Stanley has to play forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Stanley has to play forward

It's obvious that we need a big key back, which is why we chased Brown so hard.
But we also need another big forward to act as a deeper target.
If Watters sees Stanley playing as a defender for the next 10 years, then leave him there.
But I get the feeling that he will be pushed forward once we draft/trade a defender.
Which just seems pointless wasting this year to develop him as a Backman and not advancing him as a forward.

I see him playing the Deep forward role, that Kosi played. But obviously with the hope of playing it better.
Then with Siposs as the third tall.
Maybe we need to try Maister or Tom Lee down back and just trust in Gwilt/Dempsey/Roberton/Geary and fisher to go third man up an help them out.

As I said. If Stanley is seen as a long term defender then leave him there. But don't waste a year of his development being a stop-gapper when he should be learning all he can from one of the best in the last decade.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Re: Stanley has to play forward

Watters playing Stanley in defence reminds me of I think Stan Alves or Tim Watson playing Barry Hall as a defender for a short time. Stanley is clearly not a defender in my opinion.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Enter Spencer White.

Greg T
Club Player

I've thought all year Rhys's should be up the fwd line to give balance and help Roo.
I understand our lack of Talls down back , but does anyone one think he's the answer there.
Side is really unbalanced ATM.
Don't know the answer with the cattle we have either?
It's gonna be a long year!!

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, I can't stand seeing him down back either. He's a natural forward. To his credit, he has handled himself pretty well under the circumstances.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The back line is starting to work well and I think Rhys is really benefiting from holding down a spot and doing mostly well considering he is only 8 rounds into his backline apprenticeship. Anyone playing as a second tall in the forward line is always going to be second fiddle while Roo is in the team and that possibly isn't the best outcome in terms of an individual players development in that position. When we find the next tall and it probably is Spencer White then they come in and Roo plays second fiddle but that is probably a year away at least which will probably be the timing for Spencer to get a regular game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

He's the next Dustin Fletcher... Because he's tall

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Where's the evidence Stanley is a natural forward?

Lee 60-odd goals last year in the WAFL, White a goal-kicker in his competition, Siposs 100 goals in under age competition. These guys are more so natural forwards.

I'm not sure exactly what Stanley is at this stage, but he's not a full back.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

We could stick him in the forward line but will only see the ball 5 times a game given how much we get the ball down there. More experience reading the flight of the ball in the backline, still plenty of years left in his career to kick bags of goals.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Where's the evidence Stanley is a natural forward?

Lee 60-odd goals last year in the WAFL, White a goal-kicker in his competition, Siposs 100 goals in under age competition. These guys are more so natural forwards.

I'm not sure exactly what Stanley is at this stage, but he's not a full back.
Right here and now...the ruck/forward that they are trying to make Hickey into which he is not.

IMO they are only playing Stanley back for amongst the big forwards he has the most chance of playing ok as a key back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

This is not only about the needs of the team, but also Stanley's development. I agree that Stanley would be useful up forward and that would be a short term benefit. We saw a glimpse tonight of what Stanley may do running out of the backline, in a passage of play resulting in a goal to Roo from a free. Stanley down back is about the medium to long term.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No

No

Hes the next Nick Riewoldt... Because hes tall AND blonde

hes actually not a natural footy player IMHO.
hes an athlete playing footy... I think people will feel let down if hes fwd or back.
The guy just needs to play. Might take him years to learn the game.

sainter104
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:Watters playing Stanley in defence reminds me of I think Stan Alves or Tim Watson playing Barry Hall as a defender for a short time. Stanley is clearly not a defender in my opinion.
M Blight

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

It could be the fact that we simply need a bloke to play there and Stanley put his hand up. He is getting games and he is not being murdered every week so its not going to badly if he is truly keeping the spot warm for a potential recruit.

It could also be that Scotty sees him as the next Roo and is playing him as a defender to help him learn how to be a better forward. If he can get inside the head of a key backman and anticipate how they will think based on experience of there then it can only be a positive for him and the team

maybe im reading too much into it and as a few coaches have said you dont recruit key defenders you develop them and Stanley was the one who was chosen/put up his hand to fill the role

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Stanley has barely impacted games as a forward or as a ruck. He's kicked multiple goals twice in his career and his ruckwork hasn't been subpar. His speed and athleticism are huge assets in the back half. He's still adjusting to the position, but he's clearly having more influence on the game as a defender. I'd leave him there long term. Anyone who has seen Brown this year wouldn't be missing him.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ljpoyz
Club Player

Very true, which is why I feel he is better as a back than forward.
His kicking into the forward half is also a weapon.
Con Gorozidis wrote:
BigMart wrote:No

No

Hes the next Nick Riewoldt... Because hes tall AND blonde

hes actually not a natural footy player IMHO.
hes an athlete playing footy... I think people will feel let down if hes fwd or back.
The guy just needs to play. Might take him years to learn the game.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Hurricane wrote: It could also be that Scotty sees him as the next Roo and is playing him as a defender to help him learn how to be a better forward. If he can get inside the head of a key backman and anticipate how they will think based on experience of there then it can only be a positive for him and the team
This

There used to be a school of thought about that if you learn how to defend the hard way it will help in your development as a forward.

Kosi and Roo both started their AFL careers across half back and those 2 have then been the keys to our forward line (with Milne) for the last 10 years.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:
Hurricane wrote: It could also be that Scotty sees him as the next Roo and is playing him as a defender to help him learn how to be a better forward. If he can get inside the head of a key backman and anticipate how they will think based on experience of there then it can only be a positive for him and the team
This

There used to be a school of thought about that if you learn how to defend the hard way it will help in your development as a forward.

Kosi and Roo both started their AFL careers across half back and those 2 have then been the keys to our forward line (with Milne) for the last 10 years.
our last coleman medalist also spent time as a defender ...

i might be alone but i dont mind Rhys as a backman ... he is 8 games in to his defensive role and to me each week he seems to be learning a bit more and more about how to do it - yes he is going to be towled up on occasion and yeah he is making mistakes but long term i think this spell back will make him a better footballer over all be that as a defender or forward

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Our last Coleman medallist was a natural goal kicker throughout his career. I've seen no evidence of that with Rhys. Persevere with him in defence, but not on the last line at this stage

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Everyone calling him to be a fwd have some emotional fantasy he will be Roos replacement. I can recall many a game where he played fwd where he barely went near the ball. Can we just chill out and let the guy learn the game at his own speed. Hes not the messiah and people shouldnt be heaping expectations on him to be the next Roo. He was a 60 something in the draft and he needs time. Chucking him fwd wont be some magic bullet.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Watters playing Stanley in defence reminds me of I think Stan Alves or Tim Watson playing Barry Hall as a defender for a short time. Stanley is clearly not a defender in my opinion.
It was Malcolm Blight. We had no one else but he really wasn't suited there at all.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Everyone calling him to be a fwd have some emotional fantasy he will be Roos replacement. I can recall many a game where he played fwd where he barely went near the ball. Can we just chill out and let the guy learn the game at his own speed. Hes not the messiah and people shouldnt be heaping expectations on him to be the next Roo. He was a 60 something in the draft and he needs time. Chucking him fwd wont be some magic bullet.
this exactly .... i think long term for his overall footy its good that he is learning down back where his future lays is still unknown (remember Fisher was drafted as a forward) but at the moment he is finally getting a good run of consecutivee games and is been trusted with a pretty big task each weel ... now that is going to be the best thing for his development

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sobraz
SS Life Member

IMO Stanley's best position is as ruckman...

Now with Hickey being a first round pick for us and Ben locking down the number 1 spot, there is no place for him..

He showed an enormous amount in the short stints he rucked last year... But unfortunately, we have holes elsewhere and he is the short term fix... Not doing much for his development however...

Im a little lost with what to do with him now... A backman, he ain't... He's lost up forward... He's neither here nor there...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stanley was heavily criticised on Radio, for just trailing in behind his opponent, basically didn't defend

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

OK so move Stanley (IMO his only other postion is to replace HIckey as a forward rotating into the ruck). But who takes his role down back? Simpkin if fit and in form, but he is neither at the minute.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!