Nick- the internal fire... Baum Article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Nick- the internal fire... Baum Article

I found this a great read- belief....

"Nick Riewoldt: the fire still burns

Date June 8, 2013 - 8:25PM
Read later

Greg Baum

At 18, Nick Riewoldt was the shining light in a struggling St Kilda team. At 30, he still is.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Only once, in the turbulence of 2011, did his resolve waver.

"Mentally, that was a really hard year," he says. "That was the only year I felt I didn’t get the best out of myself. I think that year sticks in people’s minds."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Only once, in the turbulence of 2011, did his resolve waver.

"Mentally, that was a really hard year," he says. "That was the only year I felt I didn’t get the best out of myself. I think that year sticks in people’s minds."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"We’re doing the right thing at the moment, getting some games into young guys. It can happen really quickly. You don’t know who you’ll recruit. You don’t know which kid’s going to bob up and out of the blue become an absolute star. Hopefully, I’ll still be around when we contend again."

Over dinner last week, Thomas saw the Riewoldt flame, still burning bright.

"Nick hasn’t wavered at all," he said. "If anything, he’s willing his teammates to greater efforts. He’s saying, not on my watch are we going to capitulate. While there’s a pulse, he’ll give it everything."

In his second season, Riewoldt played a lone three-goal hand in a 99-point defeat by reigning premier Essendon, and Thomas held him up as an example to older teammates.

Twelve years, two coaches, three grand finals and so much water under the bridge later, Riewoldt remains St Kilda’s exemplar.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... z2VcjlkqLI
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 09 Jun 2013 8:35am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick- the internal fire...

Schneids did his own interview with the captain

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-06-0 ... hneiderman

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick- the internal fire... Baum Article

Legend. He says "No one wants a 30 year old".

Well we do and we love him!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Greg's article does justice to our champ. As people ponder whether to make the journey to see the Saints play today or for the rest of the year, they should do so on this basis - no matter what the result, they will see a great Saints champion in action. It is most unlikely that we will ever see the likes of him again.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Yes, Greg's article does justice to our champ. As people ponder whether to make the journey to see the Saints play today or for the rest of the year, they should do so on this basis - no matter what the result, they will see a great Saints champion in action. It is most unlikely that we will ever see the likes of him again.
We many would've said that after plugger left.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

This put s into perspective the idiotic comments on that other thread with no nothing couch potatoes questioning Roos leadership.

Noticed none of the critisising sad sacks on that thread having the balls to comment on this one.

Typical. Take pot shots at one of our greatest players of all time, our captain and a great leader, but wont man up and say how incredibly ignorant and wrong they are.

Good on you Roo. Other so called Saints supporters may try and bag and belittle you because you demand the best even when your team is 10 goals down, but I never will, you are a true champion, a loyal one club player, and one thing this dumb critics will never be, a champion footballer for the Saints and a champion person.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St.Roly
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:This put s into perspective the idiotic comments on that other thread with no nothing couch potatoes questioning Roos leadership.

Noticed none of the critisising sad sacks on that thread having the balls to comment on this one.

Typical. Take pot shots at one of our greatest players of all time, our captain and a great leader, but wont man up and say how incredibly ignorant and wrong they are.

Good on you Roo. Other so called Saints supporters may try and bag and belittle you because you demand the best even when your team is 10 goals down, but I never will, you are a true champion, a loyal one club player, and one thing this dumb critics will never be, a champion footballer for the Saints and a champion person.
Well said.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the other thread you dribble on about had some posters saying they didnt like the look of the capt going off his tits on the ground when the ball was delivered to him poorly.
nowhere did any poster question the blokes ability as a player or as one of the all time greats to put on a saints jumper.

good lord :roll:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Read the article.

Would put more faith in the writer and the footbaqll people he spoke to about Riewoldts character and leadership than some bunch of know nothing judgemental so called supporters of our club who seem to have some type of egoic vendetta towards Riewoldt.

If you place yourself in the category, thats your issue not mine.

Oh BTW to say Riewoldt "went of his tits" doesn't do you argument any justice.

The bloke busts his balls week in week out, he leads back arounf releads, backs back leads again, over and over and fkn over, quarter by quarter, game by game, season after season.

Yet we have some holier than thou experts on here who will pick one tiny incident, that by the way shows his competiotive spirit, pride in performance, and willingness to give his all, to say idiotic things like he is detrimental to the development of the younger players.

I cant help the astounding ignorance of many on here, but I wont let this low brow stupidy go unchallenged.

And we all saw your undeifying and embarrassing response when I did.

At least you have had the gonads to respond on this thread, which i give you credit for. Cant see anyone else who was scathing of Riewoldt to saddle up when an article shows how hopelessly wrong they are.

They talk of Riewoldts character and this thread shows theirs.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)