Mixed messages

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mooksy
Club Player

Mixed messages

I could have sworn I read a quote from Watters a week and a half ago saying "you will never hear me talking about rebuilding". Well, on Saturday he certainly started speaking about a rebuild. The only thing that bothers me about this is mixed messages.

Now, regarding this list, we STILL have no 18-20 year olds showing anything. Unlike a lot of other clubs. Such a worry. And I am convinced we are a dumb football team who constantly make stupid decisions on the field. So frustrating.

Last year we bemoaned the fact we lacked a second ruckman. This year it is a tall defender. Just get it bloody right FFS.

I'm worried.

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Mixed messages

I remember that too now that you mention it... that really is a very blatant blunder indeed.

FQF
SS Life Member

I checked up on this and it seems that he didn't actually say we were rebuilding, that was the headline of the article but not a quote from Scott.

"I think every side, from grand finalists the whole way down the ladder, is always evolving its list. That's why you'll never hear me talk about a rebuild or being patient."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z2PpMIWxiR

''We are making change - we've made change over 12 months - and we will continue to evolve our group.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z2PpMbxxdP

Beekay
SS Life Member

Mooksy wrote:And I am convinced we are a dumb football team who constantly make stupid decisions on the field. So frustrating.

I agree completely and that is what I found so cunning/compelling about Ross Lyon's time. We never seemed to have a lot of "thinkers"..

Games, particularly big games, are usually won by nifty, intelligent players.

What a difference a Bartel would have made to the recent journey...

Enough about the past though, we need an additional 5 balanced, quick, clever onballers before we think about competing, let alone pushing for GFs. 3 would do this year, but once Lenny leaves, Dal becomes ordinary/retires, some serious concern. I left Monty out, just get the feeling he could go longer that Dal.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
Mooksy wrote:And I am convinced we are a dumb football team who constantly make stupid decisions on the field. So frustrating.

I agree completely and that is what I found so cunning/compelling about Ross Lyon's time. We never seemed to have a lot of "thinkers"..

Games, particularly big games, are usually won by nifty, intelligent players.

What a difference a Bartel would have made to the recent journey...

Enough about the past though, we need an additional 5 balanced, quick, clever onballers before we think about competing, let alone pushing for GFs. 3 would do this year, but once Lenny leaves, Dal becomes ordinary/retires, some serious concern. I left Monty out, just get the feeling he could go longer that Dal.
Good point well made.

Composure is such a good quality in a footballer.

A defensive mindet is admirable, but it needs to be balanced with an ability to make the right decision.

I am big on getting Geary into the midfield, I'm not sure his kicking skills are quite up there with his football brain, but he IMO has a habit of lifting and making selfless decisions when the game is in the balance.

On the flipsdie, I think Ledger remains out of the side because he perhaps tries to do too much, lacking composure?

Not convinced they'll land one at a bargain price in the current FA enviroment, and will need to be clever.