Sydney's salary cap concession

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sydney's salary cap concession

Clearly needs to be higher.

They really should be 100 points up at the moment.

If the AFL were fair and reasonable they'd give this poor club a 20% allowance.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Rosco
Club Player

Re: Sydney's salary cap concession

plus they've got $900k sitting in the stands until round 12

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

How much of it is wasted on Walsh?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:How much of it is wasted on Walsh?
Not much but too much.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't care this week.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
suss
Club Player

While I agree that they don't need it, they deserve credit for excellent drafting and canny recruiting. Half the team is made up of 'rejects' for Pete's sake.

On the flip side of the salary cap concession argument, shouldn't Geelong and the Adelaide teams have lower salary caps? Ah, another of Demetriou's unanswerable questions ...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:While I agree that they don't need it, they deserve credit for excellent drafting and canny recruiting. Half the team is made up of 'rejects' for Pete's sake.

On the flip side of the salary cap concession argument, shouldn't Geelong and the Adelaide teams have lower salary caps? Ah, another of Demetriou's unanswerable questions ...

I'd argue the other way for obvious reasons.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Geeze they are looking good.

Watching their footskills....and contrasting it to our kicking against the Crows last week. BIG BIG gap.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
suss
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
suss wrote:While I agree that they don't need it, they deserve credit for excellent drafting and canny recruiting. Half the team is made up of 'rejects' for Pete's sake.

what?

happy feet
Club Player

No worse than the leg the Pies and the Dons get off the AFL every year.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm so effing jealous of Geelong and Sydney rebounding up the ladder while their old boys like Goodes, O Keefe and Bolton get another premiership medal and seem to be stuck up the top again.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

what?

That you'd need to be paid more to want to live there. :mrgreen:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I didnt read about this last week. pretty sure the guy who brings the salary over every other side didnt play tonight. They are a good side because they have great players and obviously a good coaching panel.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

What i don't understand with there concessions is they say sydney is an expensive place to live !
Players are supplied with food , clothing , air travel , medical , etc... this is all paid for by the club when they are directly involved with it .
When their not with the club ( nights , days off , holidays ) they have to pay for everything .

The major food chains have the same prices around the country as do the major retail outlets !

Real estate prices are high however most players after a couple of years there would no longer be renting , therefore if you were from Melbourne and returned after years in sydney , you would simply sell your place , probably for allot more than you paid !

So I just don't understand the concession !

In red white and black from 73
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:What i don't understand with there concessions is they say sydney is an expensive place to live !
Players are supplied with food , clothing , air travel , medical , etc... this is all paid for by the club when they are directly involved with it .
When their not with the club ( nights , days off , holidays ) they have to pay for everything .

The major food chains have the same prices around the country as do the major retail outlets !

Real estate prices are high however most players after a couple of years there would no longer be renting , therefore if you were from Melbourne and returned after years in sydney , you would simply sell your place , probably for allot more than you paid !

The reason you don't understand the concession is simple:

It makes NO sense whatsoever. Anyway you try to twist it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I didnt read about this last week. pretty sure the guy who brings the salary over every other side didnt play tonight. They are a good side because they have great players and obviously a good coaching panel.

They may have lost if they didnt get that extra cap space last week. Pretty handy being able to hang on to a player like BJ right now and Ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SinCitySainter
Club Player

They weren't rejects they were players with potential at other clubs which when Sydney came around offering them 300K the other club couldn't match.
That is what happened with Walsh we did not cut him they offered over the top salary and we couldn't match it.
It happened with Kennedy and Hawthorn as well, Mumford was the same, none of them were rejects.
It all comes down to the salary cap advantage they have.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:What i don't understand with there concessions is they say sydney is an expensive place to live !

The salary cap concession should only be applicable to players under 200K per annum.
When you earn the sort of money some of these players are earning the cost of living increase is irrelevant.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yes very nice to have a project like Mike Pyke knowing it wont mean youll lose a couple of players while hes developing.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

They have won their friggin corrupt flag in 2005 and a slightly more legit one last year.

Surely that's enough for Dimwitfarkwit?

I understand if GWS gets concessions as they are crap at the moment, but Sydney getting it is plain fraud.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I understand if GWS gets concessions as they are crap at the moment, but Sydney getting it is plain fraud.
Also much cheaper to live in the West of Sydney than in the East of Melbourne.

The concession is a fraud and a fix.

Just like father son

blockbusters

the FIXture

protecting corrupt umpires

taking points of a club when the AFL makes a mistake

letting an interstate club from Sydney keep their points after blateantly cheating and then bringing in a pathetic interchange system run by post it notes - halfway through a season....

etc

etc

etc

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SideshowMilne
Club Player

What is the cost of living the GWS boys pay to the Breakfast Point luxury apartments they stay at?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Another reason the AFL is not a level playing field....

Every time I hear the argument of the Salary Cap and Draft making the comp even I laugh

Both are absolutely compromised with rules able to be changed by the AFL to suit their agenda....

This is besides the biggest joke of all.... The 'fixture'

jimmy_slats
Club Player

the part i don't get is that if it were actually true that they used there cap extra to evenly distribute to all the players then why are there 1st years and rookies on the same amount of money as all the other clubs.... shouldn't they be higher?

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:the part i don't get is that if it were actually true that they used there cap extra to evenly distribute to all the players then why are there 1st years and rookies on the same amount of money as all the other clubs.... shouldn't they be higher?

They have said on radio they also get extra.