Watters Unpopular ..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Watters Unpopular ..?

Noticed today in our Sunday paper ( QLD ) an article about the Suns and how much they like Guy Mckenna and tacked on the end of it was a note about murmours of increasing dissent amongst players are getting louder about St.Kilda coach Scott Watters..? First time I've heard of any negative comments in the media about Watters. The article was by Andrew Hamilton who normally is pretty spot on with his info.
Anyone heard anything ..?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters Unpopular ..?

oh goodie.........disgruntled list on the slide not happy?.....there's the door

lets not go sacking coaches cause a disgruntled list that hasnt delivered says so..
Last edited by Teflon on Sun 07 Apr 2013 10:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

They probably jump on the fan forums and hear the jungle drums and make it all up.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Do ALL employees have job satisfaction....? I reckon there would be something wrong if there weren't a few unhappy campers. I dare say some of the senior members playing for Sandy would be a little disgruntled.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

I like him a lot.. Just complains more then Ross did..

FQF
SS Life Member

But does he have the tactical and innovative football understanding to really compete with the best coaches out there?

Yet to be seen in my opinion.

defacto
Club Player

Teflon wrote:oh goodie.........disgruntled list on the slide not happy?.....there's the door

lets not go sacking coaches cause a disgruntled list that hasnt delivered says so..
+1

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I hope we don't have a coach change for at least 2 years. What's the point. It's a simple objective isn't for the next few years, keep turning players over until you think you've got the right players and then get games into them. If we bottom out for 2 years then I wouldn't mind either, it will provide high draft picks as a bonus. With the exception of draft selections, there is no other prize for spots on the ladder from 9th through to last.

Go the Smurf!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Watters may get even more unpopular as he evolves the list....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
FQF
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:I hope we don't have a coach change for at least 2 years. What's the point. It's a simple objective isn't for the next few years, keep turning players over until you think you've got the right players and then get games into them. If we bottom out for 2 years then I wouldn't mind either, it will provide high draft picks as a bonus. With the exception of draft selections, there is no other prize for spots on the ladder from 9th through to last.

Go the Smurf!
I think the real question is whether Watters is the coach for the rebuild and then he will pass the baton over to someone else to finish the job, or whether he will coach us to the next flag?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I hope we don't have a coach change for at least 2 years. What's the point. It's a simple objective isn't for the next few years, keep turning players over until you think you've got the right players and then get games into them. If we bottom out for 2 years then I wouldn't mind either, it will provide high draft picks as a bonus. With the exception of draft selections, there is no other prize for spots on the ladder from 9th through to last.

Go the Smurf!
I think the real question is whether Watters is the coach for the rebuild and then he will pass the baton over to someone else to finish the job, or whether he will coach us to the next flag?
Just based on Saints history for sacking coaches and the possibility that our next potential flag tilt is 5ish years away you would have to guess SW wont be in charge.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully though he is a good recruiter and developer of players.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

God help us if the players are still pining for RL and blaming their current form on the new coach. God help us if the administration doesn't give the coach their full support for at least three or four years.

Greg T
Club Player

FQF wrote:But does he have the tactical and innovative football understanding to really compete with the best coaches out there?

Yet to be seen in my opinion.
Great point,Watters wil be judged in hindsight,but at the moment I don't see him as contender for coach of the year.
As he is changing the list ,you would expect some player rumblings
Ross Lyon is now what I call a top coach,as much as some don't like him.
Hope this board changes before the coach

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Middo wrote:Noticed today in our Sunday paper ( QLD ) an article about the Suns and how much they like Guy Mckenna and tacked on the end of it was a note about murmours of increasing dissent amongst players are getting louder about St.Kilda coach Scott Watters..? First time I've heard of any negative comments in the media about Watters. The article was by Andrew Hamilton who normally is pretty spot on with his info.
That is absolute tripe.

rexy
SS Life Member

Happy for him to be unpopular for the right reasons! Nobody's spot should be sacred, Kosi Blake Milne if they are no longer capable of earning their spot, Sippos Newnes Millera Saad if they are not doing their all to prove worthy. Watters should not back away from that! He is paid to win footy matches!

If he is unpopular because he is inconsistent and treats different guys with different rules then he will never be a good coach!

Selection table will tell the story!

Sippos must go for his poor efforts, Blake and Milne struggling with pace of game, Newnes may have saved himself with better second half?

Maybe this year?
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I've got to stop reading s*** on this forum

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Lyon was reportedly very unpopular amongst the players when he first started.

In fact, if you listen to rumors, he was still relatively unpopular when he turned them into a juggernaut contending for premierships. It was that whole "respect him, doesn't mean they have to like him" thing...

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Middo wrote:Noticed today in our Sunday paper ( QLD ) an article about the Suns and how much they like Guy Mckenna and tacked on the end of it was a note about murmours of increasing dissent amongst players are getting louder about St.Kilda coach Scott Watters..? First time I've heard of any negative comments in the media about Watters. The article was by Andrew Hamilton who normally is pretty spot on with his info.
That is absolute tripe.
good to hear... :wink: ...thought as much... :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh good grief..now people want to hang SW for sins of a previous administration

He said himself..from 2008-2010 we had virtually no young players come through. Thats the absolute 100% truth but is not the fault of anyone in the current Football Dept.

He came in, saw the problem and is trying to address it. FFS dont throw the baby out with the bathwater.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
spert
Saintsational Legend

Watters inherited an ageing unbalanced team, with little depth. If he is to turn this club around, he will have to step on toes and will make very unpopular moves. One of the most unpopular moves he will make, will be dropping some of the entrenched veterans who have played well for years, but didn't get us a flag in that time. The biggest challenge of all for St Kilda, will be for the president, board and members to fully support him in his coaching tenure...if Watters gets total support I think he will succeed, and those who don't like the hard decisions should walk.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Is there a possibility the current team have a good understanding that the guy Can't Coach! The team have quoted they would have ran thru walls for Lyon you don't see the same level of passion coming from the club now! When was the last time the players really got stuck into the opposition physically & mentally answer it hasn't happened under Watters! The team is just going through the motions.

Watters is a good media performer and administrator perhaps similar to Chris Conolly, but in time it was shown he couldn't coach either! I believe Watters will follow the same path ....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
noddy04
Club Player

So the article told of how great and wonderful McKenna is and btw nobody likes Watters. How in the heck would some clown reporter (based in QLD i presume) know anything remotely connected to the inner sanctums of our footy club ?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is going to have to go about the awkward job of retiring players, not giving games to senior guys who maybe don't expect it, tell guys to do something entirely different than what they've always done.

Not going to go down well at times.

I could guess about a couple of younger players struggling to get a senior game under Scott, were I believe he may be giving a lesson in humility.

What we DO know is the players who have started to blossom under him. Dempster took his game to a whole new level and credits that to Scott, Geary, Armo, Stanley looking great in defence IMO, I don't get the Gilbert angst and think this new role is bringing out his best footy that I've seen in a long time...

If others are going backwards, like Teflon says, much to do with the age of the list

saint58
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Oh good grief..now people want to hang SW for sins of a previous administration

He said himself..from 2008-2010 we had virtually no young players come through. Thats the absolute 100% truth but is not the fault of anyone in the current Football Dept.

He came in, saw the problem and is trying to address it. FFS dont throw the baby out with the bathwater.
totaly agree RL has a lot to answer for he is not a coach who can rebuild he needs a ready made list and he saw the writing on the wall so the jumped ship and used contract as a excuse.(i did like ross)

SW came in changed the hole face of the club with more football people and coaches,which takes time to bear fruit.

I would even say give him a contact extension nother 2 years so he has time to move the group to where he wonts it.

Then reasses after that time.