Lets Be Honest! Its the coaching.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

twirlyhair
Club Player

Lets Be Honest! Its the coaching.

Lets be honest, our coaching sucks. Of all the coachable skills, such as getting goal side of your man, chasing and running hard forward and back, keeping possession rather than bombing long, forward pressure, kicking to an even contest rather than on on two, etc etc. These are the things that we used to do....when we had the same players....its the coaching....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lets Be Honest! Its the coaching.

Agreed. Any coach apart from SW would have us 15 and 3. Trrible coach. sack him and every other assistant.

twirlyhair
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Agreed. Any coach apart from SW would have us 15 and 3. Trrible coach. sack him and every other assistant.
Yeah thats a helpful comment. Maybe try discussing the issue?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Agreed. Any coach apart from SW would have us 15 and 3. Trrible coach. sack him and every other assistant.
he can't, hence his style :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:

How can you discuss our coaching sucks? Maybe you discuss that first.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:Lets be honest, our coaching sucks. Of all the coachable skills, such as getting goal side of your man, chasing and running hard forward and back, keeping possession rather than bombing long, forward pressure, kicking to an even contest rather than on on two, etc etc. These are the things that we used to do....when we had the same players....its the coaching....
He looks good. But he's a dud. To be fair though, he has got the team on the way down. With a good team, he might not look so bad. Other than for the $600,000 per year, decent coaches won't be rushing to take his spot in the next few years. I'll do it for nothing, so the club can save a couple of million while we rebuild. I would be expert at getting the number one draft pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:
he can't, hence his style :roll: :roll:

I didnt know you would still be here. I thought your brain would have exploded by now.

jamesmc
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote:Lets be honest, our coaching sucks. Of all the coachable skills, such as getting goal side of your man, chasing and running hard forward and back, keeping possession rather than bombing long, forward pressure, kicking to an even contest rather than on on two, etc etc. These are the things that we used to do....when we had the same players....its the coaching....
come up with an alternative coach before you throw s...out there

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have some issues with the coaching - but please - we dont 'have the same players'.

People need to stop this myth.

No coach could have got us more than 6 wins this year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He has not coached well in 2013.

Of course P66 smart arse comment would be expected, but really.... I bet no one had us in this situation pre season.... Our list is more capable than the record.... We have senior players and some ok other players....

We are about a 6/12-8/10 team.... Not a finals team, but NOT 3/15 and hideous.

But he might have a better 2014

spert
Saintsational Legend

Well, it's obvious even to the commentators, that Watters defensive work is pretty easy to get around..I reckon I could get a kick against the Saints- just hang around the centre corridor- it's usually unprotected, and has been all year..its the part of the ground where usually 3 or 4 opposition players hang around and get easy kicks with no opponents. Watters hasn't got a clue quite frankly.. and its bloody certain that he won't be taking us to the finals in his time as coach. Sadly the club will be going nowhere for many years

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He has not coached well in 2013.

Of course P66 smart arse comment would be expected, but really.... I bet no one had us in this situation pre season.... Our list is more capable than the record.... We have senior players and some ok other players....

We are about a 6/12-8/10 team.... Not a finals team, but NOT 3/15 and hideous.

But he might have a better 2014

For a person who is trying to ignoring me you are embarressing your family.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It's easy to get around when you have kids trying to execute it.

Once they mature, it'll be a different story.

Give them a break.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sat 03 Aug 2013 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

twirlyhair
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:

How can you discuss our coaching sucks? Maybe you discuss that first.
If you had read my post Mr Pluggsy, you might have noticed that I did in fact discuss the inadequecies of our coaching. So over to you oh wise one.

Greg T
Club Player

Don't panic everyone, the club expects to extend his contract......

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Well something's gone seriously wrong. Just 2 years ago our structures and ability to create and win contests made us one of the most, if not the most feared team in the competition. The one no one wanted to play. Now they're lining up. Seriously, watching spuds like Hanley strolling into open goals, 20 metres in the clear, is symptomatic of what's wrong. Very little structure, very little effort, poor skills, pathetic fitness levels. Who is to blame? The players? The coaches? Both? One thing's for sure, we've fallen to unacceptably low level, with an unacceptable level of haste.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
twirlyhair
Club Player

"thats what we are about. Putting pressure on the ball carrier. They are a very coachable group". R Lyon (2 minutes ago).
This is what I mean!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

surely ross or ledger have to be better options than saad...the guy isn't good enough at this level fgs....anybody with half a football brain can see that ......sticks out like dogs balls.....

...have no idea what the coach is thinking......no good trying to get games into him either...odds are he won't be aropund for a couple of seasons.... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:...I bet no one had us in this situation pre season... Our list is more capable than the record...
I must admit that I did and I really don't think our list is that capable. We are slow and unskilled. The coach is a perfect match.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Well something's gone seriously wrong. Just 2 years ago our structures and ability to create and win contests made us one of the most, if not the most feared team in the competition. The one no one wanted to play. Now they're lining up. Seriously, watching spuds like Hanley strolling into open goals, 20 metres in the clear, is symptomatic of what's wrong. Very little structure, very little effort, poor skills, pathetic fitness levels. Who is to blame? The players? The coaches? Both? One thing's for sure, we've fallen to unacceptably low level, with an unacceptable level of haste.

Now I completely agree with that. I will never just blame on issue though. SW isnt a great coach yet. Our players were always going to eventually struggle. We are doing it earlier than most expected. maybe its a combination of many things.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Warming the seat for Harvey.
Unfortunately Harvey is currently understudy to another numpty.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:surely ross or ledger have to be better options than saad...the guy isn't good enough at this level fgs....anybody with half a football brain can see that ......sticks out like dogs balls.....

...have no idea what the coach is thinking......no good trying to get games into him either...odds are he won't be aropund for a couple of seasons.... :roll:
umm.. fgs and aropund.. I can't work out what you mean...can you help me out

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It's easy to get around when you have kids trying to execute it.

Once they mature, it'll be a different story.

Give them a break.
Our team is no younger than most others. Our game plan stinks and the list is riddled with duds.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but interesting comments by brett anderson in this weeks"inside football"....states that saints senior players have lost faith in what is taking place within the 4 walls at linen house and that they are a broken group......

later on, when discussing the brissie game he again states that problems within the walls at linen house centre with in-house discontent was starting to manifest itself in the saints on field performance.......and that the saint's inability to recruit or develop even one key defender has been at the heart of its problems for nearly two years...

...can't argue with the last part ...but i'm a bit worried about his earlier statements...must be something in it...no denials from nathan burke or russell holmesby........ :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do we have that many kids? I hear that excuse constantly....

Not playing key roles anyway

Midfield
McEvoy 24, Hayes 33, Dal 29, Steven 23, Armitage 25, Montagna 29, Ray 27,

Defenders
Dempster 29, Roberton 22, Dunnell 22, Geary 25

Riewoldt 30, Milne 33, Saad 23, Stanley 23, Lee 22

Are we really that young, it may come as a surprise that we have young players.... But we are not Melbourne, GWS, Bulldogs or GC.... Who are actual young sides.... I would think Port, Bris, Rich are as young too?