I took banned drug: Watson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I took banned drug: Watson

Essendon captain Jobe Watson has admitted for the first time that he believes he was administered the banned drug AOD 9604

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... z2X8yKJm7O

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: I took banned drug: Watson

A strange admission

WADA is consistent in saying ignorance is not a defense.... He was taking a drug, and it was illegal?!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

They.........Are f***ed.

class of 2010
Club Player

IF there are no player sanctions to come out of this I will have lost total faith in not only the AFL but sport in general. In one sentence Watson admits to being administered with the illegal drug, and in the next says he doesn't expect any player sanctions. Absolute farce if thats the advice he's being given by the AFL. I've never been one to cry foul over prejudicial treatment in the AFL but can only imagine the sanctions to have been handed out if it had been us injecting. The club and its players have brought the game into disrepute and Jobe has tarnished the Charlie, player sanctions should be in line with the WADA/ASADA code. 6 months minimum for every player at the club last year. BJ and new draftees take on

oh when the saints
noddy
Club Player

Do you think this is an honest admission or a calculated move on Essendon's part to change the narrative (from 'we did nothing wrong' to 'we were lied to')?

Nah, Watson doesn't have that kind of integrity. This is all a part of the club's PR campaign.

Image In Richo we trust.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I cannot fathom how he thinks the players will not be sanctioned, especially if there is starting to be a drip feed of admissions McVeigh. And now him.

Where does the Brownlow win fit into all of this?

This will not be a case of don't blame us, blame Dank, it will be a case of you took it, you broke the drug code.

Of course that's not to say the Afl and Dimwit try and get them off.

So common Asada, do the righting by the sporting world and whack all of them hard.

St Loxton
Club Player

So the brownlow is for the leagues "best and fairest", he may have been the best in 2012 but definatley not the fairest ( in the case of illegal suppliment injections ).
Technally he could/should lose the Charlie.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:Do you think this is an honest admission or a calculated move on Essendon's part to change the narrative (from 'we did nothing wrong' to 'we were lied to')?

Nah, Watson doesn't have that kind of integrity. This is all a part of the club's PR campaign.
correct.

And they are prob after a 6 month sanction in the off season.

Hopefully WADA and the AFL will not have a bar of that and make it in season. Unless they are corrupt.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell joint Browlow winners??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:Do you think this is an honest admission or a calculated move on Essendon's part to change the narrative (from 'we did nothing wrong' to 'we were lied to')?

It sure is, they know what's coming and this is an attempt to minimise the damage in terms of penalties and to reduce the damage on their brand.

There is no way these players should avoid bans, but I am sure demetriou will find away to prevent bans, he will just bury his head even further in the sand

I love this club
busso mick
Club Player

Lets remember Shane Warne got 12 months suspension for taking a diuretic over 10 years ago. I wonder what slap on the wrist Essendon will have to endure?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i think he meant to say legal

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Asada will determine the sanctions not the AFL. The AFL can decide to lay their own sanctions ie bringing the game in to disrepute if they want to , but it is up to ASADA to hand out sanctions for taking banned substances.

Unfortunately, Essendon have brainwashed their players that they are innocent, Essendon have also brainwashed all sponsors and supporters that they are innocent. Hec look how the press have been pumping up the "great performances under such duress" angle.

I think they are in deep shiiite, and the players are just little puppets. Dumb little puppets who believe anything, even that if you say you have taken a banned substance you still havent done anything wrong.

Disappointed this is under the Essendope thread, was looking forward to that one breaking all records

mullet
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:Lets remember Shane Warne got 12 months suspension for taking a diuretic over 10 years ago. I wonder what slap on the wrist Essendon will have to endure?
Jamaican woman sprinter campbell=brown just got done for taking diuretic she is looking at 2 years

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote:Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell joint Browlow winners??
Wasn't Mitchell ineligible?? Or was that 2011??

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Asada will determine the sanctions not the AFL. The AFL can decide to lay their own sanctions ie bringing the game in to disrepute if they want to , but it is up to ASADA to hand out sanctions for taking banned substances.

Unfortunately, Essendon have brainwashed their players that they are innocent, Essendon have also brainwashed all sponsors and supporters that they are innocent. Hec look how the press have been pumping up the "great performances under such duress" angle.

I think they are in deep shiiite, and the players are just little puppets. Dumb little puppets who believe anything, even that if you say you have taken a banned substance you still havent done anything wrong.

Disappointed this is under the Essendope thread, was looking forward to that one breaking all records

I'm getting a little technical here; The AFL, through the AFL Tribunal will determine the sanctions, BUT the sanctions MUST meet the approval of ASADA/WADA !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not sure demetriou will be happy with his admission.

How's he supposed to get the broom out now?

If Melbourne were fined 500k and two employees stood down as a result of brocks OTC admission, when previous to that nothing was going to happen, what's this mean for TFS dons?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I watched the interview, and what Watson said wasn't a frank admission, or a staged set up by Essendon.

He was talking quite casually about it, but did keep repeating the obvious mantra that 'I/we didn't do anything wrong'.

However when asked directly if he took that drug he said that he did, then when asked what he felt when ASADA came out and said it was banned, he said he was shocked.

I think at that point, he may have realised that he'd put his foot in it.

Clearly though, Essendon players were being pumped full of all sorts of stuff, and I believe were genuinely told by the club that it was all legal.

Watson seems to believe (or wants to believe) that that means he didn't do anything wrong.

In the eyes of the public, he probably didn't. But I think in the eyes of ASADA he has.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
He was ineligible in 2011

Just went to wiki brownlow 2012 and someone has edited in the words drug xheat where Watson is referenced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Brownlow_Medal

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My wife works with people close to Essendon footy club and they believe that there will be no penalty. Their legal team is extremely confident. It wasn't banned according to them and they will fight this in court and have the back up of blaming it all on Dank. AFL has a fight on their hands to even fight this in court. A nominal fine is all I'm thinking will come from it.

It was meant to be legal according to the ASADA website at the time.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I watched the interview, and what Watson said wasn't a frank admission, or a staged set up by Essendon.

He was talking quite casually about it, but did keep repeating the obvious mantra that 'I/we didn't do anything wrong'.

However when asked directly if he took that drug he said that he did, then when asked what he felt when ASADA came out and said it was banned, he said he was shocked.

Clearly though, Essendon players were being pumped full of all sorts of stuff, and I believe were genuinely told by the club that it was all legal.

Watson seems to believe (or wants to believe) that that means he didn't do anything wrong.

In the eyes of the public, he probably didn't. But I think in the eyes of ASADA he has.
In my eyes he has?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

There has to be a penalty, unless there is an official document somewhere from WADA or ASADA categorically saying the drugs they took were legal.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
St Chris wrote:
He was ineligible in 2011

Just went to wiki brownlow 2012 and someone has edited in the words drug xheat where Watson is referenced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Brownlow_Medal
Crikey they are quick - it has now been changed to more savoury wording
Last edited by Devilhead on Tue 25 Jun 2013 10:32am, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Clearly though, Essendon players were being pumped full of all sorts of stuff, and I believe were genuinely told by the club that it was all legal.

Bit like saying you bought a new tv from a guy in a pub car park and you thought it was legit... said he had receipts and everything.

There's no way ignorance can be any sort of defence here.

Surely.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I watched the interview, and what Watson said wasn't a frank admission, or a staged set up by Essendon.

In my eyes he has?

Yeah, poor choice of words. What I meant was that some/most people would accept the defence of 'I have a signed document from a doctor saying that this is legal so I took it' - whereas ASADA don't.

My understanding is that it is very simple - if you took something illegal, then you're in deep s***. Full stop.