Jackson Ferguson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bono
Club Player

Jackson Ferguson

Like the way this kid has been treated. Debuts, gets subbed out, and then dropped. And Maister gets recalled. A great way to manage a young player. It basically confirms that the coach doesn't know what he is doing.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jackson Ferguson

Bono wrote:Like the way this kid has been treated. Debuts, gets subbed out, and then dropped. And Maister gets recalled. A great way to manage a young player. It basically confirms that the coach doesn't know what he is doing.

Yeah would have thought playing him on Darling or Kennedy this game would of done him wonders after last weeks game. :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintact7
Club Player

Agree. Yeah he had a shocker but we need a monster backman, he fits that bill. Deserved his opportunity and I think deserves another go, especially with Eagles big forwards. We are now in the position where these younger players have to get a decent opportunity. Will check him out again at Windy Hill tomorrow

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saintact7 wrote:Agree. Yeah he had a shocker but we need a monster backman, he fits that bill. Deserved his opportunity and I think deserves another go, especially with Eagles big forwards. We are now in the position where these younger players have to get a decent opportunity. Will check him out again at Windy Hill tomorrow
In what universe is he a monster backman, he is exactly the same height and weight and both Gilbert and Roberton. he would get murdered by the Eagles talls, I actually think by not playing him in this game will be better for his career.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not happy with it either, either persevere or don't bother

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully he does well for Sandy tomorrow and that he gets another chance after the break, when we take on less scary opposition.

savatage
SS Life Member

Was a strange promotion. Wasn't exactly in form.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Promotion made sense to me. Fit a need that we desperately have right now, however it was not the most sparkling of debuts.

I was pissed off to read he got dropped, especially at the expense of a waste of a time like InvisiBeau, but in retrospect he got a taste and now he can go back to the VFL and hopefully re focus and be 100% ready to cement a spot when he gets another chance

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Kernal75
Club Player

Sometimes coaches throw players in to decide whether they can cut it or not. Ferg has been on the rookie list for 3 years now so it's make or break year for him as we have to upgrade or move him on according to AFL rules. Perhaps Scotty wanted to throw him in at the deep end to see for himself? I'd suspect that he may be moved on at years end!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Sometimes coaches throw players in to decide whether they can cut it or not. Ferg has been on the rookie list for 3 years now so it's make or break year for him as we have to upgrade or move him on according to AFL rules. Perhaps Scotty wanted to throw him in at the deep end to see for himself? I'd suspect that he may be moved on at years end!

If we are decided on that half of footy he isnt good enough then our player management isnt good enough either. I hope they take no notice of that game. The mids poor form meant the backs had no hope. Fisher didnt look much better than Ferg.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Sometimes coaches throw players in to decide whether they can cut it or not. Ferg has been on the rookie list for 3 years now so it's make or break year for him as we have to upgrade or move him on according to AFL rules. Perhaps Scotty wanted to throw him in at the deep end to see for himself? I'd suspect that he may be moved on at years end!

If we are decided on that half of footy he isnt good enough then our player management isnt good enough either. I hope they take no notice of that game. The mids poor form meant the backs had no hope. Fisher didnt look much better than Ferg.
None of them looked any good. Jimmy Gwilt had a shocking first half, Fisher was injured, Dempster didn't do much and young Ferguson was trying to figure out WTF was going on, and the extrenme pace of the game compared to VFL.

So the coach wants to look at all players to see if they can "cut it". Why in hell select Jones and Maister then over Ferguson? They aren't backs, we know what they can do, who is going to get monosterd by the WCE big forwards?

Are we gunna have Mac and Hickey as loose man in defence?

God this Sunday is shaping as a nightmare.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Hurricane, you deserve some sort of award for the ingenuity behind the "InvisiBeau" comment - touche.

I agree with everyone else who says that Jackson shouldn't have been dropped after one game. Not good for his confidence or development, and not a good way to manage young players (which is what this whole season should be about).

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone actually know what is wrong with Fishers foot?

With all due respect Lenny, Fisher and Schneids will never again be what they once were. They are pretty much done.

Hope Jacko gets a few more games. Was a ridiculous debut. I think the inside 50s were about 15-1 in the first quarter?
The ball was coming down on his head at a ridiculous speed and we were a rabble.

Poor coaching if anything. Not Jackos fault he had a shocker.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Ferg was absolutely woeful! Its not the way to measure a game but ended up on -6 in DT. When he did have it he had zero composure, his opponent had 4 kicked within the first 1/4.

While he is tall, he plays like Gilbert and Roberton, he is not the answer and should've been dropped. Personally I hope he goes home to GWS and we get a decent pick out of him similar to Tommy Walsh.

I sound harsh, but he isnt ready and not what we need on our list when he is ready (if he improves a lot)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Ferg was absolutely woeful! Its not the way to measure a game but ended up on -6 in DT. When he did have it he had zero composure, his opponent had 4 kicked within the first 1/4.

While he is tall, he plays like Gilbert and Roberton, he is not the answer and should've been dropped. Personally I hope he goes home to GWS and we get a decent pick out of him similar to Tommy Walsh.

I sound harsh, but he isnt ready and not what we need on our list when he is ready (if he improves a lot)

You have no idea about footy but then again you arent on your own here. How did Fisher look last week? And by the way Montagna as a mid had 2 possessions in his first game.

SuperDuper
Club Player

I thought he looked to be favouring one leg a little...with that heavily strapped knee he just seemed like he had not fully recovered from the surgery.. probably had structurally but it can take weeks/months (and 2 years when having a full reco) to get full mobility back

PJ
SS Life Member

It would appear to be a very ordinary elevation. Hope he can provide something during the season but at present is not up to it - not his fault,

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint6709
Club Player

Ferg looked injured to me - otherwise he moves very awkwardly and will really struggle - I don't want to be down on the kid and I really hope he turns it around - but IMO it was the worst debut since raph Clarke - who also had a shocker first up

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Ferg looked injured to me - otherwise he moves very awkwardly and will really struggle - I don't want to be down on the kid and I really hope he turns it around - but IMO it was the worst debut since raph Clarke - who also had a shocker first up

I reckon people just dont understand footy. Ferg was under that much pressure because the mids were smashed. Chips was also smashed and he has been an AA. Jimmy was also smashed and he has been at the club for 8 years.

And do people honestly think we would pick an injured player to debut? What are people on about. he played ordinary as did nearly all the backs because nearly all the mids were even worse.

But lets play kids and give them a few games unless of course they play ordinary and then we can bag the s*** out of them. Yep great stuff.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Ferg was absolutely woeful! Its not the way to measure a game but ended up on -6 in DT. When he did have it he had zero composure, his opponent had 4 kicked within the first 1/4.

You have no idea about footy but then again you arent on your own here. How did Fisher look last week? And by the way Montagna as a mid had 2 possessions in his first game.
It's called an opinion bud, you should try giving yours every now and then.... Oh, wait a minute....

Anyways, I won't play games, but to answer your question, Fisher - well, he was terrible, how long has he been carrying that injury? Gwilts kicking was ordinary at best, I said this and was howled down last year before he was injured - but for someone with what is considered elite kicking, he has some shockers! Our midfield was murdered, which wouldn't have made life easy for the defenders, but having said that, in an hour of footy, I didn't even see a glimpse to suggest he will be our great hope!

I stick to my point that he isn't ready and isn't what we need on our list - despite height, he is more of a Gilbert/Roberton type. Its too early to make a real judgement, but I'm allowed to give an opinion based on gut feel.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

There should be an unofficial 2 game rule for debutants.

Give the guy another game unless he got injured in the first or is totally mentally shot.

Watters is mentally shot though it seems at the moment.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's called an opinion bud, you should try giving yours every now and then.... Oh, wait a minute....

Anyways, I won't play games, but to answer your question, Fisher - well, he was terrible, how long has he been carrying that injury? Gwilts kicking was ordinary at best, I said this and was howled down last year before he was injured - but for someone with what is considered elite kicking, he has some shockers! Our midfield was murdered, which wouldn't have made life easy for the defenders, but having said that, in an hour of footy, I didn't even see a glimpse to suggest he will be our great hope!

I stick to my point that he isn't ready and isn't what we need on our list - despite height, he is more of a Gilbert/Roberton type. Its too early to make a real judgement, but I'm allowed to give an opinion based on gut feel.

How many times have you seen him play? By the way just forgot about the Joey thing or is he different because he has now made it. I have given my opinion and that is a half of footy is to early to call any player especially when the mids were smashed. it is ridiculous and completely unfair.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That's pretty unfair and wrong. If Ferg was woeful what were our mids? You can't blame him for the way the ball came into the forward line.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Judging by Ferg's Sandy form and his game against the Roos he clearly wasn't ready for senior footy. It was unfair on Ferg to put him in a position where his confidence wwould be shattered. He wasn't ready and we weren't left in a position where we had no other choice but to play him. Blake and Simpkin were both available. Just another strange call by the coach at the team selection table. And if we are giving up opinions on Ferg I reckon he won't make it. I hope I'm wrong.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I liked his gather blind turn and hand off just before the half time - just on that I reckon he is worth preservering with

Wasnt his fault that our mid field and is fellow defensive team mates were completely obliterated which effedtively made his job nigh on impossible on one of the most talented forward prospects in the game.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!