Keeping it Real in the Re Build

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Keeping it Real in the Re Build

After seeing how shite North and the Tigers are - and how good Port are.

It has got me thinking.

North and Tigers have become so accustomed to mediocrity over the last decade they build up players way too much. They seriously over-rate their own lists and their young players.
I hope we dont fall into those traps.

Lets remember - we are 3rd bottom right now. Clearly some of our players arent as good as we like to think.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Keeping it Real in the Re Build

North what Kock tease... still laughing about the lead they gave up last night... Scott must be feeling a little nervous atm.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think there is a lesson there for all those who want all senior players gone. They have set a standard to aspire to. North have done to their boys what we are doing to Stanley- getting them beaten up until they doubt themselves. Geelong are the opposite.

We had to bring in guys like Hammil and Gherig who were at successful clubs to set a standard.

Essendon have Goddard for that reason. He is so much more proffessional than anyone else and sets a standard.

Kiedis
Club Player

I agree. Though sure we do have to show some faith in our boys, the fact is most of them were later speculative picks.

For a lot of them to come good, & I mean come real good, It'd actually be minor miracle sort of stuff really..

Siposs at 70 odd, plenty of 30-40 odd picks.

Without adding more fuel to the Stanley fire, what pick was he? Though we hold a lot of hope in the guy as one of our more likely talls, It's not as if he was a top 10-20 pick expected to achieve what we expect him to achieve..

I'm starting to look more objectively at our list because fact is, take GWS out of the equation & we're the 2nd worst club going round at the minute. It's an obviously unbalanced, underperforming side we've got right now. Needs major changes is the truth. Reading between the lines I think Watters & co. are now more aware of this than perhaps they were at the start of the season.. Remember how we categorically weren't rebuilding? We sure are now.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens come the off-season..

I get the feeling we don't have as many 'untouchables' as people may think.

I mean, we let Goddard go for one.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kiedis wrote:I agree. Though sure we do have to show some faith in our boys, the fact is most of them were later speculative picks.

For a lot of them to come good, & I mean come real good, It'd actually be minor miracle sort of stuff really..

Without adding more fuel to the Stanley fire, what pick was he? Though we hold a lot of hope in the guy as one of our more likely talls, It's not as if he was a top 10-20 pick expected to achieve what we expect him to achieve..

I'm starting to look more objectively at our list because fact is, take GWS out of the equation & we're the 2nd worst club going round at the minute. It's an obviously unbalanced, underperforming side we've got right now. Needs major changes is the truth. Reading between the lines I think Watters & co. are now more aware of this than perhaps they were at the start of the season.. Remember how we categorically weren't rebuilding? We sure are now.

Geelong have plenty of later picks that look very good. Draft position might get you another year or two to show something but there are plenty of first round duds. development and opportunity can make a huge difference to a players prospects.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think there is a lesson there for all those who want all senior players gone. They have set a standard to aspire to. North have done to their boys what we are doing to Stanley- getting them beaten up until they doubt themselves. Geelong are the opposite.

We had to bring in guys like Hammil and Gherig who were at successful clubs to set a standard.

Essendon have Goddard for that reason. He is so much more professional than anyone else and sets a standard.
Roo not a good enough role model for Stanley?

We have 14 players with 100+ games on our list - two of them club legends (Roo and len dog) and another 5 ex All Australians. So thats 7 role models. And we are still 3rd bottom.

North really only have 1 role model - Harvey and hes a sh*t bloke.
The Tiges have none.
Port have none.

Kiedis
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Kiedis wrote:I agree. Though sure we do have to show some faith in our boys, the fact is most of them were later speculative picks.

Geelong have plenty of later picks that look very good. Draft position might get you another year or two to show something but there are plenty of first round duds. development and opportunity can make a huge difference to a players prospects.
No doubt. I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe we should cool the "Siposs heir apparent to Goddard" type hype/inflated-expectation & when/if they don't quite make it.. accept that they didn't quite make it & move on.

Don't get me wrong, It's not yet that time for the likes of Siposs, Stanley etc. Well, most of our kids really. They all need more games. That's just where we're at.
In the end, I just don't see them all making it. If our current young crop is it, the backbone of our team to come, I think we'd be a pretty run-of-the-mill team to be honest.

When we're rebuilding & trying to do so as quickly as we possibly can (no one wants to languish at the bottom of the ladder for years & years) sometimes 'harsh' or tough calls need to be made so we can head in the right direction & get on with things. & for some, I believe those calls will be made over the next couple of years.

I'm just not getting attached to every player on our list, because they're on our list. I believe we're a transitional side at a crossroads & the end product will look quite different.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

As far as i concerned sipposs is the secod coming of tim elliot, unil proven otherwise.

milera wont make it and should be delisted, i had great faith in him but he squibs horribly at contests. it is embarassing

saad has been extremely disappointing this year

stanleys mentality is crumbling before our eyes, he needs a serious dose of self belief or he will fade into obscurity

overall we look absolutely inept inour forward 50 attacks. limp..and inept.

growing attached to a list of average duds will secure us a decade of mediocrity
none of us want tht

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:growing attached to a list of average duds will secure us a decade of mediocrity
none of us want tht
so Newness, Saunders, Murdoch, Webster, Lee, Hickey, Dunell, Wright et al are all duds????

We also have blokes like Simpkin, Curren. Ledger, Michington, Lever and Markworth, and Wight in the seconds looking for a go

Quite seriously, if you think so, you better give up watching the STKFC because if they are we will not be any good for 10-12 years.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
ralphsmith wrote:growing attached to a list of average duds will secure us a decade of mediocrity
none of us want tht
so Newness, Saunders, Murdoch, Webster, Lee, Hickey, Dunell, Wright et al are all duds????

We also have blokes like Simpkin, Curren. Ledger, Michington, Lever and Markworth, and Wight in the seconds looking for a go

Quite seriously, if you think so, you better give up watching the STKFC because if they are we will not be any good for 10-12 years.
JB this is the standard dower talk when ever the saints are in this position... you will notice these same downers are total u turns when things are flying... the same duds they want sacked are now the toast of the town.

it's a cycle.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
none of us want tht

Those players you mention may not be superstars yet, but there is a good chance 3 or 4 could easily become A grades eventually. God only knows how Spencer Buddy White turns out!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.