FB: Matthew Sully - Geelong VFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

FB: Matthew Sully - Geelong VFL

Continuing my avoidance of work and never-ending search for KPDs to grab, this from a couple of years ago caught my eye... Now playing with Geelong's VFL side, was in the initial state squad before it got trimmed...

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/a...c ... 6123541817
10. Matt Sully
(South Warrnambool)

BEING a teenager hasn't prevented young-gun Sully from making a major impact this year.

The strong centre half-back is a key contributor at Hampden league premiership favourite South Warrnambool, and stood up to the test against older, more experienced players in Hampden's interleague clash with the Murray league.

Sully was also handpicked by the VAFA as the VCFL's best on ground in their under-19 encounter at Shepparton.

VCFL under-19 coach Damian Sexton said Sully had the goods to make it at AFL level.

"He's strong, trim and taut and he can really motor,'' Sexton said. "He likes to attack from half-back, which the AFL clubs like to see, and he's got good leadership qualities.''
Now apparently 196cm and 95kgs - Cats fans likening him to Matthew Egan, whom he'd be learning from too considering where he's playing his footy...get on it Saints!

paddy
Club Player

Re: FB: Matthew Sully - Geelong VFL

Roberton 2.0?

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

A lot beefier than Dylan.

Plays as a genuine CHB/FB by all accounts too.

paddy
Club Player

Uncle Barrels wrote:A lot beefier than Dylan.

Plays as a genuine CHB/FB by all accounts too.

definately sounds interesting, I just thought that 194cm, attacking from half back sounds very dylanesque...

definately worth a look

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

You missed the bottom line.... Now 196cm and 95kgs...

Also keep an eye on Fraser Fort (Geelong Falcons, 18, 196cm 84kgs) and Harley Walshe (Western Jets, 19, 196cm and 90kgs).

Walshe was eligible to be drafted last year, but as a bottom ager and at only 83kgs. Likened himself to Dustin Fletcher due to build and closing speed. Has put on a fair bit of bulk since then...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Get them all. Afterall there is only over half a season left so why see how they go in the second half of the year.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Get them all. Afterall there is only over half a season left so why see how they go in the second half of the year.
*sigh*
troll
Pronunciation: /trəʊl, trɒl/
noun
1 informal a deliberately provocative online posting intended to incite an angry response.
a person who submits a deliberately provocative posting:
one solution is to make a troll’s postings invisible to the rest of community once they’ve been recognized

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Get them all. Afterall there is only over half a season left so why see how they go in the second half of the year.
*sigh*
troll
Pronunciation: /trəʊl, trɒl/
noun
1 informal a deliberately provocative online posting intended to incite an angry response.
a person who submits a deliberately provocative posting:
one solution is to make a troll’s postings invisible to the rest of community once they’ve been recognized

I could say you are trolling suggesting all these players when there is over half a year left. Surely its a bit early for all of this. The only reason i can come up with why you suggest these guys is you want comments whether good or bad or want to say i told you so when they become good players.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Wouldn't have a clue whether they're good, and no interest in 'I told you so.' I want to know whether they COULD be from any good from anyone who's seen them, or whether posters think they sound about right. I find looking forward to be entertaining, even in the knowledge that there is half a season to go. Particularly when it looks pretty likely that we're not going to feature in September.

It's a shame that you seem to spend 90per cent of your time here engaged either in internecine warfare, derisively commenting on other posters' work or seemingly deliberately altering the topic to suit yourself, because when you actually offer an opinion you're an interesting bloke to read and seem to have half a brain where football is concerned.

It would be really great if you stuck to that, rather than the other 90per cent, but it's a matter for you.

Do you have any knowledge of these blokes, or feel like passing the days engaging in (what I consider to be) fun hypotetheticals? If you don't, let those who want to have their fun without ruining it for whatever purpose is driving you. Just don't post in those threads.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Massive douche. Destroyed me in juniors many times though

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Massive douche. Destroyed me in juniors many times though

I thought you meant Plugger. At least we could give him the nickname Sandra. Not Plugger- Sully.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I thought you meant Plugger. At least we could give him the nickname Sandra. Not Plugger- Sully.

How many is it now. 72 but you got one right. And everyone is a good footballer.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

How many is it now. 72 but you got one right. And everyone is a good footballer.

Sorry I never said anything about drafting him- I don't know him at all. I have no interest in any player I have no knowledge of. I have more runs on the board than you. Some guys should play AFL that don't get a game look at recent players from WAFL and SANFL that come ready to play.

You have some idea that the top 10 picks will all be superstars and anyone outside is a spud. The law of averages is always on the negative side as very few footballers make it. I at least offer an opinion you old sniper.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Sorry I never said anything about drafting him- I don't know him at all. I have no interest in any player I have no knowledge of. I have more runs on the board than you. Some guys should play AFL that don't get a game look at recent players from WAFL and SANFL that come ready to play.

You have some idea that the top 10 picks will all be superstars and anyone outside is a spud. The law of averages is always on the negative side as very few footballers make it. I at least offer an opinion you old sniper.

As opposed to everyone being good and then telling us you got it right. I have no idea about young players and my guess is you dont either. You read their hightlights and say they will be good. Surely the word highlights gives it away.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: As opposed to everyone being good and then telling us you got it right. I have no idea about young players and my guess is you dont either. You read their hightlights and say they will be good. Surely the word highlights gives it away.

I watch games of footy and watching the state under 18s and TAC gives you more idea than a couple of highlights. I remember watching Nick Winmar in WA under 18s and he was nothing special and looked a bit lost while Allen Christensen looked mercurial all day. It isn't that hard to spot talent. Likewise Steele Sidebottom- the guy had a name you couldn't miss and made footy look easy- why didn't he shoot up the draft order?

Colquhoun was playing for SA and with Schramberg looked like they were everywhere and ready to go. Colquhoun is a Port Rookie- who ever didn't get him will look dumb long term.

I remember Adam Goodes in the Roosters GF and he was the best individual football performance I ever witnessed. He rucked to himself roved the ball and kicked goals- he looked like Nick Nat v the Auskickers. The guy went really late in the draft. Footy recruiters can over complicate it. Miles Sewell looked a ready made player 4 years ago and never got a go. Sauntner could have played afl IMO. I'm not making radical predictions just watching the game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: As opposed to everyone being good and then telling us you got it right. I have no idea about young players and my guess is you dont either. You read their hightlights and say they will be good. Surely the word highlights gives it away.

I watch games of footy and watching the state under 18s and TAC gives you more idea than a couple of highlights. I remember watching Nick Winmar in WA under 18s and he was nothing special and looked a bit lost while Allen Christensen looked mercurial all day. It isn't that hard to spot talent. Likewise Steele Sidebottom- the guy had a name you couldn't miss and made footy look easy- why didn't he shoot up the draft order?

Colquhoun was playing for SA and with Schramberg looked like they were everywhere and ready to go. Colquhoun is a Port Rookie- who ever didn't get him will look dumb long term.

I remember Adam Goodes in the Roosters GF and he was the best individual football performance I ever witnessed. He rucked to himself roved the ball and kicked goals- he looked like Nick Nat v the Auskickers. The guy went really late in the draft. Footy recruiters can over complicate it. Miles Sewell looked a ready made player 4 years ago and never got a go. Sauntner could have played afl IMO. I'm not making radical predictions just watching the game.

So lets get this straight. How many times do you see under 18's play every year? The truth would be good. The way it sounds is you see a guy play once a year. If that is the case there would be about 30 players you would like. Amazingly you have only singled out the winners and one loser after the event. The recruiters only only get 4 or 5 picks. You cant name 70 players and then say they got it wrong or that player would be better. And Nick Sauntner could never have played good AFL footy. Never seen Sewell play so have no idea on him. My guess is if his surname was hedpeh no one would take much notice of him. I will tell you one in the VFL that can play though and his name is Chris Cain. I mention him because I have seen him play 4 times this year and about 3 last year. Not a lot but better than once and 5 of those times have been live and not on TV. Pretty important I reckon.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

So lets get this straight. How many times do you see under 18's play every year? The truth would be good. The way it sounds is you see a guy play once a year. If that is the case there would be about 30 players you would like. Amazingly you have only singled out the winners and one loser after the event. The recruiters only only get 4 or 5 picks. You cant name 70 players and then say they got it wrong or that player would be better. And Nick Sauntner could never have played good AFL footy. Never seen Sewell play so have no idea on him. My guess is if his surname was hedpeh no one would take much notice of him. I will tell you one in the VFL that can play though and his name is Chris Cain. I mention him because I have seen him play 4 times this year and about 3 last year. Not a lot but better than once and 5 of those times have been live and not on TV. Pretty important I reckon.
I was watching lots of TAC games a few years ago but don't have much time and the kids I now have all moved up from TAC. These days not many but always stream the under 18 carnival- watch it you will see the stars of the future shine in them.

Are you kidding about Sewell- he won the best player in the VFL award numerous times. He is a gun at VFL level and you just can't see what more he could do. I thought you watched lots of VFL.