Some Positives from Last Night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Some Positives from Last Night

Whilst it is always better to win, there were, iMHO, some positives from our younger brigade last night.

Lee, I think is going to be good for us. He showed in the second half, when Roo seemed to fade a bit, that he knew where to run to and took some strong marks

Webster, looks better each week and seems to be gaining some confidence as he gains experience

Stanley, who up until last night I thought was going nowhere fast, showed some real glimpses before getting injured. He may well become a very tough player to play against on our forward line.

Saunders showed fight and spirit but needs a little more composure. If he continues to improve with experience and hard work I will not be surprised to see him become an integral part of our team.

Curren surprised me. Whilst he didn't set the game alight he certainly worked his backside off and didn't take a backward step. I don't know if he will eventually make it at this level but at least he tries.

Simpkin and Roberton battled manfully against overwhelming odds and I look forward to the time when they are surrounded by teammates who are physically capable of standing the power forwards these 2 have had to unreasonably take this season.

On the negative
I don't know what has become of Siposs - he seems completely 'lost' out there and doesn't seem too interested (which of course is nonsense).

I don't think Dunnell is going to make it. I reckon he's a good VFL player but lacks 'something' to make it at the top level.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Positives from Last Night

I like saunders. Needs to have better decision making but that will come. Stanley was good early last night and Webster will be a good player. Not sold on Curren at all. Just looks so small out there. The real negative for me was the club deciding to play Rooy. As one famous poster said after one game last year he moved like a super rules player last night. I dont get why he would play. Its not fair on him or the side. If the injury wont get worse he still shouldnt play as he obvious cant move properly. if it could get worse sack the lot of them.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Positives..few, negatives many. I agree that Saunders should be good player for us, I'll give him two seasons to get the necessary tank for four quarters- Webster likewise. Dunnell is ok, but should be up on the wing not back line. Curren is a fair way off I reckon, and Siposs looks like a lost schoolboy footballer. It is obvious that Roo is off the boil as is Lenny, and they are playing off sheer grit and guts..maybe it is time for those two to call it a day. Lee is getting into the tempo better each game.
I think the coaching this season has been ordinary, as it was last night..same mistakes, same undisciplined play, same lack of any obvious defensive game, same woeful midfield/ stoppage problems, and Saad should not have been gifted a game when players like Ross and Ledger are putting in a big effort at Sandy- that doesn't give off good signs.

I wish I could see some good signs and hope for the next few years, but I'm losing faith in this lot

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The positives were Stanley, and that Watters will want to play him forward from now on, the defence experiment appears to be over.
Stevens goal and the fact, even though not as good, still contributed despite a hard tag.
Armitage, best game yet, and against some competition unlike the GWS game earlier this year.
Saunders, like how he backs himself, just needs a little bit more poise.
Webster, get another pre season into him so he adds a bit of muscle, he'll be a very good player.
Lee, guy's averaging 2 goals a game, and gives them someone they can confidently kick too other than Roo.
Dal Santo, looks like he wants to play and stay.
Negative, Stanley getting injured, anyone know how bad yet?
Siposs, just appears gone, he is the biggest disappointment player wise this season for me, looked like he was ready break out end of last season, and just seems to have crawled back into his shell.
Lee Fisher, as an ex Saint player should have gifted us at least 5 goals last night!!!!!!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Siposs needs to be carried by good players. He is lazy, but would prob look like a star if he was playing in one of the top 8 teams

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, agree with the above, there are some good "average" players coming on, but where are our "marquee"players going to come from?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Yes, agree with the above, there are some good "average" players coming on, but where are our "marquee"players going to come from?
The next four drafts.

As I said last night,the future is so bleak,that in result it will end up so good.

Let's face facts,we are not going to win a premiership in this climate finishing 8-12th every year and being just around the mark. It would take miracle recruiting,or an extra million in the salary cap like Sydney.

We just have to cop the next few years,and if it's like this year it's not the worst thing on earth,in most parts we have still been highly competitive. Last week aside it's not like we are Melbourne,our players still have a crack. With our top end talent coming to an end, it doesn't matter how good our youngsters play,we are going to be down for a while,in the meantime if they try and maintain a culture of having crack,eventually things will turn around after they get 3-4 preseasons under there belt.

I don't understand how people get so antsie after every individual loss, we all knew this was coming,if not you were highly deluded. Turn arounds don't come over night,we aren't even through our first year of being down yet. All this cr"p I see posted by some that the good clubs don't ever go down,what a load of ****! Name me one apart from Sydney? They have all been down at some point since 2000, and in turn,that's how they become good again. We are just in the bad cycle now.... and due to the gap in our recruiting,we are going to stay down for a few years, but look at the positive,we are going to see some high end talent come through the doors in the process, which hopefully by the end of the decade will see us being a serious contender again,and not just 7th to 10th side

Bring back the Lockett era
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

jonesy wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Yes, agree with the above, there are some good "average" players coming on, but where are our "marquee"players going to come from?
The next four drafts.
I was about to write that myself.

For the first time in years we will have low picks, and will hopefully get a few quality players.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The big question is that with the likes of Rooey, Dal, Monty, Lenny, Milne coming to an end over the next 1-2 years, do we recruit for the longer term future i.e. the best of the young draftees, or, take the top-up route of Trading for more mature players to "fill the gap."

It will be very interesting to hear what the Club says (if anything)about its future intentions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:The big question is that with the likes of Rooey, Dal, Monty, Lenny, Milne coming to an end over the next 1-2 years, do we recruit for the longer term future i.e. the best of the young draftees, or, take the top-up route of Trading for more mature players to "fill the gap."

It will be very interesting to hear what the Club says (if anything)about its future intentions.

If we fill the gaps then we are history for the next 10 years. Must be a total rebuild. We shouldnt recruit any player over 24 years of age for the next 2 years which means no FA for 2 years. Then we go for it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Saad should not have been gifted a game when players like Ross and Ledger are putting in a big effort at Sandy- that doesn't give off good signs
Yep.

One positive is we might have found a key forward for the future in Tom Lee.

Now to find a full back, centre half back, centreman to replace Lenny and centre half forward to replace Riewoldt.

In other words, we need almost a complete goal-to-goal line up. Our lack of structure, particularly defensively, is appalling.

And, to tell you the truth, I don't see a lot of star quality in most of the kids we've been playing. Wright may be an exception, maybe Webster, maybe Ross ... but in the main they appear to be good average players in the making.

I wish I could say I see light at the end of the tunnel and foresee a time that Watters leads us to the finals, but I don't. However, I've been wrong before.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 04 Aug 2013 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
spert wrote:Saad should not have been gifted a game when players like Ross and Ledger are putting in a big effort at Sandy- that doesn't give off good signs
Yep.

Now to find a full back, centre half back, centreman to replace Lenny and centre half forward to replace Riewoldt.

In other words, we need almost a complete goal-to-goal line up. Our lack of structure, particularly defensively, is appalling.

I wish I could say I see light at the end of the tunnel and foresee a time that Watters leads us to the finals, but I don't. However, I've been wrong before.

When?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:The big question is that with the likes of Rooey, Dal, Monty, Lenny, Milne coming to an end over the next 1-2 years, do we recruit for the longer term future i.e. the best of the young draftees, or, take the top-up route of Trading for more mature players to "fill the gap."

If we fill the gaps then we are history for the next 10 years. Must be a total rebuild. We shouldnt recruit any player over 24 years of age for the next 2 years which means no FA for 2 years. Then we go for it.

Probably correct, but will be an extremely hard sell to the supporters. Dont think Watters will survive either if we go down this path, unless, and this is a big unless, the STKFC board back him totally, and the players back him totally. They will just have to hold their nerve, but in football and the culture of the AFL can a Scott Watters be given slack to "fail" for another two to three years?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Yep.

When?

Ha ha, plenty of times. More often than you even.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Probably correct, but will be an extremely hard sell to the supporters. Dont think Watters will survive either if we go down this path, unless, and this is a big unless, the STKFC board back him totally, and the players back him totally. They will just have to hold their nerve, but in football and the culture of the AFL can a Scott Watters be given slack to "fail" for another two to three years?
No he cant. Its just a bad time to coach our club. In his first 3 years we are very likely to have two bottom 3 finishes. i doubting he will get an extension if that is the case or if he does it maybe only one more year because are then still likely to be bottom 3. The next coach will probably benefit if our development is up to standard.

spot on
Club Player

I think most of our young guys look like they will be half decent players, apart from fergs game, they all have looked alright. We just don't seem to have to real talent / X factor ATM to worry to many teams. Something like what rich was able to do to us last night. I'm sure our pick 3 next year will provide some of that

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I like saunders. Needs to have better decision making but that will come. Stanley was good early last night and Webster will be a good player. Not sold on Curren at all. Just looks so small out there. The real negative for me was the club deciding to play Rooy. As one famous poster said after one game last year he moved like a super rules player last night. I dont get why he would play. Its not fair on him or the side. If the injury wont get worse he still shouldnt play as he obvious cant move properly. if it could get worse sack the lot of them.

Agree with all that believe it or not.
Our season is done - we are playing for 3rd pick.
Why risk Rooey now?
Surely just rest him up for next year and prolong his career rather than grind him down for no reason.
We might as well play the Bog Kos now.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd say he puts his hand up.

Played injured many times.

Would of saved him for the Melbourne game, no point going interstate in that state

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if we rested Roo we would be hit with Tanking. not that it matters really

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:if we rested Roo we would be hit with Tanking. not that it matters really
How?

Was on the bench much of the last quarter last week.

Clearly not right.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

THE BIGGEST POSITIVE WAS LEIGH FISHER UMPIRING !

We won the count 19 - 7 ! no coincidence of course .
Please Afl schedule that nice mr fisher to umpire all our games in the future .

In red white and black from 73
battye
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Armitage, best game yet, and against some competition unlike the GWS game earlier this year.
I can't go past that game against Hawthorn, I think in 2009, where we rested all our guns - still won - and Armitage took the 3 votes.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

battye wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Armitage, best game yet, and against some competition unlike the GWS game earlier this year.
I can't go past that game against Hawthorn, I think in 2009, where we rested all our guns - still won - and Armitage took the 3 votes.
buddy lost a tooth that game... that was a great game.. showed the power house we were at the time.

Fortius Quo Fidelius