Mitch Brown deal just took a big step towards reality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Mitch Brown deal just took a big step towards reality

Just heard on 3AW on the way home that Harry Taylor has agreed to a long term contract at Geelong.
Considering where we are going to finish up on the ladder, if Brown is happy to come to us, we can pick him up for nothing in the pre season draft.
Anyone know his number at the Weagles, would be curious to see how he plays tomorrow.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mitch Brown deal just took a big step towards reality

One.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't really have a guy to play his best footy on with us. Big Rhys goes forward he gets to do his thing but I can't see him being fit or agile enough for Riewoldt and Maister is going to be a lead up too. No Cloke or Petrie for him to mind where he earns his keep. Would have been on Kosi if he played IMO. Rhys would be able to run off him too. He's really the proper wrestling type FB that we haven't really had since maybe Shanahan.

His stock aren't going soar tomorrow IMO. Still would have him on our hit list even if he doesn't play well for the rest of the year. I would prefer to get Frawley to walk on his melbourne contract but it's unlikely.

loris
Saintsational Legend

I think an issue will be convincing his fiance to relocate to Melbourne................... she is the star athlete, moreso than Mitch Brown. I think at the begining of this year I read that she signed up to a 2 year contract with her team.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:I think an issue will be convincing his fiance to relocate to Melbourne................... she is the star athlete, moreso than Mitch Brown. I think at the begining of this year I read that she signed up to a 2 year contract with her team.
Is that netball? Im pretty sure if the saints offer mitch the 350 x 3 that was reported she will be happy to go to melbourne and play for the melbourne team. She might have an exit clause based on that scenario.

I dont think life is or should be be about money but sadly netballers probably only make 20k a year.

If we get brown or frawley it frees rhys up as a ruckman/fwd and leaves us with a spare ruckman we can trade for a gun midfielder.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
loris wrote:I think an issue will be convincing his fiance to relocate to Melbourne................... she is the star athlete, moreso than Mitch Brown. I think at the begining of this year I read that she signed up to a 2 year contract with her team.
Is that netball? Im pretty sure if the saints offer mitch the 350 x 3 that was reported she will be happy to go to melbourne and play for the melbourne team. She might have an exit clause based on that scenario.

I dont think life is or should be be about money but sadly netballers probably only make 20k a year.

If we get brown or frawley it frees rhys up as a ruckman/fwd and leaves us with a spare ruckman we can trade for a gun midfielder.

Tell me you are joking Con. We just got Hickey so why would we trade him and if we trade ben then we lose a player in the age group required. I still have no idea how we could get Frawley either because i see no reason he would want to come to us or what we could trade for him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Tell me you are joking Con. We just got Hickey so why would we trade him and if we trade ben then we lose a player in the age group required. I still have no idea how we could get Frawley either because i see no reason he would want to come to us or what we could trade for him.

How about we drop the Big Mac on the table straight swap for Frawley- he has family history and our vision on offer with internal stability and a vision for finals being the selling point. i think we can offer a cohesive plan for our future unlike the Dees.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote: I still have no idea how we could get Frawley either because i see no reason he would want to come to us or what we could trade for him.
Just coz you don't see it, doesn't mean it cannot, or isn't, happening.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

How about we drop the Big Mac on the table straight swap for Frawley- he has family history and our vision on offer with internal stability and a vision for finals being the selling point. i think we can offer a cohesive plan for our future unlike the Dees.

We have no selling point at the moment. Family history means jack. If it is true he wants out of Melbourne, which I probably doubt anyway, why would he go to a club that still hasnt hit the bottom. And why would we get rid of our best ruckman just to get a FB. it may solve one problem but creates even more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I still have no idea how we could get Frawley either because i see no reason he would want to come to us or what we could trade for him.

Really. I thought they had to tell me. Now I would like you to explain to me why he would want come to us and secondly how we get a contracted player. Should be interesting.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Really. I thought they had to tell me. Now I would like you to explain to me why he would want come to us and secondly how we get a contracted player. Should be interesting.
You do realise contracted players are traded to a variety of clubs....Whether they are top of the table or bottom....I think that answers both your questions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

You do realise contracted players are traded to a variety of clubs....Whether they are top of the table or bottom....I think that answers both your questions.
Yes i do realise that. Can you tell me how we get him and why he would come to us. i know it is through a trade. Love to see what people think we should trade and i also would love to know why us. The rumour is he wants to leave the Dees because they are no good.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Yes i do realise that. Can you tell me how we get him and why he would come to us. i know it is through a trade. Love to see what people think we should trade and i also would love to know why us. The rumour is he wants to leave the Dees because they are no good.
Look, I don't understand why you're being so dismissive. I could give you a multitude of reasons why he would/could be traded to the Saints. I'm pretty sure you could come up with a list as well if you weren't being so dismissive.

In terms of what we could/would offer that's up for debate. Personally I would hope we don't include our first pick in a trade scenario but perhaps it comes into play. Pick 5 (or whatever we end up with) for Frawley and their second pick (pick 20). Or somehow we get a pick around 10 through another trade and that's used for Frawley. There's many different possibilities.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Yes i do realise that. Can you tell me how we get him and why he would come to us. i know it is through a trade. Love to see what people think we should trade and i also would love to know why us. The rumour is he wants to leave the Dees because they are no good.
Look, I don't understand why you're being so dismissive. I could give you a multitude of reasons why he would/could be traded to the Saints. I'm pretty sure you could come up with a list as well if you weren't being so dismissive.

In terms of what we could/would offer that's up for debate. Personally I would hope we don't include our first pick in a trade scenario but perhaps it comes into play. Pick 5 (or whatever we end up with) for Frawley and their second pick (pick 20). Or somehow we get a pick around 10 through another trade and that's used for Frawley. There's many different possibilities.

Well i am dismissive because the reason Frawley seems to want to leave is Melbourne are no good. it seem illogical that he would then go to a club that is also no good. I could understand it if he was an interstate player or we could offer more than melbourne but neither is true. We many offer more but melbourne could match it not that they need to because he has a contract.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Tell me you are joking Con. We just got Hickey so why would we trade him and if we trade ben then we lose a player in the age group required. I still have no idea how we could get Frawley either because i see no reason he would want to come to us or what we could trade for him.

We have no selling point at the moment. Family history means jack. If it is true he wants out of Melbourne, which I probably doubt anyway, why would he go to a club that still hasnt hit the bottom. And why would we get rid of our best ruckman just to get a FB. it may solve one problem but creates even more.

Melbourne people tell me they are in survival mode where administrators are backs to the wall. It would roughly be like us in the 1980s. I spoke to a guy who played under 19s for us and choose to play WAFL instead of the offer of playing seniors because he was close mates with Rod Owen and reckons we screwed him up. When clubs are in free fall they aren't attractive.

We do have a director of footy who has runs on the board and could clearly outline a plan for a 5 year plan. Melbourne couldn't tell you who will be on the board in 5 weeks. We might not be planning on a bottom out. melbourne are on their second or third rebuild and are swapping coaches like jumpers.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Maybe he sees our club as having a brighter future than Melbourne. Maybe the comparative stability appeals to him. Maybe he sees Watters as a coach he'd like to play for. Maybe he's promised a better parking spot. Or maybe his uncle has been in his ear.

I have no inside info, other than that our club is speaking to him, so I am not ruling it in or out. You, with no inside info, seem determined to rule it out. Whatever.....

And I imagine we would get him by the standard means - a trade.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

. I spoke to a guy who played under 19s for us and choose to play WAFL instead of the offer of playing seniors because he was close mates with Rod Owen and reckons we screwed him up.

well...that is certainly true.....imhfo..... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: ....... it seem illogical that he would then go to a club that is also no good.
There's a few giant hurdles to get over, but can you imagine how Frawley would feel if he's lining up in a jumper that means so much to him and his family.

He may have already made his mind up and it may have nothing to do with logic

He may be thinking that he'll play at his best if he leaves Melbourne and he's already dreaming of being arm in arm with Roo and Dal and Chips and maybe Lenny in 2014 :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hickey was a poor trade.... Made NO sense whatsoever?!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:

. I spoke to a guy who played under 19s for us and choose to play WAFL instead of the offer of playing seniors because he was close mates with Rod Owen and reckons we screwed him up.

Rod did a fair job of screwing himself up. Our culture at the time certainly made it easier for him.

8856brother wrote:
stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:

Rod did a fair job of screwing himself up. Our culture at the time certainly made it easier for him.

He said by 16 he had a pretty fair drinking problem and no guidance - he reckons at another club he would have been with a family who watched and fed him and kept him in check but we kept him in beer and disco mode. Apparently we were hassling him to start at 15 and his old man kept him out but his old man died and he came over and went off the rails.

Also said David Grant was an awesome player and could have been a super star of the AFL at another club. Wasn't a big fan of us.

saint6709
Club Player

talking about a free walk - what is the status of T Walsh's contract ?? i know everyone is going to say ''NO WAY" but the guy could play as a monster back - and he has mates at Moorabbin ( or wherever we are)

He has had a long time in the system you would hope by about next year some of it might pay off

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Confusing statement. I would think that taylor not going to WCE would mean they have to throw some money at brown to cover for a aging glass.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Seriously I don't know what some of you are expecting if we manage to lure Brown or Frawley. We are not going to miraculously jump from 3rd bottom to 3rd top with one player. Yes we need a key back or 2, but we are also in desperate need of some quality mids. Would much rather pay the big bucks to a Dangerfield or similar ball winner that can win clearances and kick it forward to advantage. Focus on getting us in a winning position rather than minimising how much we lose by.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
suss
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Hickey was a poor trade.... Made NO sense whatsoever?!
It was odd to trade for a ruckman when we already have a good one, and we have so many gaping holes in other areas. Maybe we were banking on getting Brown at that stage, who would've filled at least one of those holes.

With that said, I think Hickey will end up being a very good player and suppose it's not a wasted pick unless he doesn't come on. I suspect he will. I also think we'll get Brown for nothing.