Watters "Clear headed"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Watters "Clear headed"

about dp #1, at his presser today

Now that could mean anything, but he did not rule out the possibility of trading for it.

trading will be a real interesting time this year.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters "Clear headed"

what did he say

I love this club
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:about dp #1, at his presser today

Now that could mean anything, but he did not rule out the possibility of trading for it.

We've been reported to be one of the clubs in talks with GWS about acquiring pick 1. Personally I don't like this path. As BM has said a number of times, pick 1 does not mean the best player from the draft. As we know pick 1 equals Tom Boyd and tall's often do not live up to their expectations whereas midfielders are a surer bet. Instead of paying overs (example McEvoy and pick 3) I'd get best available at pick 3 and take a punt on tall timber later in the draft. I'd be looking at trading for pick 1 if we didn't have a top 5 selection up our sleeve but we are in a strong position as it is, why get greedy?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What could we possibly give them to get pick one. I'm thinking Nick Riewoldt just purely from a marketing perspective the rest we would need to give up our next best 5 players to even tempt them. Montagna is excellent still but on the wrong side of the age bracket, Dal is going like a second rounder, Fisher hasn't been able to get on the park, Gilbo played about 2 good games then did a knee. Armo and Steven would be stupid as they are the core once the old boys go which leaves only Mc Evoy and he isn't a number one pick in my estimation. If they take that I would do the deal. Maybe they are talking pick 3 packaged with big Mac? for the number 1 pick. I would leave it as we have it myself, still get our pick of quality mids.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:What could we possibly give them to get pick one. I'm thinking Nick Riewoldt just purely from a marketing perspective the rest we would need to give up our next best 5 players to even tempt them. Montagna is excellent still but on the wrong side of the age bracket, Dal is going like a second rounder, Fisher hasn't been able to get on the park, Gilbo played about 2 good games then did a knee. Armo and Steven would be stupid as they are the core once the old boys go which leaves only Mc Evoy and he isn't a number one pick in my estimation. If they take that I would do the deal. Maybe they are talking pick 3 packaged with big Mac? for the number 1 pick. I would leave it as we have it myself, still get our pick of quality mids.
I honestly reckon we would have to give up something extraordinary like McEvoy + Steven or McEvoy + pick 3. As you mentioned, players such as Dal Santo, Montagna and Fisher just don't ft the age demographic GWS are after. Gilbo would be perfect for their needs however he alone is a second rounder at best and would need to be packaged with McEvoy or pick 3 with a few other swaps of later picks.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

What if we were thinking of trading say Dal and McEvoy for pick 1, and picking up say Aish and Scharenburg (or whatever two top mids).

How would that sit with people?

Or Dal and Gilbo (or Dal in some other combo)???

Everyone keeps looking at Boyd for the number one, but what if we're concocting a way to get the top two mids in this years draft? What if we constructed a deal with (assuming we get pick 3 and GWS get pick 1) whoever gets pick 2 that they get Boyd, and we get pick 1 & 3, but we don't take Boyd with pick 1?

There's more than one way to skin a cat......

Example : We send Dal & pick 3 to Melb, and Gilbo to GWS and Melbourne give us a pick two, send a ruckman to GWS (pick one of plenty they have). GWS give us pick 1, and we allow Boyd to go to dees at pick 3.

GWS Get GIlbo and a decent ruck for pick 1, Dees get Dal and Boyd for a decent ruck and, and we get two gun young mids for Dal and Gilbo.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dal and gilbo hey
hmmm

blimey thats tempting

keep mcevoy imo

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Talk of trading McEvoy surprises me.

He's finally starting to show glimpses as his body develops - yet we're looking to offload him?

You rarely put 4-5 years into a player and just as they hit what you expect to be the period of their career when you get repaid - then give them the flick!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It's vitally important we keep those players aged in their early to mid 20's - Roberton, Geary, Armitage, Stanley, McEvoy and Steven. That's our core right there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:It's vitally important we keep those players aged in their early to mid 20's - Roberton, Geary, Armitage, Stanley, McEvoy and Steven. That's our core right there.

Exactly. we get rid of one ot two of them and who are the older experienced players when we finally come good. Remember the older guys now will be retired by then.

busso mick
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Talk of trading McEvoy surprises me.

He's finally starting to show glimpses as his body develops - yet we're looking to offload him?

You rarely put 4-5 years into a player and just as they hit what you expect to be the period of their career when you get repaid - then give them the flick!
I think a lot of fans judge our players on what their draft number was and not on their performances. Ben was a first round pick and some people expected him to dominate games from an early age. He is a solid contributor in most games and is head and shoulders the best ruckman that we have on our list. He may not get as many tapouts as other ruckmen, but around the ground and in particular at ground level he is very effective. Overhead he is probably the best pack mark in our team. Offloading him would be a stupid decision and if that happens I will be staggered.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:[. Ben was a first round pick and some people expected him to dominate games from an early age.
And this is a very good point when looking at say #1 as Boyd.

if we gave up say Ben and Jack for #1 we may have no 1 and no 3 in the draft.

Sounds great however we give up some young talent whom we have put 4-5 years into.

picks #1 and #3 will show very little first year in. May look talented but a Judd only comes around once in a generation where he dominates from the word go.

This means we go backwards even further next season before we start to go forward.

I am sure "clear headed" means the recruiting dept are considering these scenario's and many others.

Still after their "clear headed" efforts to get Brown last year, I'm not sure if I have complete confidence in them re trading.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would be trying for Jonathon Paton instead of pick1. He might come a bit cheaper as well.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
joffaboy wrote:about dp #1, at his presser today

We've been reported to be one of the clubs in talks with GWS about acquiring pick 1. Personally I don't like this path. As BM has said a number of times, pick 1 does not mean the best player from the draft. As we know pick 1 equals Tom Boyd and tall's often do not live up to their expectations whereas midfielders are a surer bet. Instead of paying overs (example McEvoy and pick 3) I'd get best available at pick 3 and take a punt on tall timber later in the draft. I'd be looking at trading for pick 1 if we didn't have a top 5 selection up our sleeve but we are in a strong position as it is, why get greedy?
Agree, a bird in the hand and all that... especially if it involves pick 3 and a player, and I cant envisage a bundle of players we could trade/part with for it alone.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Will Boyd be as good as McEvoy??

I'm sure most would laugh at the comparison, but McEvoy is a superior player to Kruezer, who was the clear #1 in his draft... What's to say Boyd is any different??

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If it's anyone it will be Dal IMO. I don't want it to be mind you, just my gut feeling.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:It's vitally important we keep those players aged in their early to mid 20's - Roberton, Geary, Armitage, Stanley, McEvoy and Steven. That's our core right there.

Exactly. we get rid of one ot two of them and who are the older experienced players when we finally come good. Remember the older guys now will be retired by then.

Not always true- if any are duds there is no point keeping them. We are better to find guys in other comps or clubs to trade in Sydney style and dump anyone not deserving of a spot.

Armo, Steven, Roberton, geary and Stanley I would def keep but with hickey a potential number one ruckman for us we could potentially off load Mc Evoy if it would allow us to get a very high pick. If you didn't get overs for him you wouldn't do the deal. I obviously don't rate rucks as highly as some though.

Richter
SS Life Member

I don't really see the point in us having a crack for the number 1 pick this year. We have Tom Lee and Spencer White who we picked up last year as up and coming key forwards. Sure we don't know that they will make it but I don't see the point in narrowing our options at this stage by gunning for Boyd at #1. Better we grab a top quality mid like Aish or Kelly this year. Next year we'll have a bit more of a sense of how Tom Lee at the least is going and we can decide then whether we aim for another KPP at our first pick.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not always true- if any are duds there is no point keeping them. We are better to find guys in other comps or clubs to trade in Sydney style and dump anyone not deserving of a spot.

Armo, Steven, Roberton, geary and Stanley I would def keep but with hickey a potential number one ruckman for us we could potentially off load Mc Evoy if it would allow us to get a very high pick. If you didn't get overs for him you wouldn't do the deal. I obviously don't rate rucks as highly as some though.

I dont count duds as players we would keep or chase. Im talking good to very good players. Im still waiting for you to give a list that you think may be delisted. You seem to rate our list but mention all theses other players like Riemers for some reason but to get them decisions must be made. Got a list at this early stage?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

We need young midfielders who can/will win their own nut and run fast.

We also need defenders with size.

We will also need key forwards in 1-2 years time.

Come to think of it - we're rooted.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:I don't really see the point in us having a crack for the number 1 pick this year. We have Tom Lee and Spencer White who we picked up last year as up and coming key forwards. Sure we don't know that they will make it but I don't see the point in narrowing our options at this stage by gunning for Boyd at #1. Better we grab a top quality mid like Aish or Kelly this year. Next year we'll have a bit more of a sense of how Tom Lee at the least is going and we can decide then whether we aim for another KPP at our first pick.

I actually agree with that. I would have a preference for the best available with our existing pick any side deals to get another high pick are all well and good but I would be happy to see the second best midfield talent come our way.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would be trying for Jonathon Paton instead of pick1. He might come a bit cheaper as well.
Well Patton would replace Roo when he goes. IMO Patton would cost a top 5 pick.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

GWS will get pick one ... do they need another tall forward ? prob not ...
Melb will prob get pick 2 ... with Hogan available next year will they reall chase a tall forward ? dunno
WB or us will fight for pick 3 both will jump on Boyd if he is available ...

either way who we get with our first pick will be highly rated ... its what we do with the second third and forth pick that will be interesting

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I would be trying for Jonathon Paton instead of pick1. He might come a bit cheaper as well.
Well Patton would replace Roo when he goes. IMO Patton would cost a top 5 pick.
I'm not sure how highly rated Patton is internally at the club. There was a recent article where Sheedy named a few players he thinks will become AFL legends. Cameron's name was suggested as well as a number of midfielders. Patton's name didn't come up. With Buddy a likely addition to their roster and Cameron already there, I would think GWS would think carefully about trading pick 1 (Boyd) or perhaps Patton instead given his knee issues.

You are probably right, Patton is still valued highly and it would take a pick inside the top 5 to pry him away. Or perhaps we look at a player + pick 20 (our second rounder)? Not sure if that would get it done but I hope its a question the recruiters are asking.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont think GWS will trade pick one .... if they dont need the tall forward they will just use no1 on the best midfielder .... pick one has huge value and they wont let it go cheaply ... think last time pick one got traded it was for Croad and Mcpharlin...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/