Dayle Garlett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Dayle Garlett

Looks like his form in the WAFL has made him of interest to a number of clubs who are willing to forgive past indiscretions.

I have only seen him on the telly a few times but looks like he could be a very handy acquisition up forward who can also have the occasional run through the middle. Potentially solves the onfield issues with Milne's retirement and the poor return from Milera, Saad & TDL - but may bring his own off field dramas

Will he still be around at our 2nd pick, because I cant see him being around for our 3rd pick -and if so do we want to punt on him ? Unless there is a clearance machine still available at our 2nd pick or a likely CHB, I would think we would have to take him. Given he was rated a top 10 talent (some say top 5) that would potentially give us 2 top 10 pick with our first 2 picks.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dayle Garlett

Zed wrote:Looks like his form in the WAFL has made him of interest to a number of clubs who are willing to forgive past indiscretions.

I have only seen him on the telly a few times but looks like he could be a very handy acquisition up forward who can also have the occasional run through the middle. Potentially solves the onfield issues with Milne's retirement and the poor return from Milera, Saad & TDL - but may bring his own off field dramas

Will he still be around at our 2nd pick, because I cant see him being around for our 3rd pick -and if so do we want to punt on him ? Unless there is a clearance machine still available at our 2nd pick or a likely CHB, I would think we would have to take him. Given he was rated a top 10 talent (some say top 5) that would potentially give us 2 top 10 pick with our first 2 picks.

I agree he probably wont be around in our third pick but we have a very low second round pick so we are giving away more than most clubs. Ideally we would trade for a late first round or another early second round and get him if he seems to have overcome a few of his issues and there must have been many with no club willing to punt on him last season.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id look at him for pick 22 for sure.

Id be making meetings with AFL indig welfare officer right now to discuss this.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

word is his girlfriend has been the key to him pulling his head in .. she has got him to quit the ciggies and take a real good look at his life not just as a footballer but as a person ... talent wise he is totally AFL quallity his attitude has improved greatly and i think his game has become a bit more measured (he now defends a lot better ) there will still be question marks around him thats for sure but i reckon he will get picked by some one ... not sure if it will be us though i would imagine us getting another WA boy who is a small forward would almost cause a riot with some people on here

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Strength can breed strength... A strong club like the hawks or swans could take a risk on dayle and he will probably end up a gun at a place like that.
sheesh he could do some damage in that sydney midfield.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:word is his girlfriend has been the key to him pulling his head in .. she has got him to quit the ciggies and take a real good look at his life not just as a footballer but as a person ... talent wise he is totally AFL quallity his attitude has improved greatly and i think his game has become a bit more measured (he now defends a lot better ) there will still be question marks around him thats for sure but i reckon he will get picked by some one ... not sure if it will be us though i would imagine us getting another WA boy who is a small forward would almost cause a riot with some people on here
Only if they're cr@p

“Yeah….nah””
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:word is his girlfriend has been the key to him pulling his head in .. she has got him to quit the ciggies and take a real good look at his life not just as a footballer but as a person ... talent wise he is totally AFL quallity his attitude has improved greatly and i think his game has become a bit more measured (he now defends a lot better ) there will still be question marks around him thats for sure but i reckon he will get picked by some one ... not sure if it will be us though i would imagine us getting another WA boy who is a small forward would almost cause a riot with some people on here
Only if they're cr@p
yeah cause the vic boys that are cr@p are much more accepted

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

If we wanted him we could have got him for nothing last year. National draft, rookie draft, pre season draft. Why would we give up a high pick this year. Things can't have changed that much since October last year. Even I can be a good boy for a little while.

Would be funny to give up a second round selection in 2013 for a player we could have selected with Pick 80 last year?!

he would have had a year in the system now, under our esteemed leaders in our culture of excellence, and accelerated his development in the highly successful Academy?!

I've heard two interesting stories about how we knocked back two players we were close to drafting, but baulked because of their kicking skills (ironic I know)..... Both with the last selection? We even travelled to WA to interview one, who happened to be drafted the next year by North.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would be funny to give up a second round selection in 2013 for a player we could have selected with Pick 80 last year?!

he would have had a year in the system now, under our esteemed leaders in our culture of excellence, and accelerated his development in the highly successful Academy?!

I've heard two interesting stories about how we knocked back two players we were close to drafting, but baulked because of their kicking skills (ironic I know)..... Both with the last selection? We even travelled to WA to interview one, who happened to be drafted the next year by North.

That would never happen to another club. Only us and it was only us who didnt recruit Garlett.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Get him now. i can't believe no one had a go last year. He was a potential top three pick and didn't even get rookied????

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Being serious now,

Yes bizarre no one took a calculated punt on him.... What's to lose?

Potential A Grader on a rookie list, make him earn promotion?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Being serious now,

Ironically this guy had photos that stopped him from getting drafted...!

:mrgreen:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Being serious now,

Did you interview him or know all his issues. maybe just maybe he has sorted a few out. It can happen. If we miss out on him it will be our clubs fault though. Im betting you hope we miss out on him so you can tell us you would have grabbed him. If we get him and he stuffs up it will be our culture. You must be loving that. Its a win win unless he is very good and we get him. Not sure how you will handle that though.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Trav,

So what might possibly happen if he got drafted by a Vic club, his girlfriend didn't like it over here or a long distance relationship and they split up after a few months?

Hypothetically could be a disaster.

Prefer the stories of footballers who wake up to themselves, not because a girl is making their life wonderful at the moment...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I bet he gets drafted in 2013, there will be a photo of him I reckon....

I also reckon he will play more AFL games the Jamie Cripps..... Another high pick flop

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I bet he gets drafted in 2013, there will be a photo of him I reckon....

I also reckon he will play more AFL games the Jamie Cripps..... Another high pick flop

Ok then.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His girlfriend seems supportive, and wants him to succeed.... Nothing wrong with needing or accepting support networks....

Especially with indigenous kids, who may have had a different upbringing to a middle/upper class Private School boy like Luke Ball.

In the right environment he will thrive, like Krakour

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:His girlfriend seems supportive, and wants him to succeed.... Nothing wrong with needing or accepting support networks....

Especially with indigenous kids, who may have had a different upbringing to a middle/upper class Private School boy like Luke Ball.

In the right environment he will thrive, like Krakour
Certainly nothing wrong with support networks for anyone in life.

But he's in a pretty happy place at "home" at the moment by the sound of it.

Relationships and support come and go, displacement can upset life - with that can come uncertainty.

I can't recall, but why did he fail the first time around?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I bet he gets drafted in 2013, there will be a photo of him I reckon....

You obviously didn't get it. He had photos posted online drinking and smoking - contributing to him being overlooked.

You really don't like Cripps do you. But you already didn't like Cripps because of no draft day photo, without seeing him play. So Cripps may turn out a player, or not - but taking anything you say with a grain of salt is highly recommended.

Just remember, whatever argument, whatever story - it will always come back to the photo thread.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Get him now. i can't believe no one had a go last year. He was a potential top three pick and didn't even get rookied????
yes why is the question, a lot more going on than just talent and smoking cigarettes for no one taking a punt on him me thinks

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

You obviously didn't get it. He had photos posted online drinking and smoking - contributing to him being overlooked.

You really don't like Cripps do you. But you already didn't like Cripps because of no draft day photo, without seeing him play. So Cripps may turn out a player, or not - but taking anything you say with a grain of salt is highly recommended.

Just remember, whatever argument, whatever story - it will always come back to the photo thread.

So by that logic if he has more than one pic and is smoking he will be a hot player?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And that's ridiculous....

It's a clutching at straws argument to try and prove me wrong.... Because the evidence doesn't?!

The kid bailed on StK after doing FA... Is proving me right if anything, I'm comfortable in saying he will get delisted after his contract at WC expires... I think he's soft...

BTW
Not sure there was ever a 'photo thread' it was a comment in a post on our pick 24.... Blown out of proportion by crony apologists who for some reason love to discredit me, like I'm the arch enemy .... It humorous to say the least....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And that's ridiculous....

It's a clutching at straws argument to try and prove me wrong.... Because the evidence doesn't?!

The kid bailed on StK after doing FA... Is proving me right if anything, I'm comfortable in saying he will get delisted after his contract at WC expires... I think he's soft...

BTW
Not sure there was ever a 'photo thread' it was a comment in a post on our pick 24.... Blown out of proportion by crony apologists who for some reason love to discredit me, like I'm the arch enemy .... It humorous to say the least....

I'm only joking he s***s everyone. I still think Cripps was a promising kid and still a shame to lose him and Lynch and see them playing elsewhere. It is a failing of our club that they couldn't wait to leave.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Quite a few on here wanted him last year.

Amazing how much group think there is in the afl.
Noone wanted him last year but ill bet anything a few will be prepared to put a top 30 on him this year.
Maybe a top 20.

Out of interest did tommy lee nominate in the 2011 draft ?