Rising Star nomination...who's next?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Rising Star nomination...who's next?

So..who do we think is going to be our next nomination?? Our record in this area really does reflect the state of our list atm

Ill make the call..I dont think any of our current kids will get one this year and Im afraid thats a fail for mine if were to minimise the pain

Easy to say "they arent high picks"..but plenty of nominees arent...

Really need one of our kids to be showing that sort of form..judges against his peers...and sadly they arent.

I think its an indictment of our recent recruiting that we get over excited about a 15 possession game

Thoughts?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rising Star nomination...who's next?

:cry: have to concur I'm afraid

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
noddy04
Club Player

There are so many young lads making their debuts this year across the whole AFL. I would really like to see any one of our young ones get a nomination but the way some of the guys nominated are going it seems our guys arent up to it. Wouldnt we love an OMeara or Ollie Wines on our list. These guys are just guns

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

We have to just suck up the pain at the minute, bottle it, and prepare to see our next crop of talented youngsters come through. I'm gutted to think that Lenny Hayes, and possibly Roo, Joey and Dal will not wear a premiership medallion, as seems likely now. However we always need to remember the CLUB must always come first. Rising star nominations may well come a lot sooner than we hope!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
lloyd21
Club Player

Wright

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Not with the current crop. I'd like to dream that spencer White will burst onto the scene next year and have a game where he just breaks out and kicks a bag .. and I will keep dreaming until its no longer achievable.

Its very hard to shine in a bottom 4 team unless you are an absolute star. Maybe our first draft pick next year will be that star that we haven't had since the likes of Rooey, Ball, BJ and the like.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Wright

Agree !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Agree !!
Maybe, but since his broken jaw he's dropped away a lot.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
savatage
SS Life Member

He's played 2 games since then? One of which he left the field injured. Harsh judge mate!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Agree !!
As do I...

spot on
Club Player

I think there are a few players , like Ross newnes wright Murdock and Webster . But they really need a break out game of 25 possession to really get a nod. Those guys are all looking like desent players thou so
It's not the end if they don't

matrix
Saintsational Legend

prob pick 3 or 4 or whatever we get next year

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:So..who do we think is going to be our next nomination?? Our record in this area really does reflect the state of our list atm

Ill make the call..I dont think any of our current kids will get one this year and Im afraid thats a fail for mine if were to minimise the pain

Easy to say "they arent high picks"..but plenty of nominees arent...

Really need one of our kids to be showing that sort of form..judges against his peers...and sadly they arent.

I think its an indictment of our recent recruiting that we get over excited about a 15 possession game

Thoughts?

Good thread. I don't see anyone this year either... Kids are playing but anything outstanding has yet to be seen.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

A real question.
Was the 'Rising Star' award going when Lenny started?
And if so, did he get a nomination?

How about Dal, Joey, X, Goose, Ball and BJ? Did they all get a nomination?
I'm just trying to establish if we are putting too great an emphasis on earning a 'nomination' in trying to predict if a player is going to 'make it' or not?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:A real question.
Was the 'Rising Star' award going when Lenny started?
And if so, did he get a nomination?

How about Dal, Joey, X, Goose, Ball and BJ? Did they all get a nomination?
I'm just trying to establish if we are putting too great an emphasis on earning a 'nomination' in trying to predict if a player is going to 'make it' or not?
Yes, all but Dal and Goose.

Lenny in Round 22, 1999. Clarke in Round 7, 2002. Ball in Round 2, 2003. BJ Round 7, 2003. Joey Round 20, 2003.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wright deserved one IMO and Seb Ross had a very good game or two. Some of the nominations this year have been very underwhelming but are seen easier outside 4.40 sunday games.

Jaeger O Meara should walk it in any way. Freak player and looks like a once in a generation type. I thought Dion Prestia might still be in contention -he got something like 43 possessions last week. Although Jaeger was declared the best midfielder ever by Tim Watson so he probably will be delisted in three years. Didn't he say something similar about Caydyn Beetham and the one he said was a future captain who went to Adelaide after the Bali bombings?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Wright deserved one IMO and Seb Ross had a very good game or two. Some of the nominations this year have been very underwhelming but are seen easier outside 4.40 sunday games.

Jaeger O Meara should walk it in any way. Freak player and looks like a once in a generation type. I thought Dion Prestia might still be in contention -he got something like 43 possessions last week. Although Jaeger was declared the best midfielder ever by Tim Watson so he probably will be delisted in three years. Didn't he say something similar about Caydyn Beetham and the one he said was a future captain who went to Adelaide after the Bali bombings?

Yep its the 4.40 games for sure. The young players we have played do not deserve a nomination yet. We look at things through one eye. Its amazing how some do that. Wright is the closest but still as yet doesnt deserve a nomination. Ross is way off a nomination. No idea why you mentioned Watson and O Meara.

savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Wright deserved one IMO and Seb Ross had a very good game or two. Some of the nominations this year have been very underwhelming but are seen easier outside 4.40 sunday games.

Watson described caydn beetham as a cross between Leigh Matthews and Robert Harvey!