Possible trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Possible trade

Would anyone do this

Keep pick 3 - not negotiable. We must use this on a mid.

Trade pick 22 plus one of (Gwilt Gilbo or Seany D) for a top 10 pick.

Then we have two top 10 picks to use on young gun midfielders.

Then we pick up Mitch Brown late in draft or in the pre season draft

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possible trade

Why would anyone give us pick 10 for any of those guys even with pick 22 included? I would love you to explain that.

older saint
SS Life Member

Sean D all Australian last year has had injuries this year with a backline lacking leadership he cannot be traded . Only one in that group with would be considered by other clubs.
Gilbo - Value down with injury one year too late
Gwilt - poor today although again leadership down back is required from someone.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Would anyone do this

Mitch Brown wont nominate for either draft. He will either re-sign with WCE or get shopped around for a trade. I seriously doubt he will be with us next year - unless we pay overs. WCE will ask for our 2nd round pick - I suspect we will package up our 2nd pick with some other exchange of picks eg our 2nd & 4th pick for Brown and their 3rd pick (which would still be overs in my book). But like I said, I have my doubts he will be playing for us next year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Kiedis
Club Player

Don't know if that'd do it but I'd be prepared to give up something for another top 10..

This is the sort of proactivity we need if we're too rise again.

That pick 3/4 looks nice but I, like many, believe we need at least 2 top 10 picks to really get this thing moving..

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Kiedis wrote:

Don't know if that'd do it but I'd be prepared to give up something for another top 10..

This is the sort of proactivity we need if we're too rise again.

That pick 3/4 looks nice but I, like many, believe we need at least 2 top 10 picks to really get this thing moving..
Correct. To get another top 10 we need to give up a player with currency. People wont like it but thats the price of trading.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
kimberly saint
Club Player

Is this a stupid idea ???? i would go hard for pick 1 / boyd , offer GWS our pick 3or4 with del for there pick 1 and there second round.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Sean D all Australian last year has had injuries this year with a backline lacking leadership he cannot be traded . Only one in that group with would be considered by other clubs.
Gwilt - poor today although again leadership down back is required from someone.
We need to step back and look at our list objectively.
We have way too many middle sized defenders and nowhere enough quality midfielders.
In case you hadn't noticed we are third bottom.
The status quo is unacceptable for me .
Our list is terribly unbalanced .
The yeah but yeah but yeah but resistance to change will keep us as bottom 2 or 3 .
If people are happy with where we are at then cool keep our list as is.
I'm not happy being bottom.

kimberly saint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
older saint wrote:Sean D all Australian last year has had injuries this year with a backline lacking leadership he cannot be traded . Only one in that group with would be considered by other clubs.
We have way too many middle sized defenders and nowhere enough quality midfielders.
The yeah but yeah but yeah but resistance to change will keep us as bottom 2 or 3 .

i think people are open to trading gilbo and gwilt but people think they hold value than they do

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt, Hayes, Steven are the only ones which I would consider untouchable if any kind of top 10 pick was floated… however, I don't think we have anything else to bring in a pick like that.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

News Flash for Con..

This is a Fan Forum, it doesn't make decisions for the club, it just comments on them..

Lets see what the club does post season

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 22 plus a Dal santo/Montagna might get us a Top 10

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We don't need more picks, we need to trade for a class key defender and draft as many fast mids as we can.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

If we trade Dal or Monty, we show that we are kicking out the heart of the Club and what does that say to the younger guys, sponsors and many supporters? They have given a lot and that's what you build Club integrity around. I hope that loyalty still counts for something, despite the "anything goes" as long as we reach the top thinking. It will be years before we seriously challenge again and that can't be "fast tracked."

kimberly saint
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:If we trade Dal or Monty, we show that we are kicking out the heart of the Club and what does that say to the younger guys, sponsors and many supporters? They have given a lot and that's what you build Club integrity around. I hope that loyalty still counts for something, despite the "anything goes" as long as we reach the top thinking. It will be years before we seriously challenge again and that can't be "fast tracked."
this is very true but wat happens if both parties decide its good idea palyer long term contract ,pay increase chance at flag at new club etc. club get high pick or young player .

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Kimberley Saint said :
"this is very true but wat happens if both parties decide its good idea palyer long term contract ,pay increase chance at flag at new club etc. club get high pick or young player ."

You have a point there, if it's a "joint decision." At this level, if a player does not have his heart in it, then parting ways may be of benefit to both. It's using them as Trade Bait, that doesn't sit well with me.

Kiedis
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:If we trade Dal or Monty, we show that we are kicking out the heart of the Club and what does that say to the younger guys, sponsors and many supporters? They have given a lot and that's what you build Club integrity around. I hope that loyalty still counts for something, despite the "anything goes" as long as we reach the top thinking. It will be years before we seriously challenge again and that can't be "fast tracked."
I'm not keen on trading Dal or Monty. I too would like to think loyalty still counts for something.

& like you say, they're ingrained in the fiber of the club.

But on the same token, I'm not comfortable sitting on our hands (& I suspect neither are Watters or Pelchen "it is important we don't let the draft dictate to us.." etc etc)

Do we really just sit back & let the 're-build takes years & years' mantra dictate how long we're gonna be down for?

Proactive & inspired moves/deals are struck every year by clubs. Why can't we?

We all acknowledge we desperately, desperately need A-grade talent in the midfield.

Surely we should try our damn hardest to snare a couple of picks that give us the best chance at bringing in exactly that.

Are we content at the end of this downright shithouse season to put all our hopes into the 1 prized pick? That may not even live up to the potential in the end?

Then 1 more the year after.

I know we could get lucky with some later gems, but beyond the top 10 it gets pretty bloody speculative..

I want us to try our absolute best to ensure we get the cream. This is make or break stuff for our future.

It also shapes just exactly who we are as a side when we do emerge again. An almost good enough side. Or a premiership side. Or hey, an absolute unstoppable dynasty ala Geelong..

But therein lies the question. What would get it done? Who is expendable? Surely a club where we're at - most are.

So what gets it done..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:We don't need more picks, we need to trade for a class key defender and draft as many fast mids as we can.
So we need to draft fast mids but we don't need better picks ?
Makes sense .
And trading for a classy defender sounds terrific but good luck with that.
No club will trade out a classy defender.
We already wasted last year chasing a contracted player and didn't get him and he's a 2nds player so yeah fat chance of trading for a classy young key defender.

The best way to get good players at our club is via high draft picks. Sure the draft ain't no guarantee to success but its better than any other method .
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 08 Jul 2013 1:17am, edited 3 times in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Loyalty was there in 2009?

Sainter93
Club Player

One thing we can not do right now is trade away defenders...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't trade out nds or dal.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainter93 wrote:One thing we can not do right now is trade away defenders...
But they are all the same.

We have too many middle defenders and too many small fwds who can't play midfield.

Schneider was the great hope for being able to step into the mids but it looks like that will never happen.

Maybe Schneider can go small defender guerra style

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sainter93 wrote:One thing we can not do right now is trade away defenders...
But they are all the same.

We have too many middle defenders and too many small fwds who can't play midfield.

Schneider was the great hope for being able to step into the mids but it looks like that will never happen.

Maybe Schneider can go small defender guerra style
Getting Schneider on the ground would be a major achievement. Especially with the Western Bulldogs reject at the throne,who believes in the remedy of tea leaves and burning wattle tree branches and inhaling the smoke as remedies to soft tissue injuries

Bring back the Lockett era
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am not so sure about Dal. He i playing as if he does not want to be here next season.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Trade Gwilt for McPharlin. We need a decent defender.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!