Josh Saunders 11 possies and a goal in 1st half!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Josh Saunders 11 possies and a goal in 1st half!

Business class on the way back :cool:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Saunders 11 possies and a goal in 1st half!

He's made a few blues, but at least he is in there when the ball is in dispute.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He looks to be a player. Needs a preseason or two.

Has natural strength and will be a monster. Hard at it.

If he gets another hand full in the second half he should get a rising f****** star.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
savatage
SS Life Member

He has a red hot dip.

He will make mistakes but his good outdoes the bad.

Agreed, couple of solid pre seasons and he will be a goodun.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

savatage wrote:He has a red hot dip.

He will make mistakes but his good outdoes the bad.

Agreed, couple of solid pre seasons and he will be a goodun.
Yes and has genuine speed!

Richter
SS Life Member

Newnes and Murdoch done ok too. Shows the value of getting these early games in to these boys.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Very happy with this guys endeavour...like the way all the young blokes took the game on today.

Nee!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saunders newnes ross and wright are already miles better than ledger cripps and Crocker will ever be.

Seriously that John Peake guy was a saboteur .
How could he possibly have been so totally s***.

lloyd21
Club Player

What about Murdoch's game fantastic give these guys 2 years without injury and they will be on our way back.
Another 6 kids this year , should have 3 great picks to start with .

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:What about Murdoch's game fantastic give these guys 2 years without injury and they will be on our way back.
Yep. I love Bull Murdoch
Tony eshaugh thumbs up.
I love all our young players.
They are tough and skilled and have footy smarts.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:What about Murdoch's game fantastic give these guys 2 years without injury and they will be on our way back.
Yep. I love Bull Murdoch
Tony eshaugh thumbs up.
I love all our young players.
They are tough and skilled and have footy smarts.
Yeah we seem to be uncovering a new breed of players with a similar profile...solid, tough and hard at it. Skill look good on most of them as well. No wonder they aren't running games out. Maybe we are finally getting the recruiting right.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He does dispell the myth that young players have an excuse to be soft!

He is as hard as a cats head

His skills are scrappy, but not deplorable.... Like Steven

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:He does dispell the myth that young players have an excuse to be soft!

He is as hard as a cats head

His skills are scrappy, but not deplorable.... Like Steven

Aye ...?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There have been players, who weren't fans of physical contact.... But apparently age was the reason.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Never heard that ever. Made up story by someone better than Enid Blyton. Looked good today like most of the kids. Fine effort and it helps that Lenny played. A moron retired Lenny after round one last year and he won the B&F. Luckily our club knows more than the moron.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I love Saunders- I remember watching his highlight reel when we drafted him and thinking there was some Joel Selwood mixed with Steve Johnson there. Another good product from the Falcons.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I love Saunders- I remember watching his highlight reel when we drafted him and thinking there was some Joel Selwood mixed with Steve Johnson there. Another good product from the Falcons.
You don't put number 35 on just anyone......well, Cripps excepted!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Isn't he a DUD like Jack Stevens?
:shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Never heard that ever. Made up story by someone better than Enid Blyton. Looked good today like most of the kids. Fine effort and it helps that Lenny played. A moron retired Lenny after round one last year and he won the B&F. Luckily our club knows more than the moron.
BS

I think had Lenny wanted to retire at the end of 2012 it probable would'nt have been a mistake or a wrong decision if the footy club allowed him to bow out on a high. I said - "allowed him to bow out."

After winning a B&F you have to pay respect to his efforts. Hard to ask a bloke who won the B&F to retire...but if you think about it, Lenny has struggled this year and it will be even harder for him to contribute consistently on the field next year.

It wouldn't have slowed the progress of the playing group this year or been a negative on the playing group would it? In fact it would mean that a young bloke get's a few more opportunities and a few extra games that Lenny would have otherwise played.

As far as being a great teacher and mentor...well he can always be an assistant coach can't he?. Even champions have a use by date.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Never heard that ever. Made up story by someone better than Enid Blyton. Looked good today like most of the kids. Fine effort and it helps that Lenny played. A moron retired Lenny after round one last year and he won the B&F. Luckily our club knows more than the moron.
BS

I think had Lenny wanted to retire at the end of 2012 it probable would'nt have been a mistake or a wrong decision if the footy club allowed him to bow out on a high. I said - "allowed him to bow out."

After winning a B&F you have to pay respect to his efforts. Hard to ask a bloke who won the B&F to retire...but if you think about it, Lenny has struggled this year and it will be even harder for him to contribute consistently on the field next year.

It wouldn't have slowed the progress of the playing group this year or been a negative on the playing group would it? In fact it would mean that a young bloke get's a few may games that Lenny would have otherwise played.

As far as being a great teacher and mentor...well he can always be an assistant coach can't he?. Even champions have a use by date.

One of the great hindsight posts. So we knew he would struggle this year. You make little actually no sense at all. these people who think losing great mids helsp other kids just dont understand how the game is played today. you basically can never have enough mids and the saints certainly dont have enough. As for becoming an assistant coach that means stuff all on the ground. I value your basic thoughts though.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Back on Saunders, this guy is a genuine midfielder. He really hunts the ball in congested spaces, has plenty of pace and courage. Along with Wright and Newnes, we can pencil this guy in for a solid career with the Saints. I was very optimistic about this guy from his U18 highlights and to me has shown more than Ross and Webster, who most people are impressed with. Keep Saunders in for the next few weeks.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
One of the great hindsight posts. So we knew he would struggle this year. You make little actually no sense at all. these people who think losing great mids helsp other kids just dont understand how the game is played today. you basically can never have enough mids and the saints certainly dont have enough. As for becoming an assistant coach that means stuff all on the ground. I value your basic thoughts though.
Hindsight my arse. Even KB, Tuck and Robert Harvey had to retire at some stage

One of the main reasons that banger kept going was because of the elusive flag...we are not about to challenge in 2014 or 2015 are we? Crawford could have kept going in 2009...Ling could have possibly gone again in 2012...but it's in the interest of the development of team that some blokes bow out on a high and not wait until they are struggling to get on the park with old man injuries

Not saying that Lenny isn't good enough to go round again in 2014...but is it in the best interests of the team going forward and the on field development of the mids? No it isn't!!!

Saunders and others need the experience in the heat of the battle in the seniors - not at Sandy

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saunders is tough as

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hindsight my arse. Even KB, Tuck and Robert Harvey had to retire at some stage

One of the main reasons that banger kept going was because of the elusive flag...we are not about to challenge in 2014 or 2015 are we? Crawford could have kept going in 2009...Ling could have possibly gone again in 2012...but it's in the interest of the development of team that some blokes bow out on a high and not wait until they are struggling to get on the park with old man injuries

Not saying that Lenny isn't good enough to go round again in 2014...but is it in the best interests of the team going forward and the on field development of the mids? No it isn't!!!

Saunders and others need the experience in the heat of the battle in the seniors - not at Sandy
completely in stkfc interests fro Lenny to go round again.
Otherwise we end up developing like Melbourne with no senior players to lead.
All younger players stood up today, i wonder why?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm all for Lenny going around next year for several reasons but the main one being Lenny is a special case.

But I'm really tiring of people saying we need to keep all our ageing players because we don't want to be like Melbourne.
Firstly Melbourne are s*** for a whole host of reasons . Way too many to try and list or analyse here .

But really this 'fear' is totally unfounded . There is no way we are going to suddenly find ourselves without experience next year even if we tried it is impossible.

Can I just remind you of how many old or experienced players we have on our list .

Lenny
Milney
Roo
Kosi
Nds
Joey
Fisher
Dempster
Gwilt
Gilbo
Schneider
Ray
Geary

That is 13 old or experienced players.
So the idea of us all of a sudden having no experience is crap.
Sure keep Lenny because he's Lenny and deserves another year but don't throw up this Melbourne excuse as a reason.

Let's look at our list - we have too many small fwd and mid sized defenders and not enough midfielders .

On that logic I'd keep Lenny dal and joey but I think SOME of fisher dempster gilbo Schneider and Gwilt are tradable.
Milne and kosi are retiring. Ray is just a GOP so probably neither here nor there.