We want the kids to play and have honourable defeats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

We want the kids to play and have honourable defeats

All we want are for the kids to keep getting a game, and show promise. Honourable defeats are the desired outcome for every game until the end of the season--we do not want to win. Winning a meaningless game at the end of the season could mean missing out on Aish or Scharenberg. Even though it is painful to want to see your team lose, the best outcome for the club, long term, is to not win another game this season.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: We want the kids to play and have honourable defeats

sainterinsydney wrote:All we want are for the kids to keep getting a game, and show promise. Honourable defeats are the desired outcome for every game until the end of the season--we do not want to win. Winning a meaningless game at the end of the season could mean missing out on Aish or Scharenberg. Even though it is painful to want to see your team lose, the best outcome for the club, long term, is to not win another game this season.
As long as our % stays above 80 - im happy if we dont win any more

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:All we want are for the kids to keep getting a game, and show promise. Honourable defeats are the desired outcome for every game until the end of the season--we do not want to win. Winning a meaningless game at the end of the season could mean missing out on Aish or Scharenberg. Even though it is painful to want to see your team lose, the best outcome for the club, long term, is to not win another game this season.

You may not want them to win but I will be hoping they win every game they play this season.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the OP.
Tank
Trade like pelican has never traded before. Load up on dp's and if possible FA quality but do not go overs and list clog just because we have cap space now. The definition of stupidity is repeating past actions / mistakes and expecting it to be different 'this time'
Another season at the bottom in 14
Same as above once more
Aim for the top from there

#1 Ryder fan
suss
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

You may not want them to win but I will be hoping they win every game they play this season.
You're on your Pat Malone.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I bet im not and i also bet 90% of saints fans going to game hope they win that game. Well they bloody well should. Aftyer they lose then fine, look for the positives but i can see to many people barracking for Carlton last week if they followed us. if they were then I reckon they have issues.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Sorry, I am with Plugger. I never want to see us deliberately losing games.
Try your best every time and let the chips fall where they may.
I don't believe we ever tanked, we were horrible sure but we did not tank.
I have followed this club for well, lets just say I am old enough to have seen us win the big one.
During that time I have seen humiliated and pummelled but I have always left with my head held high.
I could not do that if I felt we deliberately went out to lose.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Noone is suggesting we try and lose.
If we try and win we wont wont win but we will get close.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Noone is suggesting we try and lose.
If we try and win we wont wont win but we will get close.
So did you barrack for us last week or just barrack we got close? Im afraid i dont get it. Certainly not during or before a game.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I hope they win every game. When they don't though I couldn't give a rats. There are absolutly no positives in us winning any more games this year. Pretend there is, but there isn't. It will compromise our draft position.

Will anyone remember a fantastic win against Port this week next year. No players will be scared for life. Trust me. There is only one way to get the best young talent in the country. Ask skunk fans whether it was worth a year of pain when they picked up Pendelbury and Thomas.

suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No he is not.

Who says it is better for the "kids" to lose all the time than the "kids" win a few games, get their confidence in the own game going, and improve as a team, than getting beaten all the time?

I want to see us win as many as possible with the kids being the driving force behind those wins.

If we miss out on Aish or Scharenberg so be it. Maybe we might miss out on them and get a Lenny instead.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No he is not.

Who says it is better for the "kids" to lose all the time than the "kids" win a few games, get their confidence in the own game going, and improve as a team, than getting beaten all the time?

I want to see us win as many as possible with the kids being the driving force behind those wins.

If we miss out on Aish or Scharenberg so be it. Maybe we might miss out on them and get a Lenny instead.
Any win from now on could be mean picking up a Kosi instead of a Rooey. That's the way I look at it. Harsh, but real.

Saintsational Legend

Sorry, I'm with plugger - play the kids, but I want them to win every game they can.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Fat lot of good it did Melbourne

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No he's not. I want my team to win every week. Have watched teams supposedly tanking over the years, and haven't seen a lot of success, Demons, Carlton supposedly tanking to recruit Kreuzer, haven't seen anything startling with him to warrant tanking.

No, go out and win, and if not, well hopefully the kids will add a positive spin to the loss.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Don't presume to speak for everyone.

I'll be going to see us win.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Careful what you wish for. Look what it did for Melbourne and no one wants to develop a losing culture.

Losing every game from here on will not be good for morale or team culture.

The Dogs are still trying to win and a win every 3 or 4 weeks isn't going to kill our draft chances. Sat night's game is game we should be hoping to win.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No he's not.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
busso mick
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote: No he's not. I want my team to win every week. Have watched teams supposedly tanking over the years, and haven't seen a lot of success, Demons, Carlton supposedly tanking to recruit Kreuzer, haven't seen anything startling with him to warrant tanking.

No, go out and win, and if not, well hopefully the kids will add a positive spin to the loss.
I agree ST, I want to see the joy on the faces of the young blokes (and everyone else) when we sing the song. A couple of draft places is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and no guarantee of getting the gun you think they are.

bergsone
SS Life Member

I always want to win.regardless

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I want us to finish 16th to optimize draft picks, but I want us to win this week.

Look at the draw - realistically we aren't going to beat many other teams this year. If you're afraid that a win on Saturday is going to seriously hurt our chances of 16th I think it's a bit over the top.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

dont fall into this ridiculous notion we need to tank and we will inevitably come out the other end winning grand finals

melbourne has fallen into a quagmire they cant get out of trying that

it is dangerous dangerous

our guys still come into games with a lot of tenacity, we look good for about 1 quarter then fade away.
if the loser culture grows and ggrows we will lose that tenacity and just get destroyed every week like melbourne

remember max hudghton crying? it is a world of despair that is very hard to escape from

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Stuff tanking. I think we ARE playing our best available at the moment and trying to win. Great to see.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:[ny win from now on could be mean picking up a Kosi instead of a Rooey. That's the way I look at it. Harsh, but real.
So a player who has played nearly 200 games for the club, fracturing his skull in the process, is just ridiculed by you :roll:

Nice attitude toward a great St.Kilda clubman.

Tell you something for free, would rather a Kosi who has bled red white and black than a muppet No.1 like Sculley who pisses off at the drop of a hat.

You seriously think getting pick #4 instead of pick #3 is going to make any difference to the team over the next two or so seasons?

As someone said, you instill a loser culture you end up looking like Melbourne. How has Scully and Watts worked out for them again?

You wouldn't know for years if we had a Roo or Kosi.

Anyway considering Kosi won the rising star award and Roo was hardly sighted in season one, I bet you would have been singing Kosi's praises ahead of Roo's.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Sorry, I am with Plugger. I never want to see us deliberately losing games.
Try your best every time and let the chips fall where they may.
Yep. And if we finish with a No. 3 pick rather than a No. 1, choose a Judd rather than a Ball.