Scott Watters GIFTED

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Scott Watters GIFTED

Not sure if anyone else heard Dermot Brereton on SEN today but he was discussing how the "art" of coaching is slowly dying due to statistics and modern technology. He was saying that some coaches struggled to get a 'feel' for the game these days and relied heavily on stats.

He then went on to say that he was great mates with Scotty Watters and that Scotty had a gift for profiling players. He said that Watters can look at a player and in a very short time work out what he can and can't do as a footballer and has an amazing ability to know exactly what the skill set was of each player and what that skill set can bring to his team.

Thought it was a great insight. Might say a lot about the plays he has let go but also about the players he has brought to the club.

Also gives me a bit more confidence in moving forward with our rebuild.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott Watters GIFTED

I heard it.

Scared me silly - Brereton also backed Ayres as a great AFL coach...complete spud.

Dont rate anything that drop kick has to say.

“Yeah….nah””
andrewg
Club Player

Ayres did very well coaching at a VFL level. Not the worst coach ever.

I don't know Brereton can be pretty good to listen to. At least he has an opinion.

Robbo is my absolute favourite though

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Ayres did very well coaching at a VFL level. Not the worst coach ever.

I don't know Brereton can be pretty good to listen to. At least he has an opinion.

Robbo is my absolute favourite though
At AFL reckon he put Geelong back...

Dermutt does have an opinion.

Robbo is retarded.

“Yeah….nah””
andrewg
Club Player

Should I mention my respect for Caros opinions ;)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Should I mention my respect for Caros opinions ;)
Its a free forum.

Can I mention my disdain?

“Yeah….nah””
andrewg
Club Player

:)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Dermie is actually alright....he just doesnt know when to shut up....he starts ranting, talking shite...I reckon he's drug farked.

SAAD
Club Player

Dermie...I remember after our QF win over the Pies in 09 where Rooey dominated when I read an article the next day saying StKilda simply won't win the grand final because we are StKilda...that was all...has still stuck with me so I hope one day his mate Watters can take us to the promise land and I'll be calling up Dermie on SEN and saying a big F### you botox freak!

noob
Club Player

Ross Lyon was all about the tactics. So who's better.

Vazelos
Club Player

Its true Brereton has that thing that a few people have about us due to our our history & the obvious lack of Premiership success. Put Sheedy in that basket as well. I am a believer Hird inherited that complete hatred of losing to us from his mentor, remember when he smashed the umpires after losing to us & got in a whole heap of trouble.

Putting that aside Brereton can be extremely astute in certain areas ( who recalls him calling the fact Lyon was leaving us post 2011 Sydney finals loss) as he was leading the team off the ground?!!
He is a great mate of Watters & absolutely rates him.

We havent had the great draft picks recently & we had some horror years of drafting in the late noughties yet last year we pick up Saad & Milera, it is fair to say both are great pick ups. It is not just picking a good player but the right type of player to get that perfect mix you need to have an effective balanced team. I will be looking closely to see how this season's recruits go & which one can break in to the best 22 if any.

Dont forget many teams who have had a sustained time at the top have gone into the wilderness for years. eg Essendon, Port Power, Brisbane Lions.
They all won Premierships so their era was fulfilled.
Watters has had a huge task to take over from the Thomas/Lyon era & is doing an excellent job thus far.
His task is not an easy one.
Look at Hird & Malthouse who have taken on teams & timed their run at the start of the upward curve, Watters has the opposite.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SAAD wrote:Dermie...I remember after our QF win over the Pies in 09 where Rooey dominated when I read an article the next day saying StKilda simply won't win the grand final because we are StKilda...that was all...has still stuck with me so I hope one day his mate Watters can take us to the promise land and I'll be calling up Dermie on SEN and saying a big F### you botox freak!
Well he wasn't wrong, unfortunately. :(

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

All that really matters is:

Are we happy with our coach?

Are the players developing under him?

Everyone else's opinions are interesting, and although Dermott goes on a bit at times, I'd rate his opinion over many others, especially turds like Damien Barrett and that bloated bird brain Hutchy.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

SAAD wrote:Dermie...I remember after our QF win over the Pies in 09 where Rooey dominated when I read an article the next day saying StKilda simply won't win the grand final because we are StKilda...that was all...has still stuck with me so I hope one day his mate Watters can take us to the promise land and I'll be calling up Dermie on SEN and saying a big F### you botox freak!
WHere is that like button, so agree

Qld Saints Supporter Group
stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: :D :D :D :D :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

I'll say one about Dermie: he at least has some unique thoughts and opinions unlike a lot of the media 'experts' who churn out the same stats and perspectives.

andrewg
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I'll say one about Dermie: he at least has some unique thoughts and opinions unlike a lot of the media 'experts' who churn out the same stats and perspectives.
Agree with this totally

Which is better? A coach that has a feel for the game and intuition about his players or a very good statistics/tactics coach?

I think it depends where your list is at, would be great to have someone that can do both.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

andrewg wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I'll say one about Dermie: he at least has some unique thoughts and opinions unlike a lot of the media 'experts' who churn out the same stats and perspectives.
Agree with this totally
about t
Which is better? A coach that has a feel for the game and intuition ab,out his players or a very good statistics/tactics coach?

I think it depends where your list is at, would be great to have someone that can do both.
Totally agree.

Unlike soooo many of the commentators (no names needed), Dermie really knows his stuff, and actually is prepared to state an opinion.

Classic example of compare and contrast... having to listen to Micky Milkshake arrogantly crapping on about 'grown men and caressing', after Thursday's over hype-fest between two over hyped teams, that battled to the death, to see who was better at losing a game of footy. :roll: I sure hope Micky Meltdown's return to coaching is short-lived... :x

Back to Dermot. I remember when he first made his comment in late 2009 re his only concern about St Kilda winning the flag... was our history. He also said that he was apologetic to his many St Kilda supporting mates about that, but his fears were genuine. I thought fair enough... (They still are... but that will be changed... sooner than people think! :twisted: )

So I always like hearing Dermot's assessments on footy... but I do concede that one does have to do a lot of listening. :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
MrCordz
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I heard it.

Scared me silly - Brereton also backed Ayres as a great AFL coach...complete spud.

Dont rate anything that drop kick has to say.
I'm always scared when dermott backs one of ours :|

Humbly St. Kilda
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I find Dermie to be a genuine lover of the game and his opinions at times can annoy me but I can't help liking the guy, though he CAN mangle the English language like no other! ...except perhaps Tim Watson! ("unrelentlessly" springs to mind) I enjoy listening to them both.
As far as Scott Watters is concerned; I liked the guy from his very first press conference, liked his humility and straightforwardness (I got that from Dernie's dictionary :wink: :lol: ) he is unbendingly (thanks again Dermie!) committed to building the side into a winning unit. I personally think the project is well on track and COULD yield success a lot quicker than we dared hope for!
GO SAINTS!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
jays
Club Player

well i hope scotty does real well

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

All coaches have their preferences with players (some say :favorites"), and probably in large part is as they value criteria differently.

Let us hope that SW is better than most in identifying, and then in extracting unrealised potential.

But let us also not forget that Pelchen is the one calling the shots now on who is, or is not on the list.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He isn't gifted in reading people if dermie is his bestie ;)

defacto
Club Player

doubt watters all you like, but i saw it first hand over here in the west.

the bloke knows how to coach. give him time, he'll get us there

deadman walking
Club Player

should be sacked along with jones and gilbert