Dal Santo off the table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dal Santo off the table

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

Re: Dal Santo off the table

Wouldn't surprise if say a Hawthorn threw there first round pick at say 18 or 19 for Dal, he would be the cream on the cake imo for clubs on the brink of success.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Wouldn't surprise if say a Hawthorn threw there first round pick at say 18 or 19 for Dal, he would be the cream on the cake imo for clubs on the brink of success.

Would anyone go for pick 18 or 19 for Dal? if lenny stays and we recruit a hard bodied mid, I wouldn't be unhappy.

At least we aren't giving away another quality mid for nothing.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I hope he's off the table after all , the money's for the beer !

In red white and black from 73
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'd rather we package Dal with pick 22 & get another pick inside the top 10.

Having said that, keen draft watchers are saying the talent is quite even outside of the top 5 through to mid 20's.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon there won't be much interest in him by any of the teams that are currently in the top 4-6 on the ladder as most of those clubs are trying to build sides with a midfield that can work hard both ways and as we know Dal comes up short in that regard by a fair margin. I reckon the club have been behind the instigation of this article and are trying to quickly arrive at the point with Dal where they can say to him, look you aren't as good as you once were or you aren't as good as you think you are anymore so buy-in or say good by to your AFL career earlier than you should and the nice pay packets it can still bring you.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:I'd rather we package Dal with pick 22 & get another pick inside the top 10.

Having said that, keen draft watchers are saying the talent is quite even outside of the top 5 through to mid 20's.
It is a nice idea but the sides with a top ten pick to trade will not be looking for a two to three years proposition like Dal.
The only sides interested in Dal are sides challenging right now.
You add an elite user of the ball to an already stacked midfield and that has potential win written all over it.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

How long has the table been tagging him?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:I'd rather we package Dal with pick 22 & get another pick inside the top 10.

It is a nice idea but the sides with a top ten pick to trade will not be looking for a two to three years proposition like Dal.
The only sides interested in Dal are sides challenging right now.
You add an elite user of the ball to an already stacked midfield and that has potential win written all over it.

i think GWS have acknowledged they should have grabbed several mature stars. He would suit them as their kids will lift after suffering some second year blues this season and dal could put some elite training models in place for them.

I would hang on to him though as he will continue to give the same service to our kids.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just my opinion, but I don't reckon he'd be up to go to a development club.

Perhaps if you teased him with a team thereabouts, I reckon he's happy to wind things up at the Saints.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

In response to the question earlier, I think if offered pick 18/19 for Dal, we'd have to take it... I certainly would...

saintkellerm
Club Player

I filled out a survey for GWS as I attended the game in Canberra and they sent it to me twice, once erlier this year and then a couple of weeks ago. I put Dal's name down as someone who would be good for them as a recruit earlier this year, however I didn't put his name in that I sent a couple of weeks ago. He would be good becuase they do need some experience, like GC Suns. I think he would fit well coz the younger guys would be the in and under player and he would be on the outside, but saying that, it would be exactly the same as what he does here so not really sure if they would want him. I don't know if he has realised that the "dream" is over for him for the next couple of years at least (and the saints). I love Dal, and would like him to stay but just like Goddard, lets not pay overs.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This is a quote from the article...

The Herald Sun understands a draft pick outside the top-20 will fail to engage the Saints. The silky midfielder, who has played all 15 games this year, has won the third most disposals and racked up the fourth most clearances at the club this season.

Third most disposals and fourth most clearances in a side that is 16th on the ladder with 3 wins.

I'm not getting it, which developing side or side that is currently a side capable of winning the flag in the next few years would give up a top 10-20 draft pick for Dal.

I'll answer that...none. Like I said I reckon the club are behind that article and it is meant to embarrass him, either that or he should be embarrassed.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:This is a quote from the article...

The Herald Sun understands a draft pick outside the top-20 will fail to engage the Saints. The silky midfielder, who has played all 15 games this year, has won the third most disposals and racked up the fourth most clearances at the club this season.

Third most disposals and fourth most clearances in a side that is 16th on the ladder with 3 wins.

I'm not getting it, which developing side or side that is currently a side capable of winning the flag in the next few years would give up a top 10-20 draft pick for Dal.

I'll answer that...none. Like I said I reckon the club are behind that article and it is meant to embarrass him, either that or he should be embarrassed.

North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney, Collingwood, all would take Dal Santo.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

A rebuild will take twice as long if we dont keep experienced good footballers at the club to help nurture and teach the kids to play. Coaches and any sort of development program can only do so much but having Dal, Roo, Lenny, Joey, Chips, Dempster, Schneids and Milney running around on the field with these kids coaching them in real-time on the field in the heat of the battle will accelerate their development time exponentially. We must keep all of our top shelf veterans for as long as we can whilst we are rebuilding.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I reckon there won't be much interest in him by any of the teams that are currently in the top 4-6 on the ladder as most of those clubs are trying to build sides with a midfield that can work hard both ways and as we know Dal comes up short in that regard by a fair margin. I reckon the club have been behind the instigation of this article and are trying to quickly arrive at the point with Dal where they can say to him, look you aren't as good as you once were or you aren't as good as you think you are anymore so buy-in or say good by to your AFL career earlier than you should and the nice pay packets it can still bring you.

Like BJ last year who the HS now say is leading the B&F at Essendon. Dal can play great foooty but maybe due to 2 GF losses and his personality he is struggling to give 100% even though Im sure he thinks he is. Dal at another very good club would be a star. he is no where near past it. Dont want to lose him but if he wants to go then let him go. If he wants to stay then let him stay.

As to other question who would take him. Try every side in the 8 and couple out of the 8 if they had salary cap room.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'd still say keep him, but.....

.....what about the Dees as part of a trade for Frawley??? Maybe Dal and our 2nd round pick??

The Demons could use some silk on the outside as much as anyone

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I'd still say keep him, but.....

.....what about the Dees as part of a trade for Frawley??? Maybe Dal and our 2nd round pick??

Why would Dal want to go to Melbourne and it would be a dog act by us to try and send him there.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why would Dal want to go to that club and why would they want him. They are 4 years away at least from making the 8 let alone challenging.We arent going to get Frawley. There is no way we can get him and i still say why would he leave Melbourne to go to a club that probably hasnt bottomed out yet. Happy to hear some good reasons and that doesnt mean his Uncle played for us or he followed us as a kid.

Bazza1970
Club Player

We all cry out for talented mids, yet the majority on here want to get rid of one of the few we have.
There is a reason the opposition choose to tag Dal every week.

I don't want to watch another Saint great play in a premiership for another team.

I get we have to re-build, but lets not sell our soul. Dal's been a great player for us over the years and extremely durable.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Just my opinion, but I don't reckon he'd be up to go to a development club.

Perhaps if you teased him with a team thereabouts, I reckon he's happy to wind things up at the Saints.
Exactly my thoughts too

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sydney would not take him and now that Buckley wants to develop his team on Sydney meaning be believes the modern team needs to be modelled on Sydney GP where players need to be able to play both ways, Collingwood wouldn't take him. That would rule Dal out of being suitable to Sydney or Collingwood IMO. He has always struggled with the defensive side of his game and also his ability in what he does when he hasn't got the ball. Those skills are going to be absolutely necessary for the modern midfielder and it just may be that the game has passed him by.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Sydney would not take him and now that Buckley wants to develop his team on Sydney meaning be believes the modern team needs to be modelled on Sydney GP where players need to be able to play both ways, Collingwood wouldn't take him. That would rule Dal out of being suitable to Sydney or Collingwood IMO. He has always struggled with the defensive side of his game and also his ability in what he does when he hasn't got the ball. Those skills are going to be absolutely necessary for the modern midfielder and it just may be that the game has passed him by.

Well it seems 6 out of the top 8 will take him then plus others just out of the 8 who think they are chance next season.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Sydney would not take him and now that Buckley wants to develop his team on Sydney meaning be believes the modern team needs to be modelled on Sydney GP where players need to be able to play both ways, Collingwood wouldn't take him. That would rule Dal out of being suitable to Sydney or Collingwood IMO. He has always struggled with the defensive side of his game and also his ability in what he does when he hasn't got the ball. Those skills are going to be absolutely necessary for the modern midfielder and it just may be that the game has passed him by.

Well it seems 6 out of the top 8 will take him then plus others just out of the 8 who think they are chance next season.

pffft! They probably would plugger and I suppose they'll be throwing everything they can at securing a 29 year old that is 3rd and 4th best behind other midfielders in a team that is 16th on the ladder. Makes complete sense.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:

Why would Dal want to go to Melbourne and it would be a dog act by us to try and send him there.
plugger66 wrote:

Why would Dal want to go to that club and why would they want him. They are 4 years away at least from making the 8 let alone challenging.We arent going to get Frawley. There is no way we can get him and i still say why would he leave Melbourne to go to a club that probably hasnt bottomed out yet. Happy to hear some good reasons and that doesnt mean his Uncle played for us or he followed us as a kid.
Dollars. Although both clubs probably have cap space, we're crying out for a key back and will pay him overs. If the offer for Brown (good WAFL defender) was $400k over 3 years, Frawley would attract at least $500k. Dees wont match it because they'll be keen to attract their own A-graders (mids probably), especially if they get a high profile coach like Roos, and have signed Clark and Dawes on big cash in recent times.

My point was that the club's got this out into the media to attract a defender, not a first round pick. They realise they wont get a first rounder for a 29 y.o outside mid who is on a 1 year extension deal.