Who should not play against the Tigers?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Who should not play against the Tigers?

The effort of TDL last night, one whole quarter without touching the ball, yet he was in quite a few contests and lost every one of them, should ensure he does not get another game for a while. He can make way for Schneider.
Saad's effort was poor too. Montagna in his place.
Newnes looked slow at times. Did not get into the play enough. I would prefer Wright.
Hickey was not convincing. Kosi a chance .
And can we afford to carry Gilbert all season? He would go if any of Dempster, Fisher, or Simpkin are fit.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who should not play against the Tigers?

depends on who is fit that can come in

if chips demps joey and schneides all come in thats some decent quality right there
so gee hard to tell who is going out

tdl maybe, hickey but can big boy go all game against maric and vickory?
milne even
did f*** all lol

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Montagna will come in and if Fisher, Schneider and Dempster are fit they will play. Can't see too many more changes than that.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I would keep Saad and Hickey in.

CJ and TDL out.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Middo
Club Player

I would say Roberton , TDL , Gilbert & Jones are all under the pump ...

Jones - Joey
TDL - Schneider
Roberton - Fisher
Gilbert - Dempster

Hickey to stay.....going backwards bringing in Kosi unless it's for injury would prefer Tom Lee.
Newnes to stay along with Sadd as think Watters will give these guys a chance on the big Friday night gig to make amends for the Suns game.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

If Fisher comes in I think it will be at the expense of Blake.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Out Hickey, TDL, CJ, Blake

In Fisher, Dempster, Montagna, Schnieder

We were too tall this week, the second ruckmen has to be able to genuinely play forward.

Still feel as though there are too many small forwards in my ins/outs, Milera did well, but Saad & Milne would only get a game on reputation this week, they were both terrible.

Ledger might be worth a shot too, we are desperate for mids aren't we?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Newnes was bumped off the ball to easily, CJ is a one dimensional player, TDL will probably go, though he wasn't the only bad player in the last quarter, he had a lot of mates.
As someone says, depends on whose available, Roberton did all right, far from the worse, Blake will make way for Fisher Newnes for Simpkin. TDL or Jones for Montagna as Joey can both tag and be creative, plus he had a really good pre season.
What worries me most is what playing in those conditions has taken out of the players.
If it comes down to fitness in the end, we will be at a severe disadvantage.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Newnes was bumped off the ball to easily, CJ is a one dimensional player, TDL will probably go, though he wasn't the only bad player in the last quarter, he had a lot of mates.
As someone says, depends on whose available, Roberton did all right, far from the worse, Blake will make way for Fisher Newnes for Simpkin. TDL or Jones for Montagna as Joey can both tag and be creative, plus he had a really good pre season.
What worries me most is what playing in those conditions has taken out of the players.
If it comes down to fitness in the end, we will be at a severe disadvantage.

Newnes is more of a runner though. No good last night but we lack run as it is. Not sure simpkin provides much. For all the changes we can make only Fisher in the backline and joey on the ball add run. schneider could if he was really fit but i dont think he is at the moment.

older saint
SS Life Member

Fitness a key here, found out last nioght with underdone players ( i hope this is why) - Hayes, Roo , Stanley seemed lacking normal punch for the whole game - not bad players but in and out of the game.

Out : TDL
In Monty

IF Fit : Fisher and Demspter automatic in

Simpkins - reserves needs game time

Out : Blake, maybe Newness although like to see him get game time

matrix
Saintsational Legend

anyone know if schneides is playing in the magoos this weekend?
has he played, is playing, resting?

whats his status atm?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:anyone know if schneides is playing in the magoos this weekend?
has he played, is playing, resting?

whats his status atm?

Played friday. Did well according to someone at the game.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wonder if theres enough run in the legs

surely not put on as sub next week :?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saad has now played 17 games. Can we please understand that we need to develop our next generation players now, and not expect players with less than 50 games to be at their best every game. :idea: I think we saw enough last year to know that he can be a good long-term player for us. If he has several shockers in a row, then yes then drop him back.

We have to play our most likely next generation players.

ie Stanley (22games). May be up and down. But let's get a season into him. Sippo 17 games etc etc.

With the newer players like Wright...let's rotate them through to give them a taste, and work out who has a future and who has not.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 31 Mar 2013 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

What's glaringly obvious is our abundance (too many) of small forwards and lack of midfield rotations. Joey to come in for TDL and Ledger/Ross/Wright to be given games on a rotational basis. I suspect after the first month Watters and Co. will work out that this is a development year. Give Ross, Ledger and Wright 3-4 game blocks, and not necessarily at the same time.

In terms of our defence, they did quite well considering how often the ball was being banged in there. Gwilt and Stanley were solid down back. Fisher and Dempster the obvious inclusions but we need to put games into Simpkin, being a development year we need to get games into him (like Stanley down back). Blake to make way.

Our forward line tall's can't be blamed last night, given the poor delivery. I reckon we persevere with Roo and Maister and look at dropping a ruck for Lee. Maister can give a chop out in the ruck. Give Lee some time to show something.

saint58
Club Player

The hole team!Sorry iam really pissed and sick of this after 45 years of heartace.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fisher, Schnieder, Dempster, Montagna,

Out
Ray, TDL, Blake, Newnes

Close
Simpkin, Wright, Lee

Jury out on what the better combination is

Maister, Reiwoldt, Hickey
Kosi, Lee, Riewoldt
Stanley, Maister, Riewoldt
Stanley, Lee, Reiwoldt

Second Ruck
Hickey, Kosi, Blake, Stanley????

loris
Saintsational Legend

Fisher, Dempster, Scheidner, Simpkins and Joey all sound like wonderful inclusions to have....................... but wait a minute folks, all coming back for the same match, could be a bit iffy.

The only one I would have confidence being able to run out the game would be Joey as he had plenty of game time in NAB matches.

Fisher, Dempster, Simpkins with their limited game time of late, would be a backline waiting to blow up IMHO, maybe gamble on a couple of them being able to last out a game but not all three, to be included together.

And Scheids............... whilst we need his skills, his endurance has never been a plus. I'd like to see him included forward, but not if Fisher, Dempster and Simpkins are all included..................... too many with not enough game time............. too risky against the Tigers.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint58 wrote:The hole team!Sorry iam really pissed and sick of this after 45 years of heartace.
You'd think after 45 years they'd be able to treat that condition.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Ioris said :
Fisher, Dempster, Scheidner, Simpkins and Joey all sound like wonderful inclusions to have....................... but wait a minute folks, all coming back for the same match, could be a bit iffy.
Agree. Last night was taxing and next Friday is not far off, inclusive of plane travel. The Tigers played on Thursday night and will be very cocky. Recovery will be our key factor. I don't think that we can risk 4 inclusions at this time of year. It's Joey and Fisher (I hope) for me.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:The effort of TDL last night, one whole quarter without touching the ball...
Milne averages 12 touches a game over his career, Saad averages about 10. Really, no touches in a quarter from a small forward is only 2 or 3 under par. Given that TDL was subbed into what quickly became a very crowded forward line, I don't think it's reasonable to crush him for a poor stat line alone. I may be forgetting some howler, but I can't think of any context within the game where I was unhappy with his play. The only contest I can remember him in ended in a neutral ball.

I don't think there's anyone who played last night that I'd be upset to see named again next week. I'd like to see as many of Dempster, Fisher, Joey and Schneider in as possible. Other than that, it's up to the guys who were named to get a better result.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
groupie1
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:The effort of TDL last night, one whole quarter without touching the ball, yet he was in quite a few contests and lost every one of them, should ensure he does not get another game for a while. He can make way for Schneider.
Saad's effort was poor too. Montagna in his place.
Newnes looked slow at times. Did not get into the play enough. I would prefer Wright.
Hickey was not convincing. Kosi a chance .
And can we afford to carry Gilbert all season? He would go if any of Dempster, Fisher, or Simpkin are fit.
Great post. Totally agree... though I think Saad can make it, after working on his endurance and defenseive pressure

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
borderbarry wrote:The effort of TDL last night, one whole quarter without touching the ball...
Milne averages 12 touches a game over his career, Saad averages about 10. Really, no touches in a quarter from a small forward is only 2 or 3 under par. Given that TDL was subbed into what quickly became a very crowded forward line, I don't think it's reasonable to crush him for a poor stat line alone. I may be forgetting some howler, but I can't think of any context within the game where I was unhappy with his play. The only contest I can remember him in ended in a neutral ball.

I don't think there's anyone who played last night that I'd be upset to see named again next week. I'd like to see as many of Dempster, Fisher, Joey and Schneider in as possible. Other than that, it's up to the guys who were named to get a better result.
good post ... honestly with TDL I see him very much as the kind of guy to grow into the game the longer it go's not be the quick impact player you want from the sub .. may have been better to use Saad as the sub or Newnes...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

loris wrote:Fisher, Dempster, Scheidner, Simpkins and Joey all sound like wonderful inclusions to have....................... but wait a minute folks, all coming back for the same match, could be a bit iffy.

The only one I would have confidence being able to run out the game would be Joey as he had plenty of game time in NAB matches.

Fisher, Dempster, Simpkins with their limited game time of late, would be a backline waiting to blow up IMHO, maybe gamble on a couple of them being able to last out a game but not all three, to be included together.

And Scheids............... whilst we need his skills, his endurance has never been a plus. I'd like to see him included forward, but not if Fisher, Dempster and Simpkins are all included..................... too many with not enough game time............. too risky against the Tigers.
Spot on. I'd be very surprised if Fisher plays before R4. Dempster and Schneider may be able to get up but it would be odds on that one of them would either be subbed or be the sub.

oh when the
Club Player

If kosi plays its a sign of panic by the coach