Dermott Brereton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dermott Brereton

Reckons SW coached really well.

Discuss

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dermott Brereton

Also reckons Jack Steven is a gun, and says his ability to work inside and out reminds him of Judd.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

He is great mates with SW. Not going to say anything against him

Sobraz
SS Life Member

But Ross Lyon is the best coach in the AFL?!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Got to be happy with SW's coaching against one of the better coaches in the game. Look at what respective coach had to work with. Freo up and about playing for a top 4 position and Saints with an age average of 22 odd.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:He is great mates with SW. Not going to say anything against him
He's never been one to p1ss down ones back either so I'd like to think it's a positive comment.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:
mullet wrote:He is great mates with SW. Not going to say anything against him
He's never been one to p1ss down ones back either so I'd like to think it's a positive comment.
Dermie gets it right more often than not despite his media persona and people hating him because they wish they were him.

Jack Steven is becoming ridiculously good too...

Rosco
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Got to be happy with SW's coaching against one of the better coaches in the game. Look at what respective coach had to work with. Freo up and about playing for a top 4 position and Saints with an age average of 22 odd.
average age was a bit under 25, but young for us.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/game ... 30707.html scroll down

when was the last time we played a game without roo, fish and milne?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Got to be happy with SW's coaching against one of the better coaches in the game. Look at what respective coach had to work with. Freo up and about playing for a top 4 position and Saints with an age average of 22 odd.

thought I'd heard today it was the first time since 2001 that either of Milne and Roo hasn't been in the team..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:

Cheers. I think our 25 had an age average of a little less. I guess with Hayes coming back in and a few of the younger kids from the 25 not playing it brought the average up.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Re: Saints effort v's Freo/ Lyon

Looking beyond the scoreboard for a sec l was impressed with the way the Saints played together for much of the game. Intensity and commitment was there and time spent in the lead reflected a lot of good play. Before the game l was pretty pessimistic not expecting much that could challenge the Lyon game-plan. I thought the team looked much better across all three zones (defence , midfield and up forward). I cant help thinking this team is still in transition and adjusting to sudden injections of new talent. The likes of Denis Lane, Tom Lee, Nath Wright, R.Stanley, A.Saad plus the inclusions of the very recent Murdoch looked like good stuff all round. The fact that Lee came back into the side with much better results is a good sign i think. Raw skill looked good but i still thought at 3 Qrt time the Freeo maturity would get them over the line.
I think SW and the players he is coaching are going in the right direction. Interesting to see them function well without Rooey and S.Gilbert.
I really hope Lee can back it up next time and start building on the belief that he can really influence every game from now on.
Some of the young fellas like Saunders are having a good go at it and they are probably starting to see what SW is telling them they can do.

YES YOU CAN ! YES YOU CAN !

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The rebuild is going along OK, it's just very slow, as long as it's not like Melbourne's where we have to rebuild the rebuild, constantly, then, I can wait patiently for it come around again.

I don't think I can wait through a long 1971 to 1997 era again though, time is of the essence for some of us... :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hallelujah! Finally Jack Steven gets some validation. Even our own coach gets his name wrong :)

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dermott loves the Saints. No two ways about it.
Almost an honorary Saint.

Gerard Healey loves us as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Dermott loves the Saints. No two ways about it.

Con i can honestly say he cant stand the saints. His best mate Chris Wittman played for us and Dermott has said many times how poor we were as a club which we were back then but it still carries on today. has no respect for us at a club at all. he is mates with SW. That is the only reason he would be saying anything positive about us at the moment.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Con i can honestly say he cant stand the saints. His best mate Chris Wittman played for us and Dermott has said many times how poor we were as a club which we were back then but it still carries on today. has no respect for us at a club at all. he is mates with SW. That is the only reason he would be saying anything positive about us at the moment.
thought that was the case

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Absolutely correct about Derm having no respect for our club but absolutely not correct with regards to his friendship with SW being the only reason we would be saying anything positive about us at the moment.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Can I ask about the gameplan.

Simplistically (as is most of my football analysis) seems that Watters wants us to use our pace and skills to score fast goals of the rebound, or if the opposition has a zone structure set up to switch the play.

If the rebound football is based on turnover, am I correct in believing that with the kids bodies maturing and causing more turnover with pressure that the gameplan will start to take shape over the course of the next season or two?

A bit like the Malthouse gameplan for Collingwood. Lambasted by most supporters for three or four years until it came all together in 2010 when they were virtually unbeatable and 2011 when McGuire wrecked the season with his personality clash with Malthouse.

Am I on the right track? last Sunday it seemed the in close style Lyon likes to play suited what Watters is trying to implement and we saw the results and the plan even with a bunch of kids implementing it.

Or as usual am I way off beam?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Can I ask about the gameplan.

Simplistically (as is most of my football analysis) seems that Watters wants us to use our pace and skills to score fast goals of the rebound, or if the opposition has a zone structure set up to switch the play.

If the rebound football is based on turnover, am I correct in believing that with the kids bodies maturing and causing more turnover with pressure that the gameplan will start to take shape over the course of the next season or two?

A bit like the Malthouse gameplan for Collingwood. Lambasted by most supporters for three or four years until it came all together in 2010 when they were virtually unbeatable and 2011 when McGuire wrecked the season with his personality clash with Malthouse.

Am I on the right track? last Sunday it seemed the in close style Lyon likes to play suited what Watters is trying to implement and we saw the results and the plan even with a bunch of kids implementing it.

Or as usual am I way off beam?
Actually I think you might be spot on if I understood what Dermott was explaining. He was more or less saying that the SW game plan countered the Ross Lyon game plan perfectly and only unfortunately the players run out of puff in the end. There are more and more experts in the media coming out and giving SW a pat on the back. I think we have got a good coach.

Kernal75
Club Player

Coaches need time to develop the team / gameplan in exactly the same way players need time to mature. I think SW is going ok with effectively a bag of nails as a list. Give hinm some time and more mature players then lets judge him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:The rebuild is going along OK, it's just very slow...
Slow? Less than two years ago we played a final, last year we finished ninth. If you think this is "slow" then maybe close your eyes, we've got a few more likely years down the bottom yet.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I think we're heading for a good place.

Richter
SS Life Member

Yep. Definitely pleased that Scott's coaching is showing some progress. I guess along with the younger players he too is developing. Let's hope that he can continue to mature along with te new generation of players... aiming for 2016/17 return to glory?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think the other positive that is surfacing in SWs coaching is that the players and in particular the younger players look like they are playing for the coach. I think some credit has to go to SW with regards to the hardness at the contest that the new guys are willing to show as soon as they are given a game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I think the other positive that is surfacing in SWs coaching is that the players and in particular the younger players look like they are playing for the coach. I think some credit has to go to SW with regards to the hardness at the contest that the new guys are willing to show as soon as they are given a game.

Why wasnt that written last week. footy is such a week to week thing. Im unsure genalisations like that can have factual basis behind it especially after only 3 wins for the year.