believe he's got something as he's played more than a lot of second year players last year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:His worst game last year was against Richmond where they tried to intimidate him off the ball. Tyrone Vickery who is a ruckman kept siding up to him giving him a spray and pretending he was going to punch in the head- he just stood there and kept at his job. Even though he leaked a couple of goals he kept his composure. All the rest of his games have been solid if not spectacular.

That was until he played last week and spent time getting the ball rather than defending, he kicked goals and gathered plenty of ball early. Everything points to a quick upward trajectory and the coaches obviously believe he's got something as he's played more than a lot of second year players last year.
true...the club talks him up too...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

He has shown some promise & poise, pretty early on though…

What are you expecting from a sub 10 game player?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:He has shown some promise & poise, pretty early on though…

What are you expecting from a sub 10 game player?
+1

as well as some clean disposal.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Apart from good awareness, composure, clean disposal, the ability to find the ball and a healthy dose of courage, I don't see much to get excited about. Oh, I forgot, there are a couple of people at the club who believe he's already showing plenty of leadership potential. Apart from all that, he's crap.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Apart from good awareness, composure, clean disposal, the ability to find the ball and a healthy dose of courage, I don't see much to get excited about. Oh, I forgot, there are a couple of people at the club who believe he's already showing plenty of leadership potential. Apart from all that, he's crap.

And multi faceted because he can play as a mid back or forward. Hyped up rubbish based on all that. The fact that he was one of the kids TAC futurestars focused on was just a nepotistic attempt to bump his value up.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:His worst game last year was against Richmond where they tried to intimidate him off the ball. Tyrone Vickery who is a ruckman kept siding up to him giving him a spray and pretending he was going to punch in the head- he just stood there and kept at his job. Even though he leaked a couple of goals he kept his composure. All the rest of his games have been solid if not spectacular.

Was that the game he played on Jake King who did nothing?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Was that the game he played on Jake King who did nothing?

I think so- I was at the game but just re read the earlier posts and it was statistically his best game. I just have this memory of him and Simpkin getting too far from goal and letting Jack R out the back for a cheap goal. Obviously he was better than I imagined that night.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yep he shows a lot of attributes to suggest he will have a long AFL career. Hopefully he becomes an A grader cos we need a few to step up.

I reckon his worst game was when he tried and failed to tag Toby Greene. He was taught a lesson that day.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

A bit of ability, a great attitude and plenty of promise.

Old Mate wrote:Yep he shows a lot of attributes to suggest he will have a long AFL career. Hopefully he becomes an A grader cos we need a few to step up.

I reckon his worst game was when he tried and failed to tag Toby Greene. He was taught a lesson that day.

Toby Greene will do that to plenty in the next 10 years. He is so Ben Cousins like it's bizarre.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He'll be a good player

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:He'll be a good player
+1 here

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Yep he shows a lot of attributes to suggest he will have a long AFL career. Hopefully he becomes an A grader cos we need a few to step up.

Toby Greene will do that to plenty in the next 10 years. He is so Ben Cousins like it's bizarre.
Fo sho. I got the impression Scotty put Newnes on Greene for the learning experience of how to win the hard ball. If there was a knock on Newnes as a junior it was that he lacked an inside game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:We are used to the likes of Jones butchering it!
Yes, but you've got to be able to get the pill in the first place. I'm not saying Newnes can't ... in fact I think he will be a very good player ... but CJ and guys like Gilbert definitely can.

The perfect footballer would have the ball on a string and never butcher it, but there's not too many of them around.

Generally it's a trade-off unless you're lucky enough to find a Dal Santo-type who goes okay in both areas.

groupie1
Club Player

stinger wrote:

true...the club talks him up too...
I think another thing we like is he wants the ball, enjoys the contest. Silly as it sounds, those things help young blokes rise faster.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Is that just ON field? Or ON & OFF field? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Back on Topic;

I like what I've seen from Jack Newnes so far. A good idea might be for us to support the guy and hope that he takes the next step in 2013. We need him and a number of other younger players to step up if we are to improve our ladder position !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Will be a player.

Like Sippa he has excellent disposal skills.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
noob
Club Player

A young boy trying to be a young man!